Why so depressed around here?

devldog131

All this pessimism around here is out of control. The following is a reply I posted in another thread that I feel needs to be more visible. And, I added a little to the end.

Why so cynical? Take a look at the rest of our schedule:

Week 12 - @Chefs - Just plain suck, d is a joke and offense is no better

Week 13 - 40 Whiners - Just plain suck, and traveling from west to east

Week 14 - Phish - Anything can happen in division games, and this one is almost home

Week 15 - @Jests - Anything can happen in division games and who knows which Favre shows up

Week 16 - @Ponies - Horrible defense, the O, especially the running game could put up huge #s

Week 17 - Patsies* - Anything can happen in division games, and this one is at home.

It's not over yet. Our team stepped up big in a number of ways last night. The o-line looked dominant in run and pass blocking, Beastmode and Head looked awesome, the defense finally looked almost up to expectations, the special teams were awesome until the last field goal, Fewell pulled his head out of his @$$ and called a pretty damn good game and with the exception of the last three plays Turk actually called a pretty dynamic and unpredictable game.

If Edwards can shake off the funk he's in(KC and SF should give him plenty of opportunity to rebuild his confidence), we will be looking like a pretty good team.

Don't be so cynical. We have the young, talented foundation for a team that can be good for years to come. Just sit back, enjoy watching these kids grow and feel good about the future of Bills football.

Before this season began, there were no delusions of granduer(at least not on my part) about this team or a Superbowl this season. We are exactly where a young team finally coming together should be. There are going to be some tough patches when a team this young and inexperienced starts gelling and learning to play together, but they are on the right track. I came into this season expecting to be a borderline(at best) playoff contender, but to improve and be much more competitive and respectable one or two more seasons down the line. We're where we need to be, where we should have expected to be(had the early success against teams who were far worse than expected not given everybody such lofty immediate goals), and where we are - primed for a long period of very good football set to begin in another season or two.

It's not about who we're playing IMHO, it's about HOW we're playing. It doesn't look like anyone has a fire in their belly except Marshawn. Freddie Jackson plays hard too. A lot of other people look like they're just going through the motions.

I also hate the playing not to lose. The 3 runs in a row to set up the field goal was both predictable and nauseating. This team seems to have lost it's fire and heart somewhere along the line. I don't know where it went.

i wouldnt overlook KC, thigpen is playin his brains out

Agreed. I haven't watched the Chiefs, but his stats this year are really solid. He's seemingly rebounded well from a catastrophic start to the year, and the Chiefs are playing opponents tough.

I'll be surprised if we finish better than 7-9 the way things are going. Sad.

All this pessimism around here is out of control. The following is a reply I posted in another thread that I feel needs to be more visible. And, I added a little to the end.

Week 14 - Phish - Anything can happen in division games, and this one is almost home

Week 15 - @Jests - Anything can happen in division games and who knows which Favre shows up

Week 16 - @Ponies - Horrible defense, the O, especially the running game could put up huge #s

Week 17 - Patsies* - Anything can happen in division games, and this one is at home.

It's not over yet. Our team stepped up big in a number of ways last night. The o-line looked dominant in run and pass blocking, Beastmode and Head looked awesome, the defense finally looked almost up to expectations, the special teams were awesome until the last field goal, Fewell pulled his head out of his @$$ and called a pretty damn good game and with the exception of the last three plays Turk actually called a pretty dynamic and unpredictable game.

If Edwards can shake off the funk he's in(KC and SF should give him plenty of opportunity to rebuild his confidence), we will be looking like a pretty good team.

Don't be so cynical. We have the young, talented foundation for a team that can be good for years to come. Just sit back, enjoy watching these kids grow and feel good about the future of Bills football.

Before this season began, there were no delusions of granduer(at least not on my part) about this team or a Superbowl this season. We are exactly where a young team finally coming together should be. There are going to be some tough patches when a team this young and inexperienced starts gelling and learning to play together, but they are on the right track. I came into this season expecting to be a borderline(at best) playoff contender, but to improve and be much more competitive and respectable one or two more seasons down the line. We're where we need to be, where we should have expected to be(had the early success against teams who were far worse than expected not given everybody such lofty immediate goals), and where we are - primed for a long period of very good football set to begin in another season or two.

How long have you been a fan of this organization One year!

"Id like to be 10-0, but right now we are 5-5 and I will take it". Our guys played hard football lastnight, they will get back to work and see where things go. I like the guys we have on the field, I like what they can do for us. I like our chances the rest of the way........

I think you have some valid points but the last 6 games we are 1-5, you are very optimistic. I would hope that one of the things that happens with our young team is that the coach matures (but I don't see it happening). I would love to see him turn into the G-mens coach. I think actually we could be where they were a few seasons ago, but only time will really tell. I have problems seeing the glass half full after losing that last game the WAY they did.

I think the Chefs win and Tyler Pigpen has a solid game. It will be a battle of flickering light bulbs between Jauwrong and Herman H. Edwards, but the bulb Edwards has will burn a bit brighter.

Maybe can beat the 49ers...Singletary might drop his drawers and have Jauwrong pass out.

I like it . . . that should stick.

Since the 80s that's hardly any hardship with this franchise! Pal

Right, because we didn't suck entirely until 1988? In the 20+ years I've been a fan, we have a winning record fewer than half of them. I have been through the struggles before the "glory days" and have stood by this team through the struggles of the last decade, never losing faith in my team and never doubting their ability to turn things around.

Just because I wasn't alive for the sad sad seventies doesn't make me less of a fan of this team. If anything, the fact that I have never lived in WNY and hadn't even seen it until four months ago makes me a better fan. I grew up and lived most of my life in the San Francisco bay area, during the raiders last superbowl and the years that the 40 whiners dominated the league. It would have been very easy for me to say "you know what, why don't I just support the local team," but I didn't, despite the local teams 5 superbowl rings.

The fact that you are older than me does not make you a better fan of the Bills. And doesn't mean I haven't been through plenty of struggles and heartbreak with this team.

I think you have some valid points but the last 6 games we are 1-5, you are very optimistic. I would hope that one of the things that happens with our young team is that the coach matures (but I don't see it happening). I would love to see him turn into the G-mens coach. I think actually we could be where they were a few seasons ago, but only time will really tell. I have problems seeing the glass half full after losing that last game the WAY they did.

I am very optimistic. The QB struggled, but we say some signs of life from this team monday. The line was again dominant, the backs were fantastic, the defense was better than it has been lately, the secondary was great, Fewell called a great game and with the exception of the last 3 plays, Schonert called a dynamic and unpredictable game.

I see no reason not to be optimistic. This team is far better than they were the last number of seasons and I am extremely happy about that. And, in the end, I'm just a fan. My livelihood doesn't depend on the success of the team(although sometimes my mental state does), I just love to watch the game of football and I am loving watching this group of young players grow and improve into what will be a great team.

"Id like to be 10-0, but right now we are 5-5 and I will take it". Our guys played hard football lastnight, they will get back to work and see where things go. I like the guys we have on the field, I like what they can do for us. I like our chances the rest of the way........

Reading that makes me sick. He should be fired for his post game bullsh!t. 3 weeks in a row we've had to listen to that "Well, we'd rather be 8-0, but we're 5-3, and I'll take that, especially considereing where we were last year". repeat. This week he couldnt use the "esp compared to last year" since we are now the same. How do you say that? How does that not come across except as accepting defeat? How do players like to hear that?

Are you going to consider how the Bills have played over the last four weeks when coming to the conclusion that all their remaining games are winnable or do you choose to ignore that fact? :thumbdown:

Are you going to consider how the Bills have played over the last four weeks when coming to the conclusion that all their remaining games are winnable or do you choose to ignore that fact? :thumbdown:

As I said earlier, aside from the QB play(which I billieve is an abberation) the rest of the team played very well Monday night. The O-Line was dominant, the backs were spectacular, the defense(especially the secondary) were great, the special teams were fantastic, Fewell called a great game, and with the exception of the last 3 plays, Schonert called a dynamic and unpredictable game.

Had Trent not experienced the struggles he had, Monday night would have been a blowout win.

If Trent can straighten himself out and the rest of the team continues to play the way they did Monday, we could very well win out and end up 11-5 and in the playoffs.