20 years ago today: 11/20/88

Like A Mofo

I do remember that. It was one of the earliest division clinches in history. :lol:

I remember seeing the video of the fans rushing the field and tearing down the goalposts. That's something you don't see in the NFL anymore.

College, yes. But not the NFL...the last time I remember fans partying on the field was when the Arizona Cardinals beat the San Diego Chargers on a last-second 50+ yard field goal to earn a playoff spot in 1998.

In the immortal words of Bob Seger, from the song "Like a Rock", recorded in 1986:

Twenty years now, where'd they go?

Twenty years, I don't know.

I sit and I wonder sometimes,

Where they've gone.

I was there... cold and raining all game...water gushing down the steps.

Pretty certain it was an NFL record, the first team to ever win the division that early in the season. 9-6 win in overtime.

FAN-DEMONIUM !!!

After the win I can recall watching in amazement as fans rushed by me jumping onto the field and heading toward the goal posts,then the posts came down and went up into the stands as fans passed them around the stadium .Awesome sight,have never seen anything like it since.

One of my all time favorite games :lol:

On a side note..In 1988, that was the year I first purchased 4 season tickets after I had read Marv Levy had hired ex Baltimore colts head coach Ted Marchibroda.I kept those season seats though most of the the 90's.

Mind you I wasn't a big fan of Marvs' even with his Grey cup wins and head coaching stints the Chiefs and USFL.But I was a big fan of Ted Marchibroda and Bert Jones,they could never get the Colts past the Steelers in the late 70's.

Of all the hires by Marv I think that Marchibroda was his best. He helped develop Jim Kelly into a hall of fame player after he had played in the Mouse Davis run and shoot stuff in the USFL.

Through the K-gun and no huddle,letting Jim Kelly call his own plays. Building a terrific offensive line and installing the "counter trey" for the running game.He set up an amazing offense in Buffalo.

The Colts re hired Ted marchibroda away from the Bills. Marchibroda is the forgotten man from that Bills dynasty. I think he is a big reason why Kelly and Thurman and Levy are all in the Hall.

P.S. Marv also tried to hire Tom Coughlin to run his defense! That hire might have come close to the hiring of ole Ted but Tom Coughlin went elsewhere,to the Jags as their first head coach if I recall correctly.

I get a program for every game. The program from that game is one of the few that isn't in pristine condition. Not only did the program get soaked, but I dropped it in the mud and I had to wash it when I got home. The program's pages are rippled, the cover is (barely) held together with tape and some of the ink is off the pages. After that game I would try to get the program before the game & leave it in my car. This year is the 1st I can't go to the Bills Store at the Ralph & get my programs before entering the stadium. I now have to keep the programs in the seat cushion. I did get one program before going into the stadium-at Foxborough, where they still sell the full sized program for $5.

Looking over some of those old "pro!" programs is a great ride down memory...I've got them going back to the first game at Rich. Sad that they don't develop a classic program like they used to.

I remember listening to it on the radio, me and some of my friends were camping/hunting/doing some underage-drinking at my uncle's cabin in Catt Co. It was actually pretty cool in retrospect to be listening to it on the radio with a few of my friends from my HS days.

As I remember my older cousin was at the game and he had some small hand in taking the posts down.

I was talking with a friend the other day - kids today probably don't have to listen to games on the radio much if at all. I started as a Bills fan in the 70's. Given that they mostly sucked sellouts at home were few and far between. Most home games you had to listen to on the radio.