Is Schobel a better player than we give him credit for?

BuffaloBill

Hey K9 since you called me out and disappeared when I asked if you couldnt pick 10 players you would rather have manning that position vs Schobel. I can't compile rankings for all 64 ends in the league but here are 18 players I would feel more comfortable playing the position instead of Schobel, no particular order. Just my opinion but the basis for why I put Schobel in the top twenty. I didnt put much effort into compiling this list and could probably add a few more. Heck I would probably add Joey Porter there as well.

John Abraham

Julius Peppers

DeMarcus Ware

Dewayne White

Aaron Kampman

Mario Williams

Dwight Freeney

Jared Allen

Justin Tuck

Osi Umenyiora

Shaun Ellis

Kalimba Edwards

Aaron Smith

Shaun Phillips

Justin Smith

Patrick Kerney

Chris Long

Kyle Vanden Bosch

Not a bad list to be sure. But the only guys I would take before Schobel, given what I know about the schemes they play predominately are Peppers, Ware, Williams, Freeney, Kerney, and MAYBE Aaron Smith.

GO BILLS!!!

People who know football like GM's, opposing coaches, etc. know this guy is a great player who they must game plan for. They can do so much more with him out.

People who dont know football other than to look at a stat line on ESPN in the box score for number of sacks think he stinks or is over rated.

Sacks are the most over valued stat in football. The top sack guy is in the teens for sack totals every year...so that means you are judging a players season based on say 15 plays of the 700+ plays they were involved in. Or, even worse, a player is looked at negatively becuase out of the 700+ plays he didnt have 3 or 4 more plays where he touched a quarterback...

Its not the 1% of plays where a sack occured that matter, its the other 99% of the plays the player is on the field for and how he is contributing there. I mean, what about the tackles for a loss he puts on a RB...doesnt get registered as a sack, but usually causes as much if not more loss of yardage than a sack and occurs way more often.

What about his overall run defense, the double teams he commands that frees up other players, the pressure he gets, the screens he disrupts...

So, please, enough with the whole sack garbage as indicator of this guys skill. His sack totals were modest last year, but his peers insisted he be in the pro bowl as he caused them problems all year. And proof is in the pudding as our D has severly dropped off with his absence.

Cool K9 I respect your opinion and your basis for your opinion even if I don't agree with it. I guess I feel the scheme we play is broken as proven by our d lines performance the last few years. Thus I didnt put as much priority on the players fitting our scheme.

I'm surprised however that you wouldnt consider OSI over Schobel as I might have him at number one on my list.

I guess thats why we all have opinions.

I think the main problem I have with Schobel is I feel his speed has waned to the point where I don't think he can cut it at his current weight. Also I was really turned off by what he said to Mitchell about losing a step. Its ok to get older and come to terms with the fact that you are declining physically, however to let the wolves smell your blood is a whole other story.

I will agree with you on GO BILLS however.

Cheers

"What about his overall run defense, the double teams he commands that frees up other players, the pressure he gets, the screens he disrupts..."

When was the last time you saw Schobel draw a double team? because I havent seen it this year. Matter of fact last time I saw him he was being handled by Turnstyle.

Perhaps Schobels injury is much more than many thought as implied by the amount of time hes missing. Thing is I'm worried about a player his age whose game is based on speed recovering well.