BIG NEWS: Turner Gill signs 3 year extension with UB!!!

PromoTheRobot

Gill stays!

Buffalo News says Gill will be one of the MAC's top earners.

Frankly all this means is Gill will coach UB in 2009, but he does get a raise (amount undisclosed for now) and it will be that much more expensive for a BCS program to buy out his deal. Even though UB loses Drew Willy, they will have Starks and Roosevelt one more year and a pretty soft OOC schedule. If they have a decent QB could be another bowl year. Also great to see UB recognize the value of successful athletics, unlike Ball State.

PTR

Gill stays!

Buffalo News says Gill will be one of the MAC's top earners.

Frankly all this means is Gill will coach UB in 2009, but he does get a raise (amount undisclosed for now) and it will be that much more expensive for a BCS program to buy out his deal. Even though UB loses Drew Willy, they will have Starks and Roosevelt one more year and a pretty soft OOC schedule. If they have a decent QB could be another bowl year. Also great to see UB recognize the value of successful athletics, unlike Ball State.

PTR

Lets hope this doesn't mean the Bulls start out 1-7 next year...

I'm happy my alma mater gets him for at least another year, but for the life of me I don't know how Syracuse or Auburn let him slip through there figures. Their loss...our gain!

Whether you want to believe Charles Barkley or not, there's no question that SEC schools don't hire black head coaches. The exception being Mississippi State, which tends to be the red-headed stepchild of the conference. Certainly no marquis programs have ever hired a black head coach. Whether intended or not, that tends to limit the needed "experience" to jump to a big program. Just visit the Auburn board and see all the comments like "...well all Gill did was turn around Buffalo. I want to see him do that at a big program." Oh yeah? Well good luck getting that big program job.

As for Syracuse, what I gather is Gill didn't want the job, and he interviewed out of courtesy for being asked. I don't think Gill was SU's #1 choice anyway. That was Skip Holtz. When Holtz turned them down, Gill apparently got a phone call at 11pm at night asking him to drive up to SU to tour the campus. Not very professional if you ask me. Him going to SU would have hurt UB more than if he went south, another reason why I don't think he wanted the job.

Signing this extension pretty much ends the breathless speculation by ESPN, etc. linking Gill to every open BCS job whether he was contacted or not. It also proves, I think, that just getting out of Buffalo and into a BCS school is not Gill's goal.

PTR

I'm glad to have Turner Gill back, nothing worse than building up a program and having that person leave after a few years. At least one more year with Gill is better than starting off fresh with a new coach. It's a nice luxury to have a coach that you have confidence in.