(ot) Sirius or XM

JinVA

seriously though, i like Stern and all but the only reason "shock-jocks" were edgy and risque was because they were saying stuff they werent really allowed to.  When you take the rules away and give them free reign its not so cool.

neither xm nor sirius will be around long

True..... NY Times had an article about Opie & Anthony & now they can curse, they're not funny.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously though, i like Stern and all but the only reason "shock-jocks" were edgy and risque was because they were saying stuff they werent really allowed to.  When you take the rules away and give them free reign its not so cool.

neither xm nor sirius will be around long

90363[/snapback]

That's what "they" said about cable.

i never said people wouldnt pay for it, but the product is going to be boring, and their are MANY more choices of how you can listen to music.

i have my i-pod, i have 5000 songs in my pocket, i have stuff on it i havent even listened to yet. sure i listen to the radio for stern in the morning, but when he's gone...meh, my life goes on.

im pretty sure "cable" was only battling antenna/dish(same thing almost back then)

and im pretty sure the fcc rules apply to cable tv too.

satellite radio is up against mp3s, regular radio, cds, etc.

do i think its better than regular radio? definitely

would i PAY for better radio? heck no, i'd rather be my own DJ

and TOLL ROADS!?!? i have NO CHOICE but to drive on the toll road if i want to go to rochester, i'm not a fan/supporter/subscriber of toll roads, ya big dummy!

oh wait you live in illinois where tolls are apparently optional, come to NY.

(sorry i had to get a little fred sanford on ya there, i apologize)

i never said people wouldnt pay for it, but the product is going to be boring, and their are MANY more choices of how you can listen to music.

i have my i-pod, i have 5000 songs in my pocket, i have stuff on it i havent even listened to yet. sure i listen to the radio for stern in the morning, but when he's gone...meh, my life goes on.

im pretty sure "cable" was only battling antenna/dish(same thing almost back then)

and TOLL ROADS!?!? i have NO CHOICE but to drive on the toll road if i want to go to rochester, i'm not a fan/supporter/subscriber of toll roads, ya big dummy!

90506[/snapback]

My point was they are optional EVERYWHERE. If you want to get somewhere fast, you take them. Nobody needs them... They are convienence. People will always pay for convienence.

With Sat radio... I like the varity and mix with out the hassle of preparing it... Kinda like dining out... It is a luxury and you never know what you will get.

The crappy songs they play fro time to time I call "penance songs" really add to the enjoyment. Isn't really good to be going down the road and hear a truly awful song that jogs your memory?

;)

When driving and twiddling the receiver, you are more dangerous than a person who just drank a bottle of Jack.

I have xm, and man aint that the truth. I use hertz a lot, and they have sirius, so i have used both. The music channels to me are pretty much the same. The NFL channel, (not the games), seems pretty cool.

If you travel a lot, the traffic channels on XM are GREAT!

I will say XM is much better positioned financialy.

90155[/snapback]

Sirius has traffic and weather for big cities too.

90506[/snapback]

I have both an ipod and St. radio. They are both great for different things. When I want to be my own DJ, as you say, I can do that. When I want someone else to be my DJ, which can be a lot of fun, I do that. If anything, listening to satellite complements my ipod nicely. Sometimes I'll hear a song on Sat., copy down the name and artist, and then download it to my ipod so I won it.

Plus, on ipod, there's no live football (which matters to those of us who live with trees blocking the dumb satellite for DirecTV) or talk radio.

A gadget geek owns both. If I had to go with one, I'd go with the ipod (or equivalent).

To all you pervs, XM has a subscription plan for playboy radio. Talk about dangerous driving.

See, the thing is, people that have not had Satellite Radio (either Sirius or XM) don't understand what it's like to have it. So it's easy for them to say why bother because they have CD's, or ipods, or an MP3 player. I was hesitant at first but still asked for it at Christmas last year, with knowing I'd have to pay the monthly fee. Since then, I've never regretted it. I'm still discovering channels that I thought I wouldn't like are actually likeable. Like 38 - Folktown.

See, the thing is, people that have not had Satellite Radio (either Sirius or XM) don't understand what it's like to have it. So it's easy for them to say why bother because they have CD's, or ipods, or an MP3 player. I was hesitant at first but still asked for it at Christmas last year, with knowing I'd have to pay the monthly fee. Since then, I've never regretted it. I'm still discovering channels that I thought I wouldn't like are actually likeable. Like 38 - Folktown.

90923[/snapback]

Exactly my experience as well - try it and you'll never go back. It's like cable TV for your car - why have 4 broadcast channels when you can have over 100 channels of specialized programming?

Sure you could play your own tunes, but you never get much variety that way. Turn on satellite and you hear songs you like but haven't thought about in years (Sirius plays tons of Triumph - haven't thought about that band in years but it's great to hear them!). Sometimes I don't want to listen to music - comedy is great for a change of pace. Live sports is also great - as I drove the entire length of the NYS Thruway the Saturday before week 1 I was able to hear the entire Dolphin-Titans game - I never went out of range and the receiver constantly showed the score - how cool is that?

This is still young technology and not many people have it but I beleive they will. As a young industry neither company has a great balance sheet and Sirius has a very high burn rate but I think there very high startup costs and barriers to entry in this marketplace. Once overcome (when people start to catch on) I see this as a very viable technology. I think you're going to see companies like Sirius get bought out by Clear Channel or Infinity as the big boys realize they are going to have to place in the satellite space - it's just a matter of time. People said cable wouldn't work and they said satellite TV wouldn't work - both are successful and have companies that have matured into money making players - satellite radio will, too.

Guest Guest_Goo_*

I bought Sirius and I love it. I don't give a Rats ass about Stern or Eminem's new station. I like it for the NFL and all the great music programming. They also have the NHL if that ever happens. They have a very good indie/college rock station. For those interested in Politics, they have 2 stations for lefties and righties. Here's my favs

MUSIC:

01 SIRIUS HITS (today's hits)

08 BIG 80'S

14 Classic Vinyl (classic rock)

17 JAM ON (jam bands)

20 Octane (Hard Rock)

21 Alt. Nation (alternative)

22 First Wave (new wave) ...always good for a laugh

23 Hair Nation (Glam Metal) ...always good for a laugh

26 Left of Center (indie college)

28 Faction (energy rock & hip hop)

36 Outlaw Country

37 Bluegrass

38 Folktown

40 Hip Hop Nation

64 Chill

68 Disco

72 Jazz

SPORTS:

120 ESPN Radio

121 ESPN News

124 NFL Radio

NEWS:

104 CNN HLN

105 Fox News

106 NPR

110 Weather East

150 Traffic

TALK:

143 SIRIUS LEFT

144 AIR AMERICA RADIO

COMEDY:

146 Cracked up

147 Raw Dog

Which Channel?

91040[/snapback]

I hear Triumph all the time on BuzzSaw (19?) and Hair Nation (21?) - good stuff.

Funny thing about Triumph. I grew up listening to Toronto radio stations from across the lake (Q107) and Triumph was a staple (imagine that - lots of Rush and Triumph on a Canadian rock station). It wasn't until I moved out of WNY that I realized Triumph wasn't nearly as popular elsewhere - many people hadn't even heard of them!

Plus, on ipod, there's no live football (which matters to those of us who live with trees blocking the dumb satellite for DirecTV) or talk radio.

I won't even mention the fact that there's a 95% chance that you CAN get DirecTV (even with trees) if you had a competent installer... :(

Go to the Consumer Forum if you want me to go on my long-winded speech :wub:

On-topic, a coworker of mine had one of them installed on his Accura (came standard from the dealer; don't remember if it was XM or Sirius). Some pretty cool features, including having the name of the band/song on the display all the time. I'm still not quite ready to start paying for radio, but it might happen (especially if my commute grows to much more than 30 minute each way...)

CW

I'm still not quite ready to start paying for radio, but it might happen (especially if my commute grows to much more than 30 minute each way...) 

CW

91778[/snapback]

My commute when I first got it was between 10-20 minutes depending on how many red lights I hit.