Phil Dawson

bizell

I was thinking the same thing. His short kick against Houston yesterday was awful but he drills that 56 yarder like it's nothing...and last season he hit that miracle 48 yarder in a blizzard. Thanks for NOTHING Phil!!

Why do opposing kickers love RWS so much?

Speaking of big kicks, last night Vinatieri nailed a 51 yarrder at the buzzer. The Jets guy hit a huge one to force OT against Oakland earlier this year. Seems like all these last second long kicks are going through. Oh, except for the Lindell one on Monday night. So typical Buffalo.

What about the kick Lindell made to beat the Skins last year? Or the one against the Raiders?

Exactly. You win some & you lose some when it comes down to ending a game with a kick. Even the great ones miss big kicks from time to time.

The key to ensuring victory is to never put the ballgame into your kickers hands.

What about the kick Lindell made to beat the Skins last year? Or the one against the Raiders?

Nah, no one is blaming Lindell. It's just that so many of those long game winning kicks are getting made. Except ours. The Raiders and Redskins kicks were less than 40 yds if i'm not mistaken.

Yeah, but Lindell has been consistently good for years and doesn't miss 39 yarders, ever.

How long was the field goal against Pittsburgh in 2004? That might have been the biggest miss of his career, it's not one that I'll ever forget. I don't even think it was 30 yards long. The miss that cost them a game in Indy a couple of years ago was in a dome, on an artificial surface, and not much longer than 39 yards. Maybe 41 or 42.

the purpose of this thread wasn't to put down lindell in any way, just illustrating how phil dawson manages to make crazy kicks against buffalo to win games while he misses easier ones....

Just to throw this out there - this was Dawson's first miss inside 50 this year. He's 24-27 on the year and his other two misses were 54 and 51, so it's not like he sucks the rest of the time and just hits big kicks against Buffalo. Overall he's a pretty good kicker.

How long was the field goal against Pittsburgh in 2004? That might have been the biggest miss of his career, it's not one that I'll ever forget. I don't even think it was 30 yards long. The miss that cost them a game in Indy a couple of years ago was in a dome, on an artificial surface, and not much longer than 39 yards. Maybe 41 or 42.

The Pitt FGA was 28 yards. The Indy FGA was 41.

Just to throw this out there - this was Dawson's first miss inside 50 this year. He's 24-27 on the year and his other two misses were 54 and 51, so it's not like he sucks the rest of the time and just hits big kicks against Buffalo. Overall he's a pretty good kicker.

well, damnit, he needs to miss against buffalo. especially in a game-winning situation.

The miss in Indy didn't cost us the game. Indy ended that game by taking a knee inside our 10 yd line, they could've scored again if they needed to. Same thing with the pats game the first game of the year that year. The final score can be deceiving some times.

The miss in Indy didn't cost us the game. Indy ended that game by taking a knee inside our 10 yd line, they could've scored again if they needed to. Same thing with the pats game the first game of the year that year. The final score can be deceiving some times.

That missed kick DID cost us the game. Indy got the ball after that miss, and proceeded to run the rest of the clock out IIRC. There still would have been over 6 minutes left on the clock if we made the FG, however.

the thing that kills me is we play all conservative the whole game, then on the play before that last missed FG, we decide on a pass play with Robert Royal assigned to block dwight freeney... sack for 6 yards, pushing us to a 41 yd field goal.

That missed kick DID cost us the game. Indy got the ball after that miss, and proceeded to run the rest of the clock out IIRC. There still would have been over 6 minutes left on the clock if we made the FG, however.

the thing that kills me is we play all conservative the whole game, then on the play before that last missed FG, we decide on a pass play with Robert Royal assigned to block dwight freeney... sack for 6 yards, pushing us to a 41 yd field goal.

Its impossible to say for sure what would've happened, so this argument is kind of pointless. But all I'm saying is that if we couldn't stop indy from driving to our 5 when we knew they were trying to run out the clock, do you really think we could've stopped them if they had to score? I think its highly unlikely given how godawful the run defense was that year and how easily manning can pick apart a soft zone (which is definitely what we would have been in), but I do agree that it would've been nice to at least have the chance.

It pisses me off. He so easily nailed that 56-yarder. And he had enough leg on it to hit it from 66 yards. Not fair. The Browns suck too. DAMMIT.

It is amazing how long that could have been. I was sitting there thinking "There's now way he hits this (boot) as you said, DAMMIT.

Its impossible to say for sure what would've happened, so this argument is kind of pointless. But all I'm saying is that if we couldn't stop indy from driving to our 5 when we knew they were trying to run out the clock, do you really think we could've stopped them if they had to score? I think its highly unlikely given how godawful the run defense was that year and how easily manning can pick apart a soft zone (which is definitely what we would have been in), but I do agree that it would've been nice to at least have the chance.

I agree 100%. If Lindell had made that kick, there's no doubt in my mind that Indy would have driven the length of the field and kicked a field goal, if not gotten a TD, leaving us with little/no time.

The Pitt FGA was 28 yards. The Indy FGA was 41.

IIRC with that game, the Colts were driving for another score anyway at the end of the game but pulled up because time was running out.

You never know how making that kick would have changed the dynamic of the game, esp. in re: to how the team plays defense on that drive, but still.

IIRC with that game, the Colts were driving for another score anyway at the end of the game but pulled up because time was running out.

You never know how making that kick would have changed the dynamic of the game, esp. in re: to how the team plays defense on that drive, but still.

berndogg and myself just went over this.. yes, they were driving at the end of the game. that doesn't change the fact that lindell's kick would have given us the lead.