Citi bailout

/dev/null

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you guy's may find this interesting.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?con...a&aid=11072

"Banks actually are lending at record levels. Their commercial and industrial loans, at $1.6 trillion in early November, were up 15% from a year earlier and grew at a 25% annual rate during the past three months, according to weekly Federal Reserve data. Home-equity loans, at $578 billion, were up 21% from a year ago and grew at a 48% annual rate in three months....The numbers point to one of the great challenges of the crisis. The credit crunch is surely real, but it is complex and not easily managed. Banks are lending, but they're also under serious strain as they act as backstops to a larger problem -- the breakdown of securities markets..The worst of the credit crisis is being felt not in banks but in financial markets..."

Then again some folks around here think Timmy Geithner is a good choice from Obama. Same old chit.

Some of you guy's may find this interesting.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?con...a&aid=11072

"Banks actually are lending at record levels. Their commercial and industrial loans, at $1.6 trillion in early November, were up 15% from a year earlier and grew at a 25% annual rate during the past three months, according to weekly Federal Reserve data. Home-equity loans, at $578 billion, were up 21% from a year ago and grew at a 48% annual rate in three months....The numbers point to one of the great challenges of the crisis. The credit crunch is surely real, but it is complex and not easily managed. Banks are lending, but they're also under serious strain as they act as backstops to a larger problem -- the breakdown of securities markets..The worst of the credit crisis is being felt not in banks but in financial markets..."

Then again some folks around here think Timmy Geithner is a good choice from Obama. Same old chit.

I was wondering which rocket surgeon wouldn't understand the WSJ article the way it was written. Good thing my suspicion didn't let me down.

If government is going to absorb 90% of losses they should own 90% of company and take 90% of executives pay but some Marxists will claim that bailing out big businesses is ok.

The fall of Citigroup has a much bigger impact on individuals including retirement plans that have a portion of their securities invested in Citigroup and other financials than it does executive pay. Bonuses will be zero and the stock options these guys received are worthless. Everyone has lost their shirt.

Banking is about confidence. Right now, there is none. No bank can survive without confidence, and the government is the only one that can guarantee that.

Banking is about confidence. Right now, there is none. No bank can survive without confidence, and the government is the only one that can guarantee that.

Confidence? What friggin confidence? The idiots in the pits are openly beating up one another thinking that the survivor wins, when all they're doing is reenacting the War of the Roses.

Confidence? What friggin confidence? The idiots in the pits are openly beating up one another thinking that the survivor wins, when all they're doing is reenacting the War of the Roses.

You know, just a little story. I have a relative who deals with Citigroup Wealth Management and he told me that he moved his cash (well above the FDIC ratio) over to more guaranteed assets, i.e. T-Bills etc.

Of course no one realizes that the yield on T-Bills is so low that the fed is borrowing for free.

Don't worry....they'll eventually write a book after they made their millions in profits. Then when Oprah or Harvard or wherever you get your required reading list from puts it on the list a few years down the road, you will read it and it will become law.

You know, just a little story. I have a relative who deals with Citigroup Wealth Management and he told me that he moved his cash (well above the FDIC ratio) over to more guaranteed assets, i.e. T-Bills etc.

Of course no one realizes that the yield on T-Bills is so low that the fed is borrowing for free.

I have an uncle in China, and he would like to thank your Uncle for helping the USA make it's interest payment for one more month.

Don't worry....they'll eventually write a book after they made their millions in profits. Then when Oprah or Harvard or wherever you get your required reading list from puts it on the list a few years down the road, you will read it and it will become law.

You mean like Michael Lewis did, and didn't have the urge to save on the ink to describe the trading floor mentality?

Frankly, if my ideas were ever made into laws, I would make sure than people wouldn't be allowed to trade instruments where they don't have an understanding of their fundamentals, nor compensating them before the impact of the trade is history. Funny how you disparage accounting, when 90% of any trading book is based on accounting valuations.

You mean like Michael Lewis did, and didn't have the urge to save on the ink to describe the trading floor mentality?

Frankly, if my ideas were ever made into laws, I would make sure than people wouldn't be allowed to trade instruments where they don't have an understanding of their fundamentals, nor compensating them before the impact of the trade is history. Funny how you disparage accounting, when 90% of any trading book is based on accounting valuations.

I disparage accounting.....like the trillions of debt instruments still held offshore that are worthless and not on the balance sheets of these banks, or the fact that the medicare, SS, et al. liabilities that aren't included on the national balance sheet when quoting our national debt...when it is really a multiple of 3-5X what is stated?

Game over.......the Fed is looting the corpse.

I disparage accounting.....like the trillions of debt instruments still held offshore that are worthless and not on the balance sheets of these banks, or the fact that the medicare, SS, et al. liabilities that aren't included on the national balance sheet when quoting our national debt...when it is really a multiple of 3-5X what is stated?

Game over.......the Fed is looting the corpse.

Arthur Anderson is another good example