My Meaningless Opinion

R. Rich

Man, was it nice to get to spend an entire weekend in Erie w/ my family! I got to spend a ton of time w/ my goddaughter and to see my other niece and nephew. We had a nice family dinner on Sunday and got to hang out and watch the Stillers beat San Diego. It was great.

As for what happened on Monday....

As crazy as it sounds, I can't really bag on the job of the O line, for the most part. Marshawn had the most daylight he's seen probably all season and they even kept the "Same Ol' Bills"-type penalties to a minimum. That said, there were still signs of weakness (Duke Preston being put on his face a couple times by Sean Rogers and company), but that's to be expected.

Our interior D line also did a pretty decent job. There wasn't much up the gut for Cleveland @ all. I even saw Kyle Williams have some pretty impressive plays in there.

Now, the outside guys.....yikes! I think the word is out league-wide on Mr "I'll Follow Any Play Down The Line And Break Contain" Ryan Denney. He still seems to have trouble diagnosing and reacting to that fairly new play called the reverse. As for the edge rush....was there much of one? The heat the Bills were able to put on Quinn (I'll get to him later) was w/ the LBs blitzing up the A gap. Speaking of, nice play by Kawika Mitchell on the near pick by Simpson.

Oh yeah, the secondary. Way to go, Terrence McGee! You were left on an island w/ a pretty dangerous receiver (when he doesn't have his drop spells) in Braylon Edwards and managed to have some nice breakups and provide solid coverage. When Greer went down, I heard some whining 'bout the secondary from some fans, but I thought McKelvin did a decent enough job when in there. Just catch those INTs when they come your way!! As long as you stay in Buffalo, you won't see many of those chances (see Pass Rush, Lack Of). Oh, and Reggie Corner, when you go in on a blitz, try not to overshoot the target: the quarterback. That's the whole point, man.

I don't know 'bout you all, but I still see the wideouts having some trouble getting open, especially on the underneath routes. Still, there were plenty of times when there seemed to be something open down the field (James Hardy in particular but also a few times w/ Steve Johnson) and it was missed by the QB. Even the fans were trying to point out when there were open guys down the field deep. But....Trent didn't see it. It was almost like watching guys like Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, and JP Losman w/ the pat, pat, pat...sack stuff. Ugh! I'd love to see the Bills try to throw deep, even if it doesn't work. They have to try to loosen coverage. They're wasting the main aspect of the receiving corps: speed. I don't get it.

And as for the Golden Boy who won the game, Mr Quinn? Yeah, he was sensational. I don't know what impressed me the most of his performance: the 14 of 36 completion ratio, the overwhelming 26 minutes and change he and the Browns were able to grind up on the clock, or the 3 out of 13 third downs they were able to complete w/ him @ the helm. I guess it was the zero turnovers he had thanks to a couple near misses by McKelvin and Simpson. Oh well. Let's just call him great 'cause he was able to lead his team to victory blah blah blah blah. I will give props to the Browns' real hero: Phil Dawson. Sitting in the endzone/tunnel side, I had a feeling of deja vu as I saw that FG go in w/ room to spare, just as Nick Folk's TWO FGs did last year in the Monday night game. Same endzone, too. Aren't I and many others (End Zone Crew, cablelady...you know what I mean) lucky?

Notice how I didn't start this time w/ the "All is well!" crap? It isn't. The more I see of the Bills, the more I realize how far they are from being a true contender for a championship. There's no quick fix here, folks. We're in for more of the same: waiting for things to get better. Good thing I keep that "there's always next year" handy.

Oh, and one last thing: someone was certainly right a week or so ago when they posted how Marshawn Lynch was such a bust. What a pathetic performance by a useless first round pick. Well, when his Emancipation Day arrives (the day his contract ends), I'll wish him the best and I'll look to see the first of his string of 1,500 yard rushing seasons behind a line that can get push to someplace other than the front door of the Big Tree Inn. Your time is coming, Beast Mode. I just wish it could come in Buffalo.

Cleveland is a below average NFL football team. I believe the Bills have better talent on both sides of the ball but even with that, Win or Lose monday night...Buffalo was not going to be a threat to make the playoffs (or do anything if they happened to luck into it). The Bills are devoid of talent on defense. They have pieces but one injury and it seems like they fall apart. They did play awfully hard on Monday night though.

For those busting on Lynch, its justified. NO ONE thinks he should be benched. We all know he has great talent. When you see knowledgable people like Jaworski and the other NFL talking heads breaking down film on Lynch, you can see his problems. Sorry, the Cleve defense stunk. Those were Mack truck like holes to run through. Marshawn just needs to run from point A to point B when busting through the line. Once he gets to the secondary, he can freelance and dance all he wants. I think Lynch saw how Freddie was doing it and maybe that helped. He was running more downhill on Monday night than he has all season.

Man, was it nice to get to spend an entire weekend in Erie w/ my family! I got to spend a ton of time w/ my goddaughter and to see my other niece and nephew. We had a nice family dinner on Sunday and got to hang out and watch the Stillers beat San Diego. It was great.

I'm glad you got to spend that time back home. Nothing like family... :thumbdown: I hope the snows didn't give you undue trouble.

I agree, Lynch was spectacular. Fine performance by Jackson, too.

Cleveland is a below average NFL football team.

Quiet as it's kept, so are the Buffalo Bills...

I believe the Bills have better talent on both sides of the ball but even with that, Win or Lose monday night...Buffalo was not going to be a threat to make the playoffs (or do anything if they happened to luck into it).

See?

The Bills are devoid of talent on defense.

Well....I don't know if I'd go that far, but they do have needs on that side of the ball.

They have pieces but one injury and it seems like they fall apart. They did play awfully hard on Monday night though.

Agreed that they did give it a good try. Now, imagine that kind of effort w/ a consistent, scary pass rush added to it. It's easy if you try.

For those busting on Lynch, its justified.

There's a difference 'tween pointing out a few flaws in someone's game and making the broad and incorrect generalization that they're a "bust".

NO ONE thinks he should be benched. We all know he has great talent. When you see knowledgable people like Jaworski and the other NFL talking heads breaking down film on Lynch, you can see his problems.

As I said, nothing wrong w/ pointing that stuff out. The Stillers have a guy in Roethlisberger who holds onto the ball entirely too much, to the point where even when he has ample time to do something (like RUN if there's nobody open), he still hangs on and gets sacked, which makes the novice (too drunk to remember anything beyond getting up to go back and forth to the bathroom) fan say how Pittsburgh's O line sucks and is always @ fault. Yet, the guy wins a ton of games (of course, his team has a PASS RUSH) and has been instrumental in his team winning a championship (while he played a stinker of a Super Bowl, he was dominant in the AFC title game that got the Stillers there). It's possible to be not quite perfect and yet still good enough to be a winner. You do need help, though.

Sorry, the Cleve defense stunk.

No argument from me. Even Shaun Rogers, a guy who is having a good season (though not quite the Joe Greene-esque season the media portrays), showed flashes (right, Duke Preston?), but did not dominate.

Those were Mack truck like holes to run through. Marshawn just needs to run from point A to point B when busting through the line. Once he gets to the secondary, he can freelance and dance all he wants. I think Lynch saw how Freddie was doing it and maybe that helped. He was running more downhill on Monday night than he has all season.

Just a guess here, but the guy is probably every bit as gun shy in getting to/running through a hole as past Bills QBs have been to just let the ball fly down the field. Why? 'Cause they know they're 'bout to get killed. Marshawn runs hard, but I think he just expects to have 3 guys hanging on him as soon as he gets the handoff. Watch the game again; you may even see him clutch @ his heart due to seeing the "Mack truck like holes" he had to run through, something he has seen before.............in college.

As crazy as it sounds, I can't really bag on the job of the O line, for the most part. Marshawn had the most daylight he's seen probably all season and they even kept the "Same Ol' Bills"-type penalties to a minimum. That said, there were still signs of weakness (Duke Preston being put on his face a couple times by Sean Rogers and company), but that's to be expected.

Our interior D line also did a pretty decent job. There wasn't much up the gut for Cleveland @ all. I even saw Kyle Williams have some pretty impressive plays in there.

Now, the outside guys.....yikes! I think the word is out league-wide on Mr "I'll Follow Any Play Down The Line And Break Contain" Ryan Denney. He still seems to have trouble diagnosing and reacting to that fairly new play called the reverse. As for the edge rush....was there much of one? The heat the Bills were able to put on Quinn (I'll get to him later) was w/ the LBs blitzing up the A gap. Speaking of, nice play by Kawika Mitchell on the near pick by Simpson.

Oh yeah, the secondary. Way to go, Terrence McGee! You were left on an island w/ a pretty dangerous receiver (when he doesn't have his drop spells) in Braylon Edwards and managed to have some nice breakups and provide solid coverage. When Greer went down, I heard some whining 'bout the secondary from some fans, but I thought McKelvin did a decent enough job when in there. Just catch those INTs when they come your way!! As long as you stay in Buffalo, you won't see many of those chances (see Pass Rush, Lack Of). Oh, and Reggie Corner, when you go in on a blitz, try not to overshoot the target: the quarterback. That's the whole point, man.

I don't know 'bout you all, but I still see the wideouts having some trouble getting open, especially on the underneath routes. Still, there were plenty of times when there seemed to be something open down the field (James Hardy in particular but also a few times w/ Steve Johnson) and it was missed by the QB. Even the fans were trying to point out when there were open guys down the field deep. But....Trent didn't see it. It was almost like watching guys like Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, and JP Losman w/ the pat, pat, pat...sack stuff. Ugh! I'd love to see the Bills try to throw deep, even if it doesn't work. They have to try to loosen coverage. They're wasting the main aspect of the receiving corps: speed. I don't get it.

And as for the Golden Boy who won the game, Mr Quinn? Yeah, he was sensational. I don't know what impressed me the most of his performance: the 14 of 36 completion ratio, the overwhelming 26 minutes and change he and the Browns were able to grind up on the clock, or the 3 out of 13 third downs they were able to complete w/ him @ the helm. I guess it was the zero turnovers he had thanks to a couple near misses by McKelvin and Simpson. Oh well. Let's just call him great 'cause he was able to lead his team to victory blah blah blah blah. I will give props to the Browns' real hero: Phil Dawson. Sitting in the endzone/tunnel side, I had a feeling of deja vu as I saw that FG go in w/ room to spare, just as Nick Folk's TWO FGs did last year in the Monday night game. Same endzone, too. Aren't I and many others (End Zone Crew, cablelady...you know what I mean) lucky?

Notice how I didn't start this time w/ the "All is well!" crap? It isn't. The more I see of the Bills, the more I realize how far they are from being a true contender for a championship. There's no quick fix here, folks. We're in for more of the same: waiting for things to get better. Good thing I keep that "there's always next year" handy.

Oh, and one last thing: someone was certainly right a week or so ago when they posted how Marshawn Lynch was such a bust. What a pathetic performance by a useless first round pick. Well, when his Emancipation Day arrives (the day his contract ends), I'll wish him the best and I'll look to see the first of his string of 1,500 yard rushing seasons behind a line that can get push to someplace other than the front door of the Big Tree Inn. Your time is coming, Beast Mode. I just wish it could come in Buffalo.

you're right. it was a meaningless opinion. B-)

No. I didn't have my cell phone w/ me @ the game, and my brother and I went to Danny's to eat afterwards. I didn't have my phone 'til almost 1am or so.

I will make a point of calling him some time this week to give him the riot act yet again.

That was your brother? Dang! He's hott! :lol:

I was just really disturbed about Trent's fear of even looking dowfield for a receiver and then throwing the checkdown.....

It bothers me....it really bothers me

I hate to beat this to death but before the "hit", TE wouldn't stare down his receivers who were lined up in bunch formations and only throw to them. Lately, he won't even look at a WR isolated on the other side even on the presnap!!! :lol:

Hell on 4 receiver formations he wouldn't key on anybody after the snap prior to "that game". That's why he was so dangerous completing nearly 80% of his throws. He always threw to the open man even if he was positioned in the middle of the field in front of a LB or S but now he won't even do that.