Why are we Bills Fans? - Think about Tim Russert

BuffaloBill

Let me first say this post is not an acceptance of the current state of the Bills. I want change as much as anybody and I do not accept the nearly constant mediocrity (at best) shown by the Bills during their history.

With that said let me suggest that Tim Russert’s example reminds us all about why we too may be Bills fans. To Tim, and many of us, the Bills are more than just a NFL franchise. They are an outward and visible symbol of a region and a group of people that may be second to none in the country. Buffalo and Western New York recently been known for a “blue collar ethic.” While this is not an unfair short description it leaves out the true bigger picture. We have also been a leader in industry, technology, the arts, education and citizenry. No doubt that the people who settled into Buffalo and the surrounding region form the late 1800’s to the mid 1900’s were hard working, salt of the Earth types but they were also smart, worldly and made an impact on anyone who encountered them. These are all perfect words to describe Tim.

Buffalo and the surrounding region struggle today to build on this rich history. Yet the new sprouts are there. UB is a world class institution, Buffalo is being nationally recognized for its rich architectural heritage, Niagara Falls power generation was “green” before it was “in,” the people of Western New York still demonstrate a strong work ethic.

I can’t be certain that the Bills will remain in Buffalo long term but if there is a group of fans who can make it happen we are it. Let’s direct our passion and creativity to this end and not to arguing with each other about just how bad is the current team or what needs to be done to fix it. Jim Kelly has pronounced himself as the leader that will keep the Bills here. In Tim’s honor let’s figure out as fans how we support him in this endeavor.

Tim stood by the team through thick and thin. He suffered as we all did the indignation of losing four Superbowls in a row. Yet he also stood there to watch the incredible fans of Buffalo cheer Scott Norwood the day after “wide right.” Perhaps there is not better representation of a collective “class act” than this moment in time. Tim was also patient, he did not accept the losing that this team has seen too much of but he pushed for and knew better days were around the corner.

Tim was a part of but also fed from the passion of the Bills nation. He understood and supported the idea that the Bills are more than just a team to Buffalo. We should follow his example. Push hard to bring about change. We all want a winner and we want it kept in Buffalo. Let’s do it with the tenacity, class and humility that Tim demonstrated for all of us.

Let me first say this post is not an acceptance of the current state of the Bills. I want change as much as anybody and I do not accept the nearly constant mediocrity (at best) shown by the Bills during their history.

With that said let me suggest that Tim Russert’s example reminds us all about why we too may be Bills fans. To Tim, and many of us, the Bills are more than just a NFL franchise. They are an outward and visible symbol of a region and a group of people that may be second to none in the country. Buffalo and Western New York recently been known for a “blue collar ethic.” While this is not an unfair short description it leaves out the true bigger picture. We have also been a leader in industry, technology, the arts, education and citizenry. No doubt that the people who settled into Buffalo and the surrounding region form the late 1800’s to the mid 1900’s were hard working, salt of the Earth types but they were also smart, worldly and made an impact on anyone who encountered them. These are all perfect words to describe Tim.

Buffalo and the surrounding region struggle today to build on this rich history. Yet the new sprouts are there. UB is a world class institution, Buffalo is being nationally recognized for its rich architectural heritage, Niagara Falls power generation was “green” before it was “in,” the people of Western New York still demonstrate a strong work ethic.

I can’t be certain that the Bills will remain in Buffalo long term but if there is a group of fans who can make it happen we are it. Let’s direct our passion and creativity to this end and not to arguing with each other about just how bad is the current team or what needs to be done to fix it. Jim Kelly has pronounced himself as the leader that will keep the Bills here. In Tim’s honor let’s figure out as fans how we support him in this endeavor.

Tim stood by the team through thick and thin. He suffered as we all did the indignation of losing four Superbowls in a row. Yet he also stood there to watch the incredible fans of Buffalo cheer Scott Norwood the day after “wide right.” Perhaps there is not better representation of a collective “class act” than this moment in time. Tim was also patient, he did not accept the losing that this team has seen too much of but he pushed for and knew better days were around the corner.

Tim was a part of but also fed from the passion of the Bills nation. He understood and supported the idea that the Bills are more than just a team to Buffalo. We should follow his example. Push hard to bring about change. We all want a winner and we want it kept in Buffalo. Let’s do it with the tenacity, class and humility that Tim demonstrated for all of us.

And look what it gave him - a heart attack.

Phuk the Bills.

2 Minutes to go in the first- I am going to keep trying

Thank you - I am stunned at the depth of hatred expressed on this board by others. If people think things suck so bad then they need to move on to something else. Nice to know you are hanging in there.

Thank you - I am stunned at the depth of hatred expressed on this board by others. If people think things suck so bad then they need to move on to something else. Nice to know you are hanging in there.

we love what the organization "can be" not what "it is". we are trying in our own small insignificant way to beg the organization to change their ways while they still can.

:D

Your opinion won't be popular among the folks on this board, but I for one appreciate it. I don't believe for one second a real fan like Tim Russert would EVER have abandoned this team.

Your opinion won't be popular among the folks on this board, but I for one appreciate it. I don't believe for one second a real fan like Tim Russert would EVER have abandoned this team.

Thank you

I understand the frustration expressed by many. I'm sick of all of the stupid ways this team finds to lose and the failure to build a winning organization.

However, it's just sad to see a few people allow that frustration come out in ways that are best described as ugly. Life is way to short. If following this team makes them so angry or upset that it can only be expressed in such a way, they need to find better ways to amuze themselves. If all these people do is spew hatred and crap then they are part of the problem and not a part of the solution.

I support people that protest, refuse to buy tickets, whatever, to contribute constructively to a solution and spend their energy making life a little better for the people who interact with them. Your post indicates that you are one. - Thanks again.

Thank you

I understand the frustration expressed by many. I'm sick of all of the stupid ways this team finds to lose and the failure to build a winning organization.

However, it's just sad to see a few people allow that frustration come out in ways that are best described as ugly. Life is way to short. If following this team makes them so angry or upset that it can only be expressed in such a way, they need to find better ways to amuze themselves. If all these people do is spew hatred and crap then they are part of the problem and not a part of the solution.

I support people that protest, refuse to buy tickets, whatever, to contribute constructively to a solution and spend their energy making life a little better for the people who interact with them. Your post indicates that you are one. - Thanks again.

Right on man, I'm with you. Well written post. Frankly I was surprised that you were met with any indignation at all. I can't stand this idea that optimistic fans are nothing but naive pollyannas. I'm only 19 years old and I don't want the opportunity to be a lifelong Bills fan stolen from me by those who want to move the team.

Right on man, I'm with you. Well written post. Frankly I was surprised that you were met with any indignation at all. I can't stand this idea that optimistic fans are nothing but naive pollyannas. I'm only 19 years old and I don't want the opportunity to be a lifelong Bills fan stolen from me by those who want to move the team.

I wonder if Jim kelly is interested in an arrangement where there can be minority "shares" purchased by the fan base. Not sure what the legalities are nor do I know if the NFL owners would support it. I've always felt like the level of public money supporting any of the teams (stadiums, traffic control etc) not to mention the monopoly waiver granted by congress should afford the public the right to buy into a team and within appropriate limits control its movement to another city.

Well said - thank you!