Any QB Would Stink on the Bills

FGD

Look I love a which QB blows more rant counter rant. But the fact is this team has drafted so poorly especially the lines that no QB would succed with the Bills as constructed. No OL = No Running Game when it COUNTS to score such inside the 20, gets a 3RD and 2. No short field because the D cannot produce turnovers or other wise be aggressive. As much abuse has been rightly laid on our flyweight "high moter" defensive ends, how about out linebackers who specialize in chasing guys downfield. Our corners? I have no real idea how bad or good they are because they have to play so soft.

I mentioned this before, but our cheap young coaching staff leading a young inexperienced team into dead end with no identity is just painful. They know they are being manhandled and outcoached, but they have no idea what to do. Never do folks get hired as HCs, OCs or DCs off the Buffalo staff

My darkest fear is that even if WNY turns their backs on the Bills it serves Wilson's interests. If season tickets plummet he can use that as an excuse to cut payroll thereby reducing the expense for the next owner.

And I agree with all those who have written before that Miami's success this year just makes the Bills farce of a collapse are the more galling> It really is Kay Stephenson and Hank Bullough all over again. No its worse. Tthe league has gotten a lot smarter and free agrency puts even more of a premium on a good front office which we don't have. After 35 years of watching these guys I thought I could take anything they dished out, but this is really a new low.

Look I love a which QB blows more rant counter rant. But the fact is this team has drafted so poorly especially the lines that no QB would succed with the Bills as constructed. No OL = No Running Game when it COUNTS to score such inside the 20, gets a 3RD and 2. No short field because the D cannot produce turnovers or other wise be aggressive. As much abuse has been rightly laid on our flyweight "high moter" defensive ends, how about out linebackers who specialize in chasing guys downfield. Our corners? I have no real idea how bad or good they are because they have to play so soft.

I mentioned this before, but our cheap young coaching staff leading a young inexperienced team into dead end with no identity is just painful. They know they are being manhandled and outcoached, but they have no idea what to do. Never do folks get hired as HCs, OCs or DCs off the Buffalo staff

My darkest fear is that even if WNY turns their backs on the Bills it serves Wilson's interests. If season tickets plummet he can use that as an excuse to cut payroll thereby reducing the expense for the next owner.

And I agree with all those who have written before that Miami's success this year just makes the Bills farce of a collapse are the more galling> It really is Kay Stephenson and Hank Bullough all over again. No its worse. Tthe league has gotten a lot smarter and free agrency puts even more of a premium on a good front office which we don't have. After 35 years of watching these guys I thought I could take anything they dished out, but this is really a new low.

JP will suck anywhere

No. Its the quarterbacks.

The pass protection has been good this year, and the receiving group is passable. There is no excuse for them to drop back there and stand around as if they don't even know the playcall, because they "can't find anybody." Time and time again they sit in the pocket until they either take a sack, or check to Lynch/Jackson. I've had it with the ineptitude at the QB position.

Chris Brown made a post in his blog about one of these losses (if memory serves, it was an Edwards game, possibly the MNF) that recievers were open all game long, and the ball simply never found them. We've seen people say that as the season went on, Edwards stopped anticipating that recievers would get open, and trust the system and his WRs...and instead would wait until guys were wide open to let it fly. And even of the recievers who were wide open...he failed to see far too many of them.

The running game is not that bad...15th in ypg (113.9), and tied for 13th in ypc (4.2). You can't pin this on the linemen. Its specifically the quarterback position that has held the offense back, imo.

Losman has always recieved a lot of criticism for holding the ball too long, with good reason. But he doesn't hold onto the ball just because he likes doing it. He holds onto the ball because he just does not know where to go with it, because he can't find secondary recievers and he can't read defenses. Thats why he hardly ever takes a three step drop, steps up and wings it...instead, we get pat-pat-sack, or pat-pat-checkdown. He hesitates because he doesn't know what to do.

For too many games, we saw Edwards put that same defficiency on display. The ball wouldn't come out on time with the play, and when it did finally come out, it was to his security blanket.

People will say "I don't know if I'm ready to give up on him"...but are you really ready to just hand this guy the starting job next year? This is the most critical position in sports. We need to bring in somebody who has a clue.

The pass protection has been good this year, and the receiving group is passable. There is no excuse for them to drop back there and stand around as if they don't even know the playcall, because they "can't find anybody." Time and time again they sit in the pocket until they either take a sack, or check to Lynch/Jackson. I've had it with the ineptitude at the QB position.

Chris Brown made a post in his blog about one of these losses (if memory serves, it was an Edwards game, possibly the MNF) that recievers were open all game long, and the ball simply never found them. We've seen people say that as the season went on, Edwards stopped anticipating that recievers would get open, and trust the system and his WRs...and instead would wait until guys were wide open to let it fly. And even of the recievers who were wide open...he failed to see far too many of them.

The running game is not that bad...15th in ypg (113.9), and tied for 13th in ypc (4.2). You can't pin this on the linemen. Its specifically the quarterback position that has held the offense back, imo.

Losman has always recieved a lot of criticism for holding the ball too long, with good reason. But he doesn't hold onto the ball just because he likes doing it. He holds onto the ball because he just does not know where to go with it, because he can't find secondary recievers and he can't read defenses. Thats why he hardly ever takes a three step drop, steps up and wings it...instead, we get pat-pat-sack, or pat-pat-checkdown. He hesitates because he doesn't know what to do.

For too many games, we saw Edwards put that same defficiency on display. The ball wouldn't come out on time with the play, and when it did finally come out, it was to his security blanket.

People will say "I don't know if I'm ready to give up on him"...but are you really ready to just hand this guy the starting job next year? This is the most critical position in sports. We need to bring in somebody who has a clue.

I totally agree with you Big Bad Boone. Our quarterbacking has been just awful with both JP and TE. Neither of them has any confidence to just wing it down the field. They are always tentative. It is amazing that both of these guys struggle so much. Our talent evaluators have missed big time on both of these guys. I can not remember what its like to have a QB under center who had confidence in himself and his teammates to continuously make plays. JP's numbers are an embarrasment. It is amazing that he is still on our roster. The guy SUCKS!!! And TE hasn't played much better. His performance AFTER throwing the 3 picks against Cleveland was the most gutless performance I have ever seen on a football field. He was AFRAID to throw the ball. What is wrong with these guys?

We definitely need some competition for TE next season. A guy with some moxie and fire. Shoot I would take Brian Griese from Tampa to come in and compete. At least he can play the position.

TE hasn't played much better. His performance AFTER throwing the 3 picks against Cleveland was the most gutless performance I have ever seen on a football field. He was AFRAID to throw the ball. What is wrong with these guys?

We definitely need some competition for TE next season. A guy with some moxie and fire. Shoot I would take Brian Griese from Tampa to come in and compete. At least he can play the position.

Griese would be a good mentor type player who could start of TE got injured or blew too bad, I kind of like it.

Disagree with original poster, agree with subsequent posters - our quarterbacking is terrible, and a decent QB turns several losses (and thus, the season) around. Period.

A good quarterback is more important than a good coach. We could have Dick Jauron coaching this team another ten years, and nobody would mind provided we had a good quarterback (see: 2008 Buffalo Bills first six games).

Good quarterbacking, a good schedule, and you make the playoffs far more often than not. For some reason, people don't want to hear it... but even WITH Jauron being a dope most of the time, if Edwards doesn't start regressing mid-season this team is going to the playoffs. The Bills won't miss the playoffs because of Jauron, they'll miss the playoffs because they got terrible quarterbacking most of the season.

(Don't get me wrong... I want Jauron gone as much as the next guy, but he's hardly the only one to blame.)

Excellent post. I have stated this before & have been ridiculed for it but this is a qb driven league. A good qb could make an average offense/team good & a bad qb can make an above average team look bad. I find it funny that we could not run guys like Dan henning/Gilbride/Mularkey out of here fast enough(myself included. But look at their success now. Could it be that just maybe they finally have a qb that they could work with & that is leading to their success. Everybody says we do not have enough weapons but to most posters here everybody loves Evans & they love Lynch. The line as it is right now is in the middle of the pack. With an upgrade in Center I really believe this could be a top 10 line. Peters/Dockery/New center/Butler/Walker. That does not seem so bad to me. Once again it will all come down to the qb. Alot depends on Edwards next year. Make or break year for him with the bills. If Edwards is good, the bills should win more games then they lose. If Edwards plays like he did the last 1/2 of this year, we will be 6-10 again.