Winners want the ball .

JinWPB

God bless ya man, but you're trying to teach to a bunch of brick walls who have no idea what the hell they're talking about.

What is truly scary is that the media doesn't get this. I understand that truly having a CHOICE to defer is a new thing, but what football fan who has seen a few seasons worth of games hasn't lamented the fact that an opponent was putting a score on their team at the end of the half and THEN has the ball first in the second half too.

Here is my seasonal rant.

This coaching staff has had it's three years to get it done. Results .... another losing season. As Bill's fans,can we look back over the last three seasons and say"Well, at least they are learning from their mistake"? I don't think so.

Is todays team three years worth of rebuilding better than Mularkeys 04 9-7 team or his 05 5-11 team?

How about our O-line and running game ?

04 Willis..........1128 yrds 13TD

05 Willis...........1250 yrds 5TD

07 Marshawn....1115 yrds 7TD

08 Marshawn......875 yrds 7TD

Tell me whether our passing game today looks any better than when Kelly Holcombe was doing the dink and dunk or Drew was doing the bombs away?

Does our defense look dominating ?

The only consistantly good product on the field is Specials Teams.

As the Bills struggle through a decade of mediocrity other teams around the league go from worst to first in a single season. What is the secret? Good coaching and better player evaluation.

What the problem here? Same as any failing business, we don't hire people with a proven track record. Would you want a brain surgeon because he's interviews well and the nurses liked him even though half his patients died. Would you keep a financial advisor if your investments always lost money.

Question;Why would a coach defer on the opening kick off with one off the better return teams in the league? Answer; He is playing not to lose, not, playing to win the game. He expects to fall behind and wants that extra possession to make a comeback. What message does that send to your players?

I'm all for giving a second chance if things seems to be moving forward. They are not. So we are still in rebuilding mode.

Maybe its time for a coach that wants the ball.

Many coaches want the kick off in the second half. Sometimes you want it because of weather (but not in a dome). Jauron has not done anything that many other coaches do, including Levy.

I'd defer every time. It's great to go into the second half knowing you have an extra possession in your pocket. And I'd rather start the game with a defensive stop than a 3-and-out punt.

Bull shyt............

I disagree 100 percent

Its a losers attitude

You have the BEST return man in the game in McKelvin....30 yrds per return almost.

If you recieve the ball..with they Should do...it makes the other team think about kicking it short or kicking it to him.

if he returns it 20 yrds....so what u have first shot at scoring

But what if McKelvin takes it to the 40 or 50.....you have field position for your defense at the very least

If he takes it to the house......ummm u have a 7 point lead and instant momentum

This is why i hate how Jauron game day decisions

I bet the players realize this also

The only time I would defer is if weather is a factor. You chose to play into the wind during the first and third quarter and let the opposing team receive the opening kickoff. But then again, I've never met the Bills' head coach so thus, I don't know Dick!

Why does this debate carry the same vibe as "Wade doesn't wear a headset" to me? Sorry, anti-deferring people, but you've chosen to seize on the least consequential, least controversial decision Jauron is making. BADOL has it exactly right; please stop conflating "get the ball first" with "score first". They're not the same thing.

How about our O-line and running game ?

04 Willis..........1128 yrds 13TD

05 Willis...........1250 yrds 5TD

07 Marshawn....1115 yrds 7TD

08 Marshawn......875 yrds 7TD

I just want to be clear on this - are you really comparing Marshawn's rushing numbers through 13 games (in both 07 and 08) to McBabyMama's 16-game numbers in 04 and 05 to prove that the running game is regressing? And why did you leave out McBabyMama's 2006 14-game campaign?

I just want to be clear on this - are you really comparing Marshawn's rushing numbers through 13 games (in both 07 and 08) to McBabyMama's 16-game numbers in 04 and 05 to prove that the running game is regressing? And why did you leave out McBabyMama's 2006 14-game campaign?

No, well in a way. What I saying is after spending whatever zillion dollars on the o-line they still suck!!!!!!! Bunch of fat slow too tall lineman that never get under there run blocks,blow assignments, whiff on pass rushers and excel at false starts. Should I even mention our center that can't tell his QB is in shotgun and not BFing him on the line. Where is Trey Teague when you need him?

No, well in a way. What I saying is after spending whatever zillion dollars on the o-line they still suck!!!!!!! Bunch of fat slow too tall lineman that never get under there run blocks,blow assignments, whiff on pass rushers and excel at false starts. Should I even mention our center that can't tell his QB is in shotgun and not BFing him on the line. Where is Trey Teague when you need him?

I agree completely that there are serious issues with the line's ability to get a push in short-yardage situations, ridiculous mental mistakes and blown assignments.

I'm just saying that most people can look at the game and see that there are problems with the running game, without having to manipulate the numbers to prove it, especially when the numbers don't really bear out the regression.

while it's not exactly relevant, in Madden 08 I would always kick off (not exactly "deferring"), and never chose to receive the ball if I won the coin toss. Knowing that my defense was coming on gave me a hard-on every time, and I also had the second-half cushion of getting the ball back in case an act of god occurred and the other player happened to score some points. 228W-13L.

Unfortunately, I can't say that our real-life defense affects my blood-flow the same way.

:wub:

Bull shyt............

I disagree 100 percent

Its a losers attitude

You have the BEST return man in the game in McKelvin....30 yrds per return almost.

If you recieve the ball..with they Should do...it makes the other team think about kicking it short or kicking it to him.

if he returns it 20 yrds....so what u have first shot at scoring

But what if McKelvin takes it to the 40 or 50.....you have field position for your defense at the very least

If he takes it to the house......ummm u have a 7 point lead and instant momentum

This is why i hate how Jauron game day decisions

I bet the players realize this also

Actually, half-squat, I would disagree 101% with our 100% and say that it's not a loser's attitude. If you stop and think about it, it takes more balls to say, "here, we'll give you the ball to start off, b/c I know that you can't score regardless." It means that you're not afraid of the other team or their pathetic offense, and those prissy pansies won't move the chains past the 5yd line on us!