what would you rather see the bills draft

Drew026

You would behappy with the bills sticking with preston? A guy who didn't realise the QB was in a shotgun position? Started a fight with the NE Defence today instead of hurrying back to set up for a FG with seconds left in the first half today?

Fowler lost his job to Preston, and there has been no difference in the play.

Read my post again.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Defensive linemen early and often. We got schooled Pop Warner style by a team that threw 8 passes all game. Embarrsing

I don't totally disagree...but did you know that the Bills averaged 4.6 yards per run play, and the Pats* only averaged 3.6 yards. today. 3rd (and 4th) downs were the real problem, today.

1st pick has to be an impact player. Centers usually aren't drafted that high and neither are TE's. The Bills could probably use both but a 2nd round pick would probably suffice.

I'd say the position that could make the most impact for 2009 would be a LB or someone to help the pass rush at DE or DT that would displace one of our current slackers...um....I mean starters.

I think this is a good post, and I have to agree. The middle of the OL is a weakness, but not as glaring as the play at DE. An additional DT to put alongside Stroud wouldn't be bad either.

10 is too high to pick a C or TE with the other needs on this team. If they could find a trading partner I wouldn't be opposed to taking a player at those positions in a trade down, though.

I don't totally disagree...but did you know that the Bills averaged 4.6 yards per run play, and the Pats* only averaged 3.6 yards. today. 3rd (and 4th) downs were the real problem, today.

It was the efficiency of the drives. Yards per carry are never really a stat I look at. The real story was the depth at runningback for NE compared to Buffalo. You can look at the stats and say "it wasn't that bad" but sammy morris and jordan killed us when it mattered. Consistently putting the pats in good down and distance, and the Bills were helpless to stop it. Tom Brady is back next year. If a philosophy by the Bills isn't changed we will never beat NE, until Belichick retires. It's beyond disgusting at this point.

It was the efficiency of the drives. Yards per carry are never really a stat I look at. The real story was the depth at runningback for NE compared to Buffalo. You can look at the stats and say "it wasn't that bad" but sammy morris and jordan killed us when it mattered. Consistently putting the pats in good down and distance, and the Bills were helpless to stop it. Tom Brady is back next year. If a philosophy by the Bills isn't changed we will never beat NE, until Belichick retires. It's beyond disgusting at this point.

And Cassel. He had some huge runs on 4th down.

I'm torn. I our d line right now except for the interior. We need a legit pass rusher and I've fallen in love with everette brown from florida stat but I also wouldn't mind having that freak safety from usc taylor mays

I agree Mays is a monster and looks like a good safety. If they sign a pass rusher like Suggs that move may make sense.

It was the efficiency of the drives. Yards per carry are never really a stat I look at. The real story was the depth at runningback for NE compared to Buffalo. You can look at the stats and say "it wasn't that bad" but sammy morris and jordan killed us when it mattered. Consistently putting the pats in good down and distance, and the Bills were helpless to stop it. Tom Brady is back next year. If a philosphy by the Bills isn't changed we will never beat NE, until Belichick retires. It's beyond disgusting at this point.

As I said, the problem was situational. But a full yard per rushing play is a big difference, and holding the Pats* to 3.6 suggests that the DL was not a total sieve (WHOAH!). :lol:

And Cassel. He had some huge runs on 4th down.

He was the biggest killer, IMO. The Bills actually did fairly well on the traditional rushing plays, for much of the game. The Pats* scored one TD, with the help of a short field due to a turnover.

As I said, the problem was situational. But a full yard per rushing play is a big difference, and holding the Pats* to 3.6 suggests that the DL was not a total sieve (WHOAH!). :lol:

Hey I didn't really disagree with your post, but this dline is anything but good, or even average. Constructed as is will never be good enough to win in the postseason. The norm in the postseason would be those series of 8-9 minute 80 yard drives we've given up several times this year. If you wanna feel good about how they played today. Let's just be happy the weather was too sh------- for NE to pass. Otherwise the score would really reflect how inept the front 7 is.

Hey I didn't really disagree with your post, but this dline is anything but good, or even average. Constructed as is will never be good enough to win in the postseason. The norm in the postseason would be those series of 8-9 minute 80 yard drives we've given up several times this year. If you wanna feel good about how they played today. Let's just be happy the weather was too sh------- for NE to pass. Otherwise the score would really reflect how inept the front 7 is.

No doubt. The Bills need at least one DE (that is assuming Schobel returns and has something left) and another good DT. A quality LB will help, too. I think that, for the most part, the DBs are in good shape...especially if there is any pass rush whatsoever. Depth always helps, though (especially if they are losing Greer and Youboty), and wouldn't mind a mid round DB, or mid level FA.

Offense is Center and TE (musts)...the rest is pretty open, I think. Depth at O Line would be nice and wrap up Peters. If Jackson is gone, another RB is a consideration (unless you are sold on Oman). Also, are the Bills ever going to get a good FB again?

A better offence that can score more then 20 points a game would keep the defence off the field for more then they have been this season, and maybe they could sustain longer drives then. The defence doesn't get enough credit for how they have played this year. They were not bad, and only had at the most 4 games maybe were they were bad. having an offence that is a threat to score will help the defence alot more because the players don't have to be afraid of giving up a score that will cost them the game, and they can attack more and be more aggressive. When the offence is barely a threat to most defences, the Bills D can't play as aggressive because its not likely that if they do give up a TD or FG that the offence will get it back for them. They have to play near perfect in order to make up for the offences ineptness.

Improve the offence and the Bills are a playoff team

A better offence that can score more then 20 points a game would keep the defence off the field for more then they have been this season, and maybe they could sustain longer drives then. The defence doesn't get enough credit for how they have played this year. They were not bad, and only had at the most 4 games maybe were they were bad. having an offence that is a threat to score will help the defence alot more because the players don't have to be afraid of giving up a score that will cost them the game, and they can attack more and be more aggressive. When the offence is barely a threat to most defences, the Bills D can't play as aggressive because its not likely that if they do give up a TD or FG that the offence will get it back for them. They have to play near perfect in order to make up for the offences ineptness.

When you were talking about long drives and not getting off the field, you were talking about OUR defense, right?

I don't disagree in theory. I disagree that the Bills have the personell to be agressive. They just don't. If this team played a more agressive approach on defense they would yield 30 points a game on a consistent basis. They kept us in some games. Strictly on their ability to keep plays infront of them. Of course scoring will be low when you're on the field for a series of 6-8 minute drives during the course of a game. You can throw this lack of offense stuff around. At the end of the day teams like pitt/baltimore don't exactly have good offenses but they're superbowl contenders. Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships.

A solid, dominant de makes all the difference on ANY defense. If there is one available. I was just thinking how much I missed Bruce today.

Look at the superbowl champs from a few years past, all of them have a de that can take over at any time.

Centre or TE

Without serious upgrades to the offence, this team would need a defence that would overshadow the greatest defence ever in the NFL and have to hold teams to less then 7 points a game to keep the Bills chances alive.

The current defence is good enough to make the playoffs with an offence that can score more then 20 points a game. Once the offence is capable of that, they can continue building a much more dominant defence.

But as for the 2 players you listed, I would rather go with the D-linemen as that is a slightly bigger need then Safety.

I agree with C and TE, though perhaps guard, depending on talent. Duke Preston should be cut by New Years for his blunder today.

I've been saying for 8-9 years that the o-line must be improved before this team dominates again. If you can't score, you can't win, and the o-line, more than any other factor is the reason we can't score. The 3rd and 1 failures over the last 8 years are appalling.

I agree with C and TE, though perhaps guard, depending on talent. Duke Preston should be cut by New Years for his blunder today.

I've been saying for 8-9 years that the o-line must be improved before this team dominates again. If you can't score, you can't win, and the o-line, more than any other factor is the reason we can't score. The 3rd and 1 failures over the last 8 years are appalling.

Clearly, Preston is the reason our offense can't score. :unsure:

You always take the big man over the safety...besides, too much invested in your current crop of safety's....

Our safety's SUCK!!! We need a fast TE, C , OLB, DT, DE, and at least one if not two saftety's. Simpson and Whitner BLOW. Scott is good on short yardage, but couldn't cover a corpse in a phone booth. We obviously have a lot of holes because we have drafted poorly and done poorly in free agency for far too long.

has everyone forgot the problem at Quarterback. Nooone and I repeat noone on this board can feel real comfortable with Trent Edwards going into 2009 as our starter. I am not convivnced in the slightest that he has what it takes to lead this team to many victories.

has everyone forgot the problem at Quarterback. Nooone and I repeat noone on this board can feel real comfortable with Trent Edwards going into 2009 as our starter. I am not convivnced in the slightest that he has what it takes to lead this team to many victories.

Without improving the O-line, upgrading QB won't matter. The Bills have been thru QB's at a faster rate than coaches since Kelly retired. Trent is not Kelly, but he's had better games than JP, Collins, and RJ. Only Flutie and Bledsoe have had reasonable effectiveness at QB but neither could sustain it, and one reason was they didn't have an O-line that could deliver a consistent running game. Lynch and Jackson are an excellent tandem, but they resemble OJ in the pre-Saban years (no outside blocking support, no holes up front). Fix the o-line, and the running game and QB improve with it.