Trouble at Gate 1

I've gone to almost every game for 20 years now, and I've seen it all.

But my overriding memory of last night's game wasn't one of yet another in a long list of last minute heart breakers. No, it was of a chaotic, potentially dangerous scene at the security checks to get into the stadium at Gate 1 (and I imagine elsewhere).

Some Bills security genius had made the decision to funnel the thousands of rowdy fans crowding gate 1 into only two security points set far apart, rather than the normal line of such points, side by side, stretched across the entire turnstile area.

So, in the dark, with no instructions to the crowd-many of whom were drunk-the entry routine for the last few years was just thrown out the window.

As the huge mass of people in the center reached the area where the pat down area normally is set up, all they found was a long steel gate and nowhere to go. Idiots behind us were yelling "PUSH, PUSH" and the crush started to get real bad and scary. Some folks were handing their young children over the the gate to police, who were trying to hold the gates up and screaming at fans not to cross.

I was right up against the gate and lifted right off my feet. The barricade started to tip and the cops kept yelling "PUSH BACK!"...yeah, right. Finally the gate fell and people rushed through, some falling. Punches were being thrown at each other and at the police. Fans ran to the turnstile and were let through, but just as I handed my over my ticket to be scanned, some cops decided to barricade the turnstiles. Now I was being pressed hard into the turnstile from behind and the cop on the other side kept yelling at me "you're not going through" and "push back".

Finally, after maybe five minutes they decided to just let people through...what could they do?

Yes, these were police officers, by and large, and not stadiums security people. Their actions were dangerously infective , at best, but I believe they were put into a very bad situation by a horrendous security scheme devised by who knows who for who knows what reason.

Really, I can take the losses, but the Mickey Mouse organization is really wearing thin with me. After 20 years, I'm finally considering not renewing the season tickets next year.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a frightening story. That happened to me once at a concert in Hershey, PA when the nimrods running the show decided to have only one entrance open. As soon as people heard the band warming up, they started to push everyone from behind.

I guess the geniuses at the Ralph don't remember what happened in Cincinnati at that Who concert.

I suggest you write a letter to the Bills about this. Hearing the words "potential lawsuit" will get their attention.

Come on...give them a break....the Bills, Orchard Park Police, etc. have been dealing with this situation since what? 1972? They are still figuring it all out!

Oh....9/11 changed all the rules with security? Well, that was only eight years ago. Give them some time!

Totally, totally inexcusable.

That happened to me once, at a Pirate's game at Three Rivers. The ramps there funneled down to escalators, where there were man-access gates to release the patrons unto the outside concrete (one could also go onto the ground floor and go outside at one of the major entrance/exits).

At the foot of this particular escalator, the man-access gate was closed...so the people on the escalator stopped getting off because of the collected crowd...the stairs continued running downward, and folks at the top continued to get on the escalator. What a crunch.

There was a terrible tragedy at Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati, in 1979. Eleven people died.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Festival-seating

But my overriding memory of last night's game wasn't one of yet another in a long list of last minute heart breakers. No, it was of a chaotic, potentially dangerous scene at the security checks to get into the stadium at Gate 1 (and I imagine elsewhere).

Some Bills security genius had made the decision to funnel the thousands of rowdy fans crowding gate 1 into only two security points set far apart, rather than the normal line of such points, side by side, stretched across the entire turnstile area.

So, in the dark, with no instructions to the crowd-many of whom were drunk-the entry routine for the last few years was just thrown out the window.

As the huge mass of people in the center reached the area where the pat down area normally is set up, all they found was a long steel gate and nowhere to go. Idiots behind us were yelling "PUSH, PUSH" and the crush started to get real bad and scary. Some folks were handing their young children over the the gate to police, who were trying to hold the gates up and screaming at fans not to cross.

I was right up against the gate and lifted right off my feet. The barricade started to tip and the cops kept yelling "PUSH BACK!"...yeah, right. Finally the gate fell and people rushed through, some falling. Punches were being thrown at each other and at the police. Fans ran to the turnstile and were let through, but just as I handed my over my ticket to be scanned, some cops decided to barricade the turnstiles. Now I was being pressed hard into the turnstile from behind and the cop on the other side kept yelling at me "you're not going through" and "push back".

Finally, after maybe five minutes they decided to just let people through...what could they do?

Yes, these were police officers, by and large, and not stadiums security people. Their actions were dangerously infective , at best, but I believe they were put into a very bad situation by a horrendous security scheme devised by who knows who for who knows what reason.

Really, I can take the losses, but the Mickey Mouse organization is really wearing thin with me. After 20 years, I'm finally considering not renewing the season tickets next year.

These people in charge sound like morons.

Didn't the damn cops at least have a bullhorn to direct the crowd to stop pushing?

It is like I was saying during the week...I cannot understand why people pay to go see the game.

I'd much rather just watch it on TV.

Like getting a new waterfront stadium so the team can actually make money.

Who?

Who do you want to make money?

It certainly won't be the taxpayers.

If the Bills want a new stadium let them build one.

Let me clue you in on something.

The Bills make plenty of money.

And if that team was up for sale it would sell for over a half billion.

Wake up.

These people in charge sound like morons.

Didn't the damn cops at least have a bullhorn to direct the crowd to stop pushing?

It is like I was saying during the week...I cannot understand why people pay to go see the game.

My girlfriend is one of the event staff people and she worked this gate I believe (as she relayed me a story similar to this at 3:30am this morning). She said she will never work another Bills game again and she works them all because of the way the organization made this decision to "funnel" without warning the crowd and starting a near riot while telling the event staff people to work faster instead of solving the real problem.

Ummm.........no, not a one.

Well, as the ad slogan says, it really is a whole different game when you're there.

Now I was being pressed hard into the turnstile from behind and the cop on the other side kept yelling at me "you're not going through" and "push back".

So was the cop telling you to push back or telling other cops? I hear this kind of logic all the time and it's completely idiotic. Pushing back will never lead to anything good.

Ummm.........no, not a one.

It makes me wonder what these well prepared police would do if there actually was a terrorist act.

Sounds to me like they'd be clueless.

Well, as the ad slogan says, it really is a whole different game when you're there.

Yeah it sounds different alright.

I think I'll pass.

Being a victim of stadium security stupidity isn't my idea of entertainment.

Like I said during the week, I wouldn't take tickets to the game if they were free.

I just called and related my experience to Denise in season tickets. She was very sympathetic and said she'd make sure the complaint got to the right person.

Did you ask for a return call and the name and extension of the person who is to contact you?

Because otherwise you might be just getting a brush off.

This story is right on. Wasn't close enough to the gate to see what was going on, but was in the middle around all of the idiots yelling "PUSH, PUSH" and even "BEAST MODE" (now has ruined that term for me).