Henry has been overrated

KurtGodel77

Henry plays the game with a lot of heart. So does Joe Burns. While Henry has been here, our o-line has generally been a bunch of fat guys who at least knew how to run block.

While Travis has been in Buffalo, he's been a top-15 back, but not a top-10 back. He's good enough to make the running game respectable, but not good enough to make it feared.

Over the last several years, Henry has had pretty good success running the ball. But that's because with KG as our offensive coordinator, defenses were expecting us to pass. Also, if it's 2nd and 15 because of some sack, then defenses know we have to pass successfully on one of the next two downs to get a first down. So why defend the run?

Against Miami, McGahee rammed the ball down the throats of a good defense when they knew it was coming. The only time that Travis has rammed anything down someone's throat when they knew it was coming was his rendezvous with a 15-year-old.

88756[/snapback]

If this was true then Dan Marino must have had great running games when he was QB....Wait a minute....Ummmmmm.....

NOPE..... :(

dude.. :(  :wub:  :lol: ...have you ever even watched a Bills game???  Henry was the only bright spot we had on offense last year.  He was NEVER brought down by the first tackler.  He played hurt and played well.  He was certainly not overrated.  You are way off.  WAY off. 

p.s. he wouldn't have given up on that INT either (sorry)

88772[/snapback]

Mav...if you are talking about last year then I agree with you....Henry was a playmaker......

but if you are talking about this year then you are full of stevestojan. There is something wrong with Henry he has either tried to take too much weight off to get faster or there is something wrong with him mentally......he IS getting taken down by the first hit and sometimes he is falling down all by himself....in pass protection he is blocking like a fricken little girl....MY TWELVE YEAR OLD DOES A BETTER JOB BLOCKING then Henry does this year.....last year I saw Henry really stand some guys up......

It is like he knows he is gone and he is playing like he doesn't want to get hurt......if he had the heart of last year he would have come out in the Ravens game and played so well that Magehee couldnt' get onto the field.......and it wouldnt' be an issue........

Henry is done in Buffalo......

whoever feels henry is overrated, they dont know anything about football

there are quite a few teams out there who would kill to have henry

just because "savior mcgahee" comes along dont let it overshadow what henry has done for this team with a garbage o-line to go with no passing game

Over the last several years, Henry has had pretty good success running the ball. But that's because with KG as our offensive coordinator, defenses were expecting us to pass. Also, if it's 2nd and 15 because of some sack, then defenses know we have to pass successfully on one of the next two downs to get a first down. So why defend the run?

88756[/snapback]

Yeah. I have no doubt that even after Moulds got hurt last year, other teams' defenses were scared so silly by the dynamic duo of Josh Reed and Bobby Shaw that they decided to let Henry run wild on them.

That would certainly explain why Henry's ypc average went up after Moulds got hurt, and why he averaged over 5 yards/carry (72-369, 5.1) in the games Moulds sat out completely....

I'm as anxious as the rest of you to see just how good Willis McGahee can be - heck, he's the only reason I picked Buffalo to win this week. And Henry has looked terrible this year. No denying that. But to suggest TH wasn't any good to begin with? Now you're just making stuff up.... to the point that I'm not even going to waste my time reading any more of it. Seeya.

Yeah. I have no doubt that even after Moulds got hurt last year, other teams' defenses were scared so silly by the dynamic duo of Josh Reed and Bobby Shaw that they decided to let Henry run wild on them.

That would certainly explain why Henry's ypc average went up after Moulds got hurt, and why he averaged over 5 yards/carry (72-369, 5.1) in the games Moulds sat out completely....

I'm as anxious as the rest of you to see just how good Willis McGahee can be - heck, he's the only reason I picked Buffalo to win this week. And Henry has looked terrible this year. No denying that. But to suggest TH wasn't any good to begin with? Now you're just making stuff up.... to the point that I'm not even going to waste my time reading any more of it. Seeya.

92202[/snapback]

Lori has just won "Post of the Year" honors with this gem. There are several people on this board who know their football, though there are many more who don't know much and worse yet, they don't know that they don't know. Lori, you're at the top of the list for football intelligence.

92202[/snapback]

In my book, the hallmark of a top-quality running back is to run the ball successfully when the defense knows it's coming. With KG as his offensive coordinator, the defense never had a reason to expect the run, so Travis never had the chance to prove whether he could be the type of back who could take control of the game. This year the play calling has been more run-oriented, so a talented back could take control of the game. Travis hasn't.

In the past, things were all set up for Travis to look good without being the centerpiece of the offense. The offensive line was better at run blocking than pass protection. The offensive coordinator seldom called running plays, so defenses defended the pass first. Even Antowain Smith had success in this style of offense. Antowain Smith, for crying out loud.

As for why Miami never had success running the ball when Marino was the QB: it was because their RBs were an absolute joke, and because their OL couldn't run block.

Travis wasn't a terrible back. But neither was he a particularly good back.

It's the truth. Deal with it.

92530[/snapback]

The truth is Henry had 1356 yards rushing in 2003 (11th in the league), which was only 20 yards less than Ricky Williams and about 80 yards less than Priest Holmes, but I suppose those guys aren't very good either.

In 2002, Henry had 1438 yards rushing (5th overall), which was more than everyone in the NFL with the exception of 4 players: Williams, Tomlinson, Holmes and Portis. Oh, he was a Pro-Bowl selection also.

And if you're posting this thread based on this year's performance, then you ought to make similar posts on every Bills player with the exception of perhaps Moorman.

Those are the facts. Deal with them. ;)