What separates Bill's Fans

AKC

Bill’s fans have been recognized over history as one of the best fan bases in the game. Often there are examples that support this presumption, instances like the Orchard Park reception given Takeo Spikes in his last game in tiger stripes. Pride and loyalty are the keystones of many Bill’s fans foundation in the team. It is this same pride and loyalty that allow us to display our allegiance at all times, in better or worse seasons, to emphasize the difference between us and the hollow fan bases of teams in other markets.

Big City markets offer different appeals to their sports teams. As a former resident of South Florida, Atlanta, Chicago and Houston who has spent the past 20 years in the fan vacuum of Los Angeles there has been much opportunity to observe the types of sports “fans” to which I do not aspire.

In football there is one simple rule about the general fan that holds true within any fan base- there is a pre-occupation with the Quarterback position that bears little or no correlation to the actual influence the Quarterback has on the outcome of games. It is perfectly understandable that most fans spend Sundays watching the ball- and hence the Quarterback- for the majority of the game. One of those things that has long separated Bill’s fans from many others though is the healthy percentage of our fans who actually pay attention to the other aspects of the game, the aspects that on far more Sundays than simply the play of the Quarterback actually make the difference in the game outcome.

Take for instance the naïve fan base of the New York Jets. The papers in New York have fed the ignorant fan base into buying Chad Pennington as the Gunslinger in Chief, the Savior of the Franchise, the Player Most Responsible for their fast start. Funny thing is, you don’t have to watch a lot of Jet’s ball this year to realize that the Jets offense is being carried along predominantly on the play of Kevin Mawae, their center. Now for naïve fans it’s impossible to beleive that the center on a team could be more important than the Quarterback, but the simple truth is, ( and you can get on their chat sites to ask Curtis Martin is he agrees <he will>) that Mawae IS carrying their offense. But you’d have to watch the play on the field to recognize that, and that’s something that is just too involved for the big market sports fan.

One thing that separates us from fan bases like the Jets is that we have more students of the game on a per fan basis. Many of the most knowledgeable fans on TBD have and do support a change at our own QB position while other equally informed fans do not. There are surely things that can be brought up to support both sides of the issue— we start a QB who’s production can not be ignored- he’s the 11th leading passer in the history of professional football. You might not like Eric Dickerson as a person but he was a productive player. Beldsoe, it could be argued, is past his prime. There’s a long list for both arguments. My own biggest complaint about Drew is that he doesn’t seem to motivate the playmakers around him to make big plays- I remember when I played ball as a WR it was the best QBs who came into the huddle and looked me in the eye with a “MAKE A PLAY HERE” that I knew my number was up and it was time to go high, low, over or under to make something happen. I don’t see that with Drew. He's not getting our playmakers up and they're not doing it on their own either. Our failures to date in 2004 highlight a season in which the playmakers on our offense have been LESS rather than MORE likely to make the big play when it makes a difference.

The 2004 season has played out with a new staff asking our old offensive roster to play a different game. We’ve seen blocking breakdowns game after game from our running backs. Our WRs continue to lead the league in dropped balls. The play from our QB spot has been one of the more steady and even positive spots on our offense. Surely there have been those vampires waiting through this early struggle to blame everything on the QB, and they’ve picked a 3 tipped ball game to do so. It’s very convenient to ignore the balls bouncing off our “star” WR’s chest in the end zone and focusing on the QB. That’s certainly what the big market fan always thinks- the QB must play perfectly to make up for the likelihood that everyone else will fail at times. But football doesn’t work that way. Every player will fail at times; the QB has ample opportunities to fail and has the highest visibility. So the QB consumes the frustration of some.

The simple reality is that the biggest improvements we can make on our offense to win games right now have nothing to do with the QB position. It’s clear that Mularkey has finally decided that coddling Henry is not in the team’s best interest and that a back who can actually USE his blockers will result in improved rushing performances. That in turn will improve our pass blocking. It’s Football 101, and the change to start Willis is a positive addressing one of our biggest problems- we were leaving our best running back on the bench to avoid frustrating the other back. Now the key is to get our best formation up and use our talent, and in doing so we could see more one-back sets with Evans getting more field time. Moving DBs away from the box will open up the way for Mr. McGahee to power into the second level. Our offense has improved with the simple decision to start Willis.

Our front 6 blockers and backfield blocker will benefit by spreading the field and reducing the effective blitzers. Our QB will benefit by the speed of the rookie, especially if he’s allowed more underneath routes instead of simply having him run Flys and Posts. Clements has shown signs he understands this. It would be a very good to see 3 WR sets right away against the Cards and let our front 6 block try to pound out the room for McGahee to get to the second level and then break away. Let’s get our best talent on the field- Damien Shelton hardly fits in that category.

I am a proud and loyal Bill’s fan; I’ve watched/listened (the old AM console radio in the 60s)/attended games every year of their existence from the AFL to last week. As a fan I believe that Tom Donahoe knows a hell of a lot more about football than I do. If we were a team being routed regularly by bad football teams I’d have a lot tougher questions for him, but the continued improvement of this team is what I expect from his forces. Did we help two teams reach the undefeated ranks or were we beaten by two much better football team? I’ll go with the latter. Effectively our ’05 season starts Sunday- and this fan is getting ready for the opener. There won’t be anyone in Cabo this weekend cheering louder for their team than this fan. And that’s one football guarantee this Bill’s fan can make and keep.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The play from our QB spot has been one of the more steady and even positive spots on our offense.

86704[/snapback]

:D

The game has changed. LB's can run faster than most RB/WR's from 10 years ago. DE's with 4.5 speed. Flat footed pocket QB's are slowly becoming extinct. It has nothing to do with scrambling ability. It's the abilility to have some pocket presence, sliding a few feet to either side to avoid the initial pressure and make a play. Poise and proper touch on ones passes is part of this formula. Asking the other 10 Offensive players to elevate their game in order to hide the vast athletic and mental shortcomings of your QB isn't realistic. Leadership and confidence comes from the QB position.

While Bledsoe has accumulated some fine career stats, who really cares anymore ? Outside of a good 7-8 game run to open the 2002 season, his play has declined badly. Too many hits and limited athletic ability equals an unacceptable amount of losses. No starting QB in the NFL is playing worse, at present. A 5 second QB in a 3 second game. The game moves too fast for him which is a sure sign that the game has passed him by.

what about the Chiefs and the Packers who consistently sell out and have a waiting list for season tickets?

86708[/snapback]

I can't imagine anyone calling Green Bay a "big city market" and if I'm not mistaken KC is only about 35th (population) in the U.S., another I assume most would consider a "small market" team.

:D

The game has changed. LB's can run faster than most RB/WR's from 10 years ago. DE's with 4.5 speed. Flat footed pocket QB's are slowly becoming extinct. It has nothing to do with scrambling ability. It's the abilility to have some pocket presence, sliding a few feet to either side to avoid the initial pressure and make a play. Poise and proper touch on ones passes is part of this formula. Asking the other 10 Offensive players to elevate their game in order to hide the vast athletic and mental shortcomings of your QB isn't realistic. Leadership and confidence comes from the QB position.

While Bledsoe has accumulated some fine career stats, who really cares anymore ? Outside of a good 7-8 game run to open the 2002 season, his play has declined badly. Too many hits and limited athletic ability equals an unacceptable amount of losses. No starting QB in the NFL is playing worse, at present. A 5 second QB in a 3 second game. The game moves too fast for him which is a sure sign that the game has passed him by.

86732[/snapback]

I've read some classic columns the make the same arguments, the funny thing is they're from the 1930s, 40s and 50s. Bascially the same ones heard when Jim Plunkett was thrown on the scrap heap (just prior to his 2 Super Bowl wins). Maybe some day they'll come true, but in the meantime they're simply the "the usual" in any market where a team is struggling. No one in Tampa Bay said it when Brad Johnson was at the helm of a Super Bowl winner, or in St. Louis when Warner was leading them to the big win. Heck, among Giant fans you won't hear a peep about mobiole QBs! And how did that pesky Trent Dilfer...... Has the game of football made Peyton Manning a has been?

If you truly believe the "mobile QB" is the way the game has to be won "in the years to come" would you care to make a guess as to how many Super Bowls Mr. Vick will win?

A very good post AKC, but I can't agree with you that Bledsoe "has been one of the more steady and even positive spots on our offense." Diminishing physical skills aside, the man has NO fire or leadership skills. Did you not notice him walking off into the locker room by himself? Do you ever see him on the sidelines trying to pump up teammates or ever heard him after a game say anything other than excuses and 'we gotta execute better'? Do you not see him tuck the ball and wait to be sacked even when he still has time to throw the ball? Do you not see him lock onto Moulds and miss wide open alternatives?

Face it bro, Drew is done. Stick a fork in him.

A very good post AKC, but I can't agree with you that Bledsoe "has been one of the more steady and even positive spots on our offense." Diminishing physical skills aside, the man has NO fire or leadership skills. Did you not notice him walking off into the locker room by himself? Do you ever see him on the sidelines trying to pump up teammates or ever heard him after a game say anything other than excuses and 'we gotta execute better'? Do you not see him tuck the ball and wait to be sacked even when he still has time to throw the ball? Do you not see him lock onto Moulds and miss wide open alternatives?

Face it bro, Drew is done. Stick a fork in him.

86758[/snapback]

I see flaws in his play the same way I recognize flaws in every QBs play simply becasue of their visibility. But here's a guy being asked to do less, having some of the weight shifted to his running attack, and making adjustments for the better. His first 5 games this season he was even showing some good touch in the short game, or at least better than I remember from him. Fans tend to want to blame players instead of teams for losses, and if you want to take a checklist through this season's losses the name Bledsoe should not top the list on any game, although there is at least a supportable argument for having him atop the Raven's loss.

This isn't really a post about whether he should be starting, more fundamentally it's about how fixated some portion of every fan base gets aboutthe positon when in reality there's 10 other guys out there that on any play can make or break the effectiveness. Are there better QBs in the league I'd rather see running our O, that's affirmative. Are there better QBs on our bench to go out in this climate- not for my money. It's simpy that typiccal fan reaction, it's historically documented, "Our Team Is Losing- Change The QB!". Let 'em scream for the QBs head. As I said before, this fan will continue to offer his screams in the positive support of his team.

I've read some classic columns the make the same arguments, the funny thing is they're from the 1930s, 40s and 50s. Bascially the same ones heard when Jim Plunkett was thrown on the scrap heap (just prior to his 2 Super Bowl wins). Maybe some day they'll come true, but in the meantime they're simply the "the usual" in any market where a team is struggling. No one in Tampa Bay said it when Brad Johnson was at the helm of a Super Bowl winner, or in St. Louis when Warner was leading them to the big win. Heck, among Giant fans you won't hear a peep about mobiole QBs! And how did that pesky Trent Dilfer...... Has the game of football made Peyton Manning a has been?

If you truly believe the "mobile QB" is the way the game has to be won "in the years to come" would you care to make a guess as to how many Super Bowls Mr. Vick will win?

86743[/snapback]

Mobile does not mean " Running". It means moving 2,3 steps to the right/left to avoid the initial pressure and still make a play. Plus you must actually look towards a 2nd option on the play. Did you see that throw behind Moulds in the end zone this past week ? Bledsoe tried to thread it through a tunnel of arms/bodies, instead of sliding down the line a few feet and toss an easy TD to a wide open Receiver.

Mike Vick does nothing for me. The others you mention can't run a lick but know how to move just enough to make a positive play. Even when Bledsoe has time to throw, he seems to have little touch or poise in his delivery. How about that INT into double coverage in the endzone ? That's unacceptable. That is a HUGE reason why we fail to score in the red zone most every week. The shortcomings of our QB who WAS decent a few years ago. That just brings the whole team down and we don't have a lot of wiggle room when it comes to trying to win games. No QB makes more negative plays to kill his team.

I don't know where you get your figures from, but Bledsoe is not even among the top 20 passers in the history of professional football.

86756[/snapback]

Check out the Streaks and Notes Section here- it might be helpful to know that Bledsoe threw for 203 yards Sunday ;-)

Facts So Crystal Clear Even A Pat's Fan Can Grasp Them!

Mobile does not mean " Running". It means moving 2,3 steps to the right/left to avoid the initial pressure and still make a play. Plus you must actually look towards a 2nd option on the play.  Did you see that throw behind Moulds in the end zone this past week ? Bledsoe tried to thread it through a tunnel of arms/bodies, instead of sliding down the line a few feet and toss an easy TD to a wide open Receiver.

Mike Vick does nothing for me. The others you mention can't run a lick but know how to move just enough to make a positive play. Even when Bledsoe has time to throw, he seems to have little touch or poise in his delivery. How about that INT into double coverage in the endzone ? That's unacceptable. That is a HUGE reason why we fail to score in the red zone most every week. The shortcomings of our QB who WAS decent a few years ago. That just brings the whole team down and we don't have a lot of wiggle room when it comes to trying to win games. No QB makes more negative plays to kill his team.

86783[/snapback]

Kurt Warner, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer and Jim Plunkett know how to "move a little"?

Precisely.

More than just moving a few steps to the right and left, it's about pocket presence. The ability to sense when the rush is coming, react quickly, and get rid of the ball and send it to the proper place.

Kurt Warner? You betcha. He HAS that pocket presence. Did you watch last week's game against Detroit? I sure did. And it was quite evident that he knew when and where to put the ball for the most part (this despite the fact that they lost).

Trent Dilfer? There's a reason he's a Super Bowl QB who no longer plays in NFL games and is nearing retirement. Drew Bledsoe ought to do the same.

Mobile does not mean " Running". It means moving 2,3 steps to the right/left to avoid the initial pressure and still make a play. Plus you must actually look towards a 2nd option on the play.  Did you see that throw behind Moulds in the end zone this past week ? Bledsoe tried to thread it through a tunnel of arms/bodies, instead of sliding down the line a few feet and toss an easy TD to a wide open Receiver.

86783[/snapback]

As a fan I believe that Tom Donahoe knows a hell of a lot more about football than I do. If we were a team being routed regularly by bad football teams I’d have a lot tougher questions for him, but the continued improvement of this team is what I expect from his forces. Did we help two teams reach the undefeated ranks or were we beaten by two much better football team? I’ll go with the latter. Effectively our ’05 season starts Sunday- and this fan is getting ready for the opener.

86704[/snapback]

This sheep-like follower mentality is one that need not exist, particularly when you are a paying customer. Just what makes you think Donahoe knows more about football than you? You have been watching the game since 1960, right?

Have a little more faith in yourself, my friend.

I don't know where you get your figures from, but Bledsoe is not even among the top 20 passers in the history of professional football.

86756[/snapback]

I know where you're going with this HD, and we've seen it here before :D but as a nuetral party here when you look at your list (based on rating), it can look just as silly as a list based on passing yardage. (Kurt Warner 2nd best qb in NFL history ?? Bah!!!) Again I understand your point but it kind of blows up in your face. To add, QB's that run a west coast offense must all be the best quarterbacks ever , right? :doh:

AKC, your post was great. No surprise there. I would like to answer it in 2 ways...first by the topic, then about the team:

1) Being a Bills fan is an identity imo. Bills fans are hard core. I am convinced (however right or wrong) that we are different. Look at this board.....I have been awake at late hours concerned, and praying for other posters. In my hours of need, I was here seeking support.

Not only that, I came and announced good news, such as my retirement and my daughter being accepted into an Ivy League college. There was always good will. Bills fans are a different breed.

I could walk around this neck of the woods with a jest, or any other t-shirt. Big effing deal. The Bills are the only NY team, and if the jests come back, :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: !

It would take up too much bandwith to extoll the virtues of the posters I have met on TBD. All I WILL say is it is nothing short of an honor and complete pleasure to be with you people, and I simply cannot wait until Sunday to do it again.

2) Actually, Bledsoe played his worst game of 04 last Sunday, thus the extra grief. That said, I think Drew has taken too many hits, courtesy of the Bills neglecting the OL and playing weak football for 10 years.

I want Drew to win. I am a fan of his, and his passes. The sad truth is that there is no reason to believe that he is not gun shy at this point. Did you watch Jennings in the jest game? It gets no worse. Big Mike is a worthless piece of stevestojan. We have no true center, and our LG sucks. Drew has taken 125 brutal sacks in 2 1/2 years. Honestly, how much is too much?

I think what bothers me are those who think that JP (a top 5 pick) will come in and be the latest messiah, ala McNally. The kid looked good in preseason, but MW doesn't care about protecting his young ass any more than he cares about protecting Drew.

TD did this. He drafted this pos, and Reed and traded up for Denney. Want a culprit? There he is! So, in that sense, I agree that Drew is not the cause of this sorry state of affairs.

I make the case that he is the victim of TD, the person that is killing the franchise.