$1 gas by early next year

That would be a good idea to help pay for the auto company loan program or for alternative fuel technology. Set a minimum price like $2.50 a gallon, and if the actual price without tax goes lower, the difference is collected as tax. I'm concerned that people will again get complacent about energy, buy less efficient cars, and not support alternative energy programs. By not letting it get too low, it will remind people not to go back to the old bad habits.

Let me get this straght. You want me to pay an additiional $.75 a gallon tax on top of all the taxes I'm already paying on my fuel? Ok, you're officially insane in my book. Bad habits? Like driving to work and the grocery store? <_<

Let me get this straght. You want me to pay an additiional $.75 a gallon tax on top of all the taxes I'm already paying on my fuel? Ok, you're officially insane in my book. Bad habits? Like driving to work and the grocery store? <_<

I'm saying make the tax variable so that if the price without the tax drops below $2.50, the amount between $2.50 and the actual cost be collected as taxes, so the base price is $2.50. If it goes over that price without the tax, then the tax wouldn't apply. $2.50 is a reasonable price that is not too high, but enough to make people consider more efficient cars and less consumption.

What is going to happen if gas drops to a buck and people start clamoring for big auto's again? Should there be a company that says no to this demand? Yes to this demand? And what happens if a company answers this demand, should they be sanctioned by the gov't.

I have no problem with a gallon of gas being a buck... But, people are going to get stupid.

With me... I wil still drive what I want to drive no matter what the price is... I am not going to change my habits or my vehicles if gas was 6 bucks or 1 buck a gallon.

I'm saying make the tax variable so that if the price without the tax drops below $2.50, the amount between $2.50 and the actual cost be collected as taxes, so the base price is $2.50. If it goes over that price without the tax, then the tax wouldn't apply. $2.50 is a reasonable price that is not too high, but enough to make people consider more efficient cars and less consumption.

I understood your "plan". <_<