Potential Playoff Blackouts

zonabb

Read on PFT that the Minnesota and San Diego homes game this weekend are not selling well and might be blacked out. Amazing to me really. Both are pretty well-to-do communities with a lot of business and white collar jobs, especially compared to Bflo. I can't see any situation where a playoff game here would ever not be sold out immediately. Makes you wonder how a town like this could potentially lose a team with the kind of support they get (well, I know how, profit the team could reap somewhere else!).

Read on PFT that the Minnesota and San Diego homes game this weekend are not selling well and might be blacked out. Amazing to me really. Both are pretty well-to-do communities with a lot of business and white collar jobs, especially compared to Bflo. I can't see any situation where a playoff game here would ever not be sold out immediately. Makes you wonder how a town like this could potentially lose a team with the kind of support they get (well, I know how, profit the team could reap somewhere else!).

The Super Chargers are always one of the teams mentioned when they talk about relocation.

The Oilers comeback game was blacked out.

See: Rich Stadium, January 3, 1993.

The Oilers comeback game was blacked out.

Not only was it blacked out "live," but the NFL refused to let a replay of the game to be aired in the weeks following the comeback. They did allow the Bills to put together a highlight/clip show for the city (most of whom only heard the game on radio) that aired on Channel 7, I believe.

We had already gone to two Super Bowls, and a wildcard home game just didn't "do it" for a lot of fans...Especially after those same Oilers had crushed us on their field the week prior. I was still surprised that the game didn't sell out.

I believe our playoff game against the Jags in 96??? I think it was Natron Means running over us in that one. And that kick hit the right up right and bounced in to give them a 30-27 win over us. I do believe this was the last home playoff game we had as well.

Yeah, thanks for that memory. The first time I met Mike Hollis after the Bills signed him, I told him, "You know, I've spent the last five years hating you." He smiled and replied, "I've been hearing that a lot since I got here."

And yes, that was the last playoff game at Rich Stadium. Not sure about a blackout, but the listed attendance was just 70k, so it's possible.

I believe our playoff game against the Jags in 96??? I think it was Natron Means running over us in that one. And that kick hit the right up right and bounced in to give them a 30-27 win over us. I do believe this was the last home playoff game we had as well.

Correct. I went on Ticketmaster the day before that game when I heard it wasn't sold out. Then-wife and I hoped in the car and headed up to Buffalo. It was my first trip to the Ralph and my only Bills playoff game.

Thanks for the confirmation on that JAX game; Relentless didn't have anything. And because I live on the border between Buffalo and Pittsburgh, we get multiple NBC stations, so all of those blacked-out playoff games were available down here.

Correct. I went on Ticketmaster the day before that game when I heard it wasn't sold out. Then-wife and I hoped in the car and headed up to Buffalo. It was my first trip to the Ralph and my only Bills playoff game.

And the Bills lost?

:thumbsup:

1993 Comeback and 1996 Jags games were both blacked out

Yeah, a lot of people with short memories around here don't realize that Buffalo had trouble selling out a lot of playoff games. I remember one game, I think it was an Oakland playoff game (no, not the 51-3 blowout), where it was something like zero degrees, and it only sold out after the NFL extended the deadline. Then, the day of the game it was a real mess because most of the tickets were sold very late, so they had to be picked up at will call. It caused a huge mess, and a lot of people missed the beginning of the game. We also struggled selling out a playoff game against Joe freaking Montana! I remember that game for the "Deal With It" sign in the end zone. That created a national catch phrase, and Tonya Harding even used it. Great - now I'm comparing Bills playoff games to Tonya Harding.

Was the lack of a sellout in '93 due to a lack of interest by fans or an inability to sell to 80,000 fans? As I seem to remember the Bills routinely were among the league leaders in attendance, but quite often didn't sellout due to the size of Rich Stadium. Just curious.

Was the lack of a sellout in '93 due to a lack of interest by fans or an inability to sell to 80,000 fans? As I seem to remember the Bills routinely were among the league leaders in attendance, but quite often didn't sellout due to the size of Rich Stadium. Just curious.

The Comeback game was a witch to sell because it was a short week, with the New Year's Day holiday falling in the middle. Plus, as previously noted, getting waxed by the same opponent in the season finale (and losing Kelly in the process) didn't help.

The Comeback game was a witch to sell because it was a short week, with the New Year's Day holiday falling in the middle. Plus, as previously noted, getting waxed by the same opponent in the season finale (and losing Kelly in the process) didn't help.

I don't doubt that at all. But, according to some googling the attendance was 75,141. Pretty good, I'd say - about 17,000 more than at the SD/KC wildcard game. So, I'd say we should give Bills' fans some credit for showing up, despite the non-sellout.

I don't doubt that at all. But, according to some googling the attendance was 75,141. Pretty good, I'd say - about 17,000 more than at the SD/KC wildcard game. So, I'd say we should give Bills' fans some credit for showing up, despite the non-sellout.

But if you talk to people who said they were there, the attendance would be more around 250,000.

I will admit, I watched it at home, can't remember if it was the Syracuse or Watertown station I saw it on.