Trade Jason Peters

TheBlackMamba

The fact is 90% of Bills' fans hate Peters now. Why not trade him? It would be good for both the fans and Peters.

woah, Woah, WOAH. 90% of Bills' fans hate Peters? What 90% is that? Do you mean 90% of the voices you hear in your head? Are you insane?

Your opinion may be that he is not as good as advertised, which his NFL peers and opposing coaches would argue is ridiculous since they're the ones that voted him to 2 straight pro bowls (and I bet they know more about the game than you or I). We know (from NFL.com) that Peters didn't finish in the top 4 at the position in fan voting, so who do you think voted him in? You can have your opinion, but don't state it as though it's a fact. I bet that fewer than half of the Bills fans out there have any negative feelings towards him at all, and I'll bet half of those people don't hate him. You're being ridiculous.

Yes, he missed some blocks this year. I can think of bad one-on-ones against Groves (Jax), Burgess (Oak), LaBoy (Ari), and Porter (Mia) off the top of my head, but I'm having trouble recalling any others. Fact of the matter is that the majority of them came in the first 6 games he played. In the second half of the season, he played extremely well. How many of Marshawn Lynch's big late-season runs did Peters spring? How many times did he snuff opponents in pass protection?

Earlier this season, PFW did a snippet about his early-season struggles (I can't find the link to it) in which Hub Arkish wrote that when he spoke with personnel men from all 16 AFC teams, Peters' name came up in the first two mentioned as the top tackles in the conference. Like it or not, he is one of the best at his position. Trade him, and you'll be watching him play at a pro bowl level for the rest of his career, not to mention that you'd still need to find a left tackle, which this organization couldn't do for 12 years after Will Wolford left via FA.

Sorry, but this is a depressingly misguided thread. You don't trade a pro bowl left tackle. Ever. For any reason. The last team I can remember doing it was New Orleans, when they traded Willie Roaf to Kansas City, and watched him block for the best rushing attack in football for the next 6 years.

Remember that Coaches and players voted him in. Like it or not the guy is a dominant force. I for one hope the Bills do not get stupid. It will be hard to attract other quality players to Buffalo if they appear to be cheap with Peters. Sign him to a good deal. He is a player the line can be built off of.

You, my friend, hit the nail right between the eyes. :)

Did anyone else not notice we were missing peters on sunday??? The guy is going to his second (undeserved) pro bowl which is going to increase his leverage in the contact this off season. He is probably going to want to be paid like the best left tackle in football which he has every right to command. I think that if he is our best player and we win without him then whats the sense of paying him ridiculous amounts of money when there are more holes to fill. If the bills dont offer him an extension this off season it is going to lead to another hold out. Right now he is probably saying "sh*t, i can hold out all off season, miss a game and play like sh*t for most of the seaon and still go to the pro bowl". Plus he said everything i need to know about his character last week when he said "this is what i play for, to go hawaii". Actually jason as herm edwards said "you play to win the game" and win super bowls. He doesnt seem to make the team that much better when he plays and i would assume his trade value is pretty high so get rid of this guy

It is VERY unlikely that it was "Undeserved." I would bet that the players and coaches know more about these players and how good they are, than any one of us on this board. Jason Peters is very deserving of his Pro-Bowl trips, and he should be rewarded for his achievements ASAP! Besides the Lynch/Jackson combo, Jason Peters is the best thing we have going for us. Do you understand how hard it is to find a Left Tackle of that caliber? Sure, maybe Kirk Chambers has stepped in and played admirably a few times, but he certainly would not hold up for the long haul...especially against Elite D-Ends, week in and week out. He held Elvis Dumervil in check the other day...WOW! Let's see him play against Jason Taylor, Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney, Justin Tuck and Osi...some of the guys that Peters has dominated!

Sorry...I have liked this fella since he was a 300 pound Tight End at Arkansas with Matt Jones as the QB. I just DO NOT think getting rid of our BEST Offensive Lineman would be a good idea right now, since its the MOST important position. Think about it...without him blocking for the QB, there would be no QB. So I rate LT above QB in terms of importance.

Just a thought. Good day.

I think it would be organizational malpractice to not try and make a deal trading Peters. His value is through the roof but his play doesn't seem to be that big of a factor on the field. The drop off between him and even Chambers isn't big enough to not try and swing a major Patriots style killing.

Did anyone else not notice we were missing peters on sunday??? The guy is going to his second (undeserved) pro bowl which is going to increase his leverage in the contact this off season. He is probably going to want to be paid like the best left tackle in football which he has every right to command. I think that if he is our best player and we win without him then whats the sense of paying him ridiculous amounts of money when there are more holes to fill. If the bills dont offer him an extension this off season it is going to lead to another hold out. Right now he is probably saying "sh*t, i can hold out all off season, miss a game and play like sh*t for most of the seaon and still go to the pro bowl". Plus he said everything i need to know about his character last week when he said "this is what i play for, to go hawaii". Actually jason as herm edwards said "you play to win the game" and win super bowls. He doesnt seem to make the team that much better when he plays and i would assume his trade value is pretty high so get rid of this guy

So, wanting to be the best in the league at your position, which is what gets you sent to Hawaii, is a character flaw?

I wish every player on the team had that character flaw, then.

I think it would be organizational malpractice to not try and make a deal trading Peters. His value is through the roof but his play doesn't seem to be that big of a factor on the field. The drop off between him and even Chambers isn't big enough to not try and swing a major Patriots style killing.

Right, I mean, look at the second Miami game. Chambers was in the game for 2 plays and gave up 2 sacks to Joey Porter (one resulted in a fumble).

Porter's stats for the remainder of the game (vs. Peters)...zero tackles, one assist.

I'd say that's a pretty significant dropoff. Perhaps it's just that you don't notice the TREMENDOUS dropoff against teams like Seattle and Denver, who are 28th and 30th in the league in total defense.

What say you?

THAT RIGHT THERE shows how much you know about the game of Football. Peters, deserving or not, has made 2...TWO Pro-Bowls. Who the hell is Kirk Chambers and where did he come from? He is a servicable BACKUP Lineman for the Buffalo Bills, who has stepped in and done a pretty good job when needed. Chambers would NOT start on MANY other teams...he would NOT even make the team if he played in New England, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, NYG and NYJ, Carolina, Miami, Dallas, Denver...etc etc. Let's put it this way...NO Playoff team would have Kirk Chambers playing for them.

On the other hand...Jason Peters would START on almost EVERY team's line, if not at LT, then somewhere else.

I got my 1 GOOD laugh in for the day. Thank you.

THAT RIGHT THERE shows how much you know about the game of Football. Peters, deserving or not, has made 2...TWO Pro-Bowls. Who the hell is Kirk Chambers and where did he come from? He is a servicable BACKUP Lineman for the Buffalo Bills, who has stepped in and done a pretty good job when needed. Chambers would NOT start on MANY other teams...he would NOT even make the team if he played in New England, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, NYG and NYJ, Carolina, Miami, Dallas, Denver...etc etc. Let's put it this way...NO Playoff team would have Kirk Chambers playing for them.

On the other hand...Jason Peters would START on almost EVERY team's line, if not at LT, then somewhere else.

I got my 1 GOOD laugh in for the day. Thank you.

getting named to the Pro Bowl doesn't mean much to me. It's a popularity contest.

When you have an asset that's overvalued you sell it when it's overvalued.

I'm not sure why you think my post was a ringing endorsement for Chambers - it wasn't meant to be at all. I wouldn't want to rely on Chambers as a starter. But if Chambers is a bum backup and Peters is the best in the league - the difference should show more on the field. Why not try relying on a normal NFL starter and pick up a boatload of high draft picks if we can? If we can't? so be it. Keep the pro-bowler.

Mind as well keep him and pay him. It's not like Ralph is going to use the money saved elsewhere if we trade him.

Unbelievable. More "Ralph is cheap" garbage? You know, he DID spend $50M on Dockery and another $25M on Walker in one off-season. He also spend another $75M on Schobel and Kelsay. So I'd say shelling out over $150M in contracts in one off-season is the EXACT OPPOSITE of cheap. And you can't blame him for who he's paying, those decisions get made by the John Guy's of the world, and the way the contract is negotiated falls on the shoulders of Jim Overdorf.

He's not cheap. Practically every team is well under the salary cap now, that's how teams operate in today's NFL.

If there's something to criticize Ralph for, it's that he doesn't pay top dollar for a coach.

woah, Woah, WOAH. 90% of Bills' fans hate Peters? What 90% is that? Do you mean 90% of the voices you hear in your head? Are you insane?

Your opinion may be that he is not as good as advertised, which his NFL peers and opposing coaches would argue is ridiculous since they're the ones that voted him to 2 straight pro bowls (and I bet they know more about the game than you or I). We know (from NFL.com) that Peters didn't finish in the top 4 at the position in fan voting, so who do you think voted him in? You can have your opinion, but don't state it as though it's a fact. I bet that fewer than half of the Bills fans out there have any negative feelings towards him at all, and I'll bet half of those people don't hate him. You're being ridiculous.

Yes, he missed some blocks this year. I can think of bad one-on-ones against Groves (Jax), Burgess (Oak), LaBoy (Ari), and Porter (Mia) off the top of my head, but I'm having trouble recalling any others. Fact of the matter is that the majority of them came in the first 6 games he played. In the second half of the season, he played extremely well. How many of Marshawn Lynch's big late-season runs did Peters spring? How many times did he snuff opponents in pass protection?

Earlier this season, PFW did a snippet about his early-season struggles (I can't find the link to it) in which Hub Arkish wrote that when he spoke with personnel men from all 16 AFC teams, Peters' name came up in the first two mentioned as the top tackles in the conference. Like it or not, he is one of the best at his position. Trade him, and you'll be watching him play at a pro bowl level for the rest of his career, not to mention that you'd still need to find a left tackle, which this organization couldn't do for 12 years after Will Wolford left via FA.

Sorry, but this is a depressingly misguided thread. You don't trade a pro bowl left tackle. Ever. For any reason. The last team I can remember doing it was New Orleans, when they traded Willie Roaf to Kansas City, and watched him block for the best rushing attack in football for the next 6 years.

This is a very well written and poignant post on the topic. Too bad some folks here will want to run Peters out of town a la Ruben Brown.

You don't trade a concensus top LT in the prime of his career. You pay him what he's worth.

getting named to the Pro Bowl doesn't mean much to me. It's a popularity contest.

When you have an asset that's overvalued you sell it when it's overvalued.

I'm not sure why you think my post was a ringing endorsement for Chambers - it wasn't meant to be at all. I wouldn't want to rely on Chambers as a starter. But if Chambers is a bum backup and Peters is the best in the league - the difference should show more on the field. Why not try relying on a normal NFL starter and pick up a boatload of high draft picks if we can? If we can't? so be it. Keep the pro-bowler.

Awfully hard to back that comment up when you look at the rosters...

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d...mp;confirm=true

Just about the only player it applies to is Favre. I mean come on, if it were such a popularity contest wouldn't the whole roster be stacked with Patriots?

Awfully hard to back that comment up when you look at the rosters...

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d...mp;confirm=true

Just about the only player it applies to is Favre. I mean come on, if it were such a popularity contest wouldn't the whole roster be stacked with Patriots?

you could make an argument against half the Cowboys and Redskins that made the team. I think the receiver and defensive selections were very good this year. QB was a joke with Favre. Offensive line is most consistently the worst selections - most prone to repeats and reputation. Joe Thomas was not very good this year from what I heard and neither was Peters or Chris Samuels. That doesn't mean they're not great players though.

I know we need his ability at LT, but I worry about his attitude being a problem even if he gets paid. Over the last few years he seems to sit out if he a little banged up not a tough guy that we need to move the pile in the playoffs. If the Bills could get enough in return I would not be against it....Too bad Cleveland is not dumb enough to trade Joe Thomas for Peters.

Unbelievable. More "Ralph is cheap" garbage? You know, he DID spend $50M on Dockery and another $25M on Walker in one off-season. He also spend another $75M on Schobel and Kelsay. So I'd say shelling out over $150M in contracts in one off-season is the EXACT OPPOSITE of cheap. And you can't blame him for who he's paying, those decisions get made by the John Guy's of the world, and the way the contract is negotiated falls on the shoulders of Jim Overdorf.

He's not cheap. Practically every team is well under the salary cap now, that's how teams operate in today's NFL.

If there's something to criticize Ralph for, it's that he doesn't pay top dollar for a coach.

What part of 22 million under the cap, 3rd highest in NFL, don't you understand?

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

Yeah, trade our starting LT in the prime of his career. lets go with Chambers or another rookie, sure makes a lot of sense..

Thank god there is someone or 2 with some sense here. You don't build a team by trading away ur best players, cut the fat from somewhere else Dockery, Kelsay, Walker and poss.Schobel who knows if that injury will fully heal . My point is other players have been here long enough and we haven't won w/ them. Also what does that say to the younger players on this team, we already have the stigma of not paying player as it is.....PAY THE MAN AND ADD MORE PLAYMAKERS !!!

What part of 22 million under the cap, 3rd highest in NFL, don't you understand?

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

At what point did I insinuate that I don't understand how far below the cap the Bills are? I don't normally question people's intelligence on account that I find it very rude, but in your case I am willing to make an exception.

My exact quote was that "practically every team operates well under the salary cap", which--according to your information (dated March 15, 2008 by the way)--is accurate. You know, seeing as how 19 of the 32 teams in the NFL operate more than $6M under the cap, and exactly half the teams are more than $10M under the cap. You have to be the among the worst debaters in the universe to try and use this link to cut up my argument.

I would suggest that YOU are the one that doesn't understand the economics of the game. Outside of posting an outdated link to salary cap figures (which, by the way, shows Detroit as having spent the most money--nice support for whatever weak argument you half-a$$edly attempted to make), what basis do you have for arguing my point that Ralph spent significant money in the last 2 years ($150M on 4 players) to try to improve the team?

Or, maybe--to put it in terms you'll relate to--what part of $150 million on 4 players don't you understand?