Lee Evans vs Steve Smith

on the mnf pre game show ronde barber said that steve smith and randy moss are two of the only receivers that teams have to gameplan for. Going into the 3rd quarter tonight he as 8 grabs for 108 and a td. Teams supposedly gameplan for lee evans and he hasnt had nearly the production of steve smith. They are both the same small, burner type of receiver and i dont feel that lee evans is in steve smiths' class. Say what you want about the quarterback or the play calling of the bills vs the panthers but tonight is proof that GREAT players find ways to make plays.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

on the mnf pre game show ronde barber said that steve smith and randy moss are two of the only receivers that teams have to gameplan for. Going into the 3rd quarter tonight he as 8 grabs for 108 and a td. Teams supposedly gameplan for lee evans and he hasnt had nearly the production of steve smith. They are both the same small, burner type of receiver and i dont feel that lee evans is in steve smiths' class. Say what you want about the quarterback or the play calling of the bills vs the panthers but tonight is proof that GREAT players find ways to make plays.

I don't think there has been many(any?) people who have said that Evans is a better WR than Smith.

Evans hasnt had a real QB yet who can rifle it in there consistently......exc when JP got hot one of every 5 games or so. depends so friggin much on a good passing .

I don't think there has been many(any?) people who have said that Evans is a better WR than Smith.

the point is he is currently the second highest paid receiver in the NFL behind Larry Fitz. He is being paid like a superstar but doesnt change a game the way a superstar does (i.e. steve smith)

the point is he is currently the second highest paid receiver in the NFL behind Larry Fitz. He is being paid like a superstar but doesnt change a game the way a superstar does (i.e. steve smith)

Evans can do everything that you see with Smith. If we had a QB who called the shots, or a an OC that trusted JP with the freedom with audibles, you'd see similar stuff.

I'm sure people will flame me, and thats fine, I'm going off a hunch and you have stats to prove me wrong. I will continue to make excuses for Lee Evans because it's simply not fair to compare him to Smith. We don't effectively run an offense.

We don't use the run to setup the pass. We ignore all that crap and try to out smart ourselves, and the results year in and year out is Lee Evans with slightly above average stats.

Contracts escalate each year......this means that this off-seasons contracts will be higher again......and the following year, etc, etc.

Who's to say that LE wouldn't be league leading on a different team/offense? He is 11th in the NFL in yardage at the moment with our disgusting offense.

I guess you are saying we should have let him walk. <_<

Contracts escalate each year......this means that this off-seasons contracts will be higher again......and the following year, etc, etc.

Who's to say that LE wouldn't be league leading on a different team/offense? He is 11th in the NFL in yardage at the moment with our disgusting offense.

I guess you are saying we should have let him walk. <_<

i am not saying that at all. what i am trying to see is that he is not the game changer that steve smith is. i dont want to hear about the qb play, the play calling or the putrid offense in general. Here is proof. Mind you that steve smith also had 4 differnet qb's; Jake Delhomms, David Carr, Vinny Testeverde and Matt more, on a 7-9 team last year and one less game

Steve Smith:

Year Age Tm Pos G GS Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G YScm RRTD Fmb

2007 28 CAR WR 15 15 87 1002 11.5 7 74 5.8 66.8 9 66 0 22 7.3 4.4 0.6 1068 7 1

Lee Evans:

Year Age Tm Pos G GS Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G YScm RRTD Fmb

2007 26 BUF WR 16 16 55 849 15.4 5 85 3.4 53.1 849 5 0

i am not saying that at all. what i am trying to see is that he is not the game changer that steve smith is. i dont want to hear about the qb play, the play calling or the putrid offense in general. Here is proof. Mind you that steve smith also had 4 differnet qb's; Jake Delhomms, David Carr, Vinny Testeverde and Matt more, on a 7-9 team last year and one less game

Steve Smith:

2007 28 CAR WR 15 15 87 1002 11.5 7 74 5.8 66.8 9 66 0 22 7.3 4.4 0.6 1068 7 1

Lee Evans:

2007 26 BUF WR 16 16 55 849 15.4 5 85 3.4 53.1 849 5 0

Lol...

Me:

2007 BUF WR 15 15775 15758 05830.095 350830 6306836 207407 &508 2408420

Lol...

Me:

2007 BUF WR 15 15775 15758 05830.095 350830 6306836 207407 &508 2408420

Evans is not in Steve Smith's class, he just isnt. This is not a knock on Evans & I have no problem with the contract that was offered(if we let him walk we would probably just draft another receiver in the 1st rnd next year). Let's call it like it is though, he is not a top 10 receiver in the league.

i dunno what you're getting at, unless you're comparing lee evans' slender build to steve smith's squatty, powerful build.

Really?

Lee Evans:

Height: 5-10 Weight: 202 lbs

Steve Smith:

Height: 5-9 Weight: 185 lbs.

Seems to me it doesnt have much to do with size but with attitude and wanting to get physical and make yourself open whether you are single or double covered.

Maybe, Evans can get into a scrap with Whitner and break his Jaw; like Smith did to Ken Lucas in Training Camp. Maybe, that would toughen this team up. Who am i Kidding? They would blow it off and probably say "we're still think we're a really good football team" and "you know obviously we would rather be 13-0 then 6-7 but we've played some other really good football teams"

There is no way to compare Evans and Smith. Smith gets #s with any QB. Evans can't. The great WRs get receptions and make plays. Evans doesn't and just can't. He was blanketed in the first game with the Fins for crying out loud. That was the first time I studied Evans and he wasn't getting open.

It all has to do with attitude. Did you see the Sunday Conversation on ESPN with Steve Smith? He said that he has ALWAYS been told he was too small, not fast enough...etc. Well he has been out there for 8 years trying to and succeeding at proving EVERYONE wrong! That is his inspiration...he is out to make a name for himself and to show everyone that doubted him, that they were not very intelligent or good at evaluating talent.

Not to mention he has 2 running backs who put up 300 yards, 4 tds and 8 ypc on the Bucs defense.

I dont think Lee Evans has the swagger it takes to be dominant. Marshawn seems to though. You can tell who thinks that they cannot be stopped and who is scared and soft. Roscoe seems to know he cant be stopped with the ball in his hands.

smith isnt as fast but he's more physical. he also has a QB that always looks to get him the ball downfield. evans is faster, a bit lighter and not as physical. and he rarely has a QB that will make sure he throws it downfield a few times a game to him, no matter if he looks open or not, just to give him a chance to make a play.