Just go nuts and bring in Turner Gill

zow2

The head coach is really there to motivate- make the players believe- give a good pregame speech, throw the red flag, and generally be the face of the team and a leader of men. Soon enough Gill be offered a chance to coach a BCS team...so why not just jump the gun and hire him as the head coach? He may not even want to coach in the NFL but it doesn;t hurt to ask.

Hey, we've seen the guy be fiery and emotional on the sidelines yet is also under control. He takes chances (i think UB has gone for nearly 20 4th downs this year)...his players love the guy to death and he is just a plain winner. To me, it's as logical a choice if not better than taking an unassuming "genius" coordinator who has never really led men.

I like Gill too, but....BRING IN COWHER!

Yes, we all like Cowher but you need to get him out of your head. He's not coming to Buffalo. Think realistically. It's already been reported that Cleveland will make a huge run at him and Cowher would privately like to coach there. Also, a team like Washington and Dan Snyder would dump Zorn into the Potomac river if there's even a hint that Cowher would be interested in coaching again. The Bills would not, could not get into a bidding war.

Anyway, just sayin', word is that Turner Gill's family really likes Buffalo and it would be an exciting hire.

The head coach is really there to motivate- make the players believe- give a good pregame speech, throw the red flag, and generally be the face of the team and a leader of men. Soon enough Gill be offered a chance to coach a BCS team...so why not just jump the gun and hire him as the head coach? He may not even want to coach in the NFL but it doesn;t hurt to ask.

Hey, we've seen the guy be fiery and emotional on the sidelines yet is also under control. He takes chances (i think UB has gone for nearly 20 4th downs this year)...his players love the guy to death and he is just a plain winner. To me, it's as logical a choice if not better than taking an unassuming "genius" coordinator who has never really led men.

I do not think the main problem is that the HC does not provide the motivation an HC can provide (in many ways we have seen poor performance by the HC provide the motivation players need by being so bad they join together as a unit to protect themselves as was the case with Barry Switzer with the Boys and even a great tactician like Belicheck who (inadevertently unless he is smarter than I think) mishandle the Lawyer Milloy situation so badly the players came together under this jerk).

The problem is that there is not a core of seasoned and successful player leadership the motivates and leads each other in a refuse to lose attitude. For the Bills of old, this was a group of leaders like Kent Hull, Darryll Talley, Tasker, Thurman, Jimbo and even Bruce (who was no rah-rah motivator and was a very selfish person but he led by example of just being good and self-disciplined.

The HC is key as in the case of a delegator like Marv, but this team strikes me as missing an element that someone who has been there before like a Favre and someone who is just scary good like a Tony Gonsalez can bring. If one wants to fault Ralph for sitting on lots of cap room and not opening his wallet, one need look no further than this team deciding to go with Royal rather than paying the draft choice price for Gonzales and deciding to go with the benched Edwards and the FA Losman instead of Favre.

It's rare that coaches from college sucessfully transition to the pro game - Holtz, Saben and Spurrier come to mind as recent failures in the pro game. We need a proven professional level head coach.