(ot) Sirius or XM

JinVA

I'm looking into these for my home. I'm not concerned with NFL or Stern particularly. I'm more interested in music genre choices, and how the categories are broke down. Especially when it comes to jazz and blues. I'm assuming its not all lumped into just one general jazz category, but that I would have several options for jazz etc. Anyhoo you get the point. What do you guys and gals suggest.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking into these for my home.  I'm not concerned with NFL or Stern particularly.  I'm more interested in music genre choices, and how the categories are broke down. Especially when it comes to jazz and blues. I'm assuming its not all lumped into just one general jazz category, but that I would have several options for jazz etc. Anyhoo you get the point.  What do you guys and gals suggest.

89893[/snapback]

Go to their websites and browse around. I know you can get a free, three day pass to listen to Sirius over the internet to get a feel for it. XM probably has the same feature.

Go to their websites and browse around.  I know you can get a free, three day pass to listen to Sirius over the internet to get a feel for it.  XM probably has the same feature.

89967[/snapback]

XM= Clear Channel :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: , so i'd recommend Sirius.

I have Sirius and love it. I've checked out my friend's XM and like it too. The biggest differences (to me... and I could give a crap about the Jazz blues offering so you'll have to check that out yourself):

Sirius Pros:

NFL

Stern-- not because I listen to the show, but because he will bring revenue to Sirius which will mean bigger better programming)

NPR

Multiple choices for receivers (XM has just one receiver maker, albiet a good one, in Delphi)

XM Pros:

Better music variety (although Sirius offers a jillion channels, XM has a few I wish I could hear... progressive rock being one)

Music shows seem to have better programming (on Sirius, it's song after song... on XM, they break it up with more theme hours and whatnot)

More talk stations (but again, Sirius has a ton of those too)

all MLB games starting in 2005

Both have these pros:

Lots of music

Never lose signal unless you are under a mountain or in the rain forest

Lots of talk

Basically endless variety

Good sound quality, although to be honest, they could both be better on this.

Both have these cons:

When driving and twiddling the receiver, you are more dangerous than a person who just drank a bottle of Jack.

In short, they are really similar, and you should make your choice after reviewing both. When you compare the station lists, you'll see that they both have 10 flavors of rock, decade stations from 1940, kids stations, sports talk stations, etc... I don't think you'll be disappointed in either one. My only real complaint about Sirius is that they don't have a progressive rock station. But that's a narrow genre to cater to, so I understand.

I have Sirius and love it. I've checked out my friend's XM and like it too. The biggest differences (to me... and I could give a crap about the Jazz blues offering so you'll have to check that out yourself):

Sirius Pros:

NFL

Stern-- not because I listen to the show, but because he will bring revenue to Sirius which will mean bigger better programming)

NPR

Multiple choices for receivers (XM has just one receiver maker, albiet a good one, in Delphi)

XM Pros:

Better music variety (although Sirius offers a jillion channels, XM has a few I wish I could hear... progressive rock being one)

Music shows seem to have better programming (on Sirius, it's song after song... on XM, they break it up with more theme hours and whatnot)

Both have these pros:

Lots of music

Lots of talk

Both have these cons:

When driving and twiddling the receiver, you are more dangerous than a person who just drank a bottle of Jack.

In short, they are really similar, and you should make your choice after reviewing both. When you compare the station lists, you'll see that they both have 10 flavors of rock,  decade stations from 1940, kids stations, sports talk stations, etc... I don't think you'll be disappointed in either one. My only real complaint about Sirius is that they don't have a progressive rock station. But that's a narrow genre to cater to, so I understand.

90015[/snapback]

JA, I posted and deleted after re-reading your post. Stern did sign with Sirius for sure? I heard it was a 100M contract and the sat. outfit that signed him showed a 20M revenue for the year.

GM supports XM, and they are a big cheese, and certainly hit one out of the park with On-Star, which is licensed to several manufacturers...

I'm looking into these for my home.  I'm not concerned with NFL or Stern particularly.  I'm more interested in music genre choices, and how the categories are broke down. Especially when it comes to jazz and blues. I'm assuming its not all lumped into just one general jazz category, but that I would have several options for jazz etc. Anyhoo you get the point.  What do you guys and gals suggest.

89893[/snapback]

Sirius lists 6 Jazz channels, not sure how many XM has. And do what DC suggested, go to the Sirius webpage and click on "Listen Now" in the upper right corner. You can sign up for a 3 day pass to check out all the music channels.

Sirius Pros:

NFL

NPR

XM Pros:

Both have these pros:

Lots of music

Lots of talk

Both have these cons:

In short, they are really similar, and you should make your choice after reviewing both. When you compare the station lists, you'll see that they both have 10 flavors of rock,  decade stations from 1940, kids stations, sports talk stations, etc... I don't think you'll be disappointed in either one. My only real complaint about Sirius is that they don't have a progressive rock station. But that's a narrow genre to cater to, so I understand.

90015[/snapback]

Wait, are you saying that MLB will no longer broadcast games over the net?

One thing you may want to keep in mind is the subscription model.

Sirius charges you one set price per month ($12.95) but you get everything.

XM also charges a monthly fee but has shown a willingness to charge additional money for certain channels (want Opie and Anthony? That's an extra $2 a month).

Satellite radio is still in ints infantcy and today's pricing models might not be the same a year from now, but it can be very telling if you see which direction each company is going now.

Sirius Pros:

NFL

NPR

XM Pros:

Both have these pros:

Lots of music

Lots of talk

Both have these cons:

90015[/snapback]

Thats my biggest concern, is purchasing one and then finding out the other has something I would listen to alot. And it's not just jazz & blues I'm concerned with, its all genre's. Thanks for the info

XM also charges a monthly fee but has shown a willingness to charge additional money for certain channels (want Opie and Anthony? That's an extra $2 a month).

Satellite radio is still in ints infantcy and today's pricing models might not be the same a year from now, but it can be very telling if you see which direction each company is going now.

90076[/snapback]

I actualy meant to ask about Xm's additional charges, thats something I've heard and haven't been able to find detailed info on their web site.

I have xm, and man aint that the truth. I use hertz a lot, and they have sirius, so i have used both. The music channels to me are pretty much the same. The NFL channel, (not the games), seems pretty cool.

If you travel a lot, the traffic channels on XM are GREAT!

I will say XM is much better positioned financialy.

90076[/snapback]

Well, if XM can stick customers with higher pricing, could it be that they expect to lead the market?

it seems to me that sirius began more slowly but is picking up major steam recently.

i have sirius and love it. i've repeatedly told my wife and anyone else who will listen to me that it's one of the best purchases i've ever made. the variety is very satisfactory, and, what can i say, i'm an NFL nut so sirius was the easy choice. the NFL radio channel is fantastic.

i know people w/ XM who are just as happy. i think it is really six of one and a half dozen of the other.

with respect to pricing, you can bring the cost of sirius down to the level of XM by purchasing a year of service up front. they give you three months free, so you pay roughly $10 per month. being able to listen to sirius music channels for free over the internet (if you're a subscriber) is pretty cool as well.

I chose to buy stock in Sirius because the musical programming is more or less the same and both will have the same features for ease-of-use and all that eventually. Where they differ significantly is the non-musical stuff, like the NFL and Howard Stern. Those are HUGE advantages for Sirius, and will help them attract other "terrestrial radio" artists who feel stifled by the FCC. I guess ultimately a bidding war could ensue for those 2 entities, but Sirius should dominate the market by then. At least I'm figuring. At $4 a share, it's a worthwhile gamble.

I have XM and love the Sports programming... I listen to FoxSports & Sporting News Radio all the time. I'll miss these channels when I switch to Sirius because of Stern and the NFL. I hope Sirius can grab those two as they both share ESPN Radio. ;)

XM= Clear Channel  :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: , so i'd recommend Sirius.

90013[/snapback]

Not according to their web site.. XM Investors

I have had XM for 3 years. XM is on better financial footing. Sirius is spending a heck of a lot of $ on programming and it remains to be seen if it will draw enough new subscribers to offset it.

NFL does not matter to me since I just TIVO the games off DTV. MLB on XM is great because baseball in the summer on the radio is a natural fit.

Plus, the NFL season is only 16 weeks long and (generally) only on Sundays where baseball is over half the year and practically every day. MLB is more bang for the buck.

seriously though, i like Stern and all but the only reason "shock-jocks" were edgy and risque was because they were saying stuff they werent really allowed to. When you take the rules away and give them free reign its not so cool.

neither xm nor sirius will be around long