High School Level Play at 2 positions is killing this team right now

Big Turk

I was thinking that too Bill (drafting a G) but I just don't know how high we'll be able to afford to with so many needs. I don't see any quality DT's in the draft so I'd add a DT and LB in free agency, and draftwise go DE, C, TE, and G. I'm praying a day 1 guard falls to that pick. I'd love to move Dockery to the right side, but with so many needs, that's the best plan for one offseason IMO.

Greadt post, but I think that a good center covers up a lot. Great guards are a luxury, and Dockery is better than average when paired with a decent center. Butler is fine, even if he isn't the greatest player in the world. The Bills center situation is truly dreadful. They don't have anyone who can play.

I have seen some bad offensive lineman in my time, but to see the absolute high school level play, for lack of better words, by Preston/Fowler and Chambers/Whittle is just mind boggling. Just how did these guys make it onto the active roster? Its not just bad---its pathetic. These guys are getting beaten to the point where you just want to go up to the other guy and tell him to cut it out because its just not fair. They look so ridiculous trying to block their opposing players, its almost comical. Its like the kid growing up whose parents forced them to play sports, even though they had no athletic talent, and then they got put in the game and everyone loved to play against them because they were so bad. They work really hard, but you can tell, they just aren't any good. These guys are consistently blocking the sides and backs of their opponents and half the time are falling over because their guys are by them so fast, they lose their balance trying to block and fall forward before catching their balance.

This isn't a joke---go back and watch them attempting to run block in the last 3 or 4 games...I almost started laughing. Among the funniest things I noticed(well, not really funny since I am a Bills fan) was that Preston actually was blocking players INTO the hole numerous times because he had no ability to lock on or sustain a block, and when the player started moving towards where the play was headed, he kept pushing them---only it was right into where the hole was supposed to be. However, the funniest thing was when Preston and Chambers attempted to execute a double team block on Wilfork. Wilfork beat Preston to the inside quickly, causing Preston to lose his balance. Chambers lunged after him to no avail, and both players chased him as he met Lynch 2 or 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage and made the tackle, at which point both Preston and Chambers ran into the pile and fell over it. It was a total Keystone Kops moment where the cops fall all over themselves trying to catch the bad guys. This stuff would be comical if the Bills weren't paying these guys to be professional athletes and perform at a high level. I can understand getting beaten once in a while---it happens to even the best. To get beat on, literally, and I am in no way joking here because I actually watched every running play closely, half----not 1 or 2 plays a game---HALF the running plays resulting an opposing player to be in the backfield before Lynch hits the LOS, is just a freaking joke. This is like a bad high school player trying to play against a really good one...this stuff should not be happening in the NFL. The fact that these guys are suited up and starting in an NFL game is making me sick to my stomach....we could find guys off the street who would do better than that. It almost makes you wish you could have Tuten Rayes, Mike Gandy, Trey Teague or Bennie Anderson back----I don't ever remember them getting beat that badly with such regularity....I know our running game was a lot better then....

What did happen to Fowler? is he injured? obviously he wasnt beat out of the position

Maybe Dockery belongs there. He is playing very soft this year, but he is big enough to be a bruiser. Perhaps.....just maybe we can draft a strong, mean, athletic player to plug in at left guard.

Well, Dockery certainly isn't playing up to potential, but his man is rarely in the backfield either. He tends to kind of dance with his guy at the LOS, neither really pushing him back much but not getting pushed back either....

However, for a guy that was considered one of the best run blocking guards when he was with the Redskins and was given what amounts to one of biggest compliments you can get at his position, being called a "road grader" by various scouts, his play is pretty disappointing...

Well, Dockery certainly isn't playing up to potential, but his man is rarely in the backfield either. He tends to kind of dance with his guy at the LOS, neither really pushing him back much but not getting pushed back either....

However, for a guy that was considered one of the best run blocking guards when he was with the Redskins and was given what amounts to one of biggest compliments you can get at his position, being called a "road grader" by various scouts, his play is pretty disappointing...

A really bad center creates a domino effect that makes otherwise good players playing an adjacent position look bad ...