Looking Back, If We Are Giving Dallas A Top 5 Pick

It was a $ issue. Dallas couldn't really afford a first round pick because Henson counts against their rookie cap.

Because they have Henson. The question is why did they pass on Steven Jackson and give the Bills their #1 ?

85574[/snapback]

Im sick of waiting.

It sucks....We have to wait another 10 months just to have hope again.

Im so sick of this. What is it now? 5 years without playoffs? Ridiculous.

85584[/snapback]

Just looking at the silver lining. This season is a major disappointment no matter how you cut it. At least we have Evans, McGahee and a very promising QB in the wings. BTW, I hope we draft nothing but offensive lineman next spring.

It's about the number.  You are looking at a short list from one draft.  Go back over the last 15 years and look at all the first rounders.  You will see that about 33% of them play to their number.  Another 33% become productive NFL players (though overpaid), with the remaining being busts.  That's a pretty decent percentage of chance to take when you think about what a proven veteran can do for similiar financial consideration.

Saying that no player picked in the first round in the last 15 years played above and beyond his cap number is inaccurate.

Teams don't swap their picks for a variety of reasons that are pretty easy to understand.  You also don't see N.E. (a team with multiple first rounders) packaging them up to move up and get the so called "impact" players.

If this were true - if there was ever an NFL team that outright preferred to be in the bottom part of the draft rather than the top part - then some team at some point would have made a trade reflecting that - an even up swap of 1st round picks in the same year. It has never happened.

You're right that many successful teams have been built through the middle and bottom of the draft. I'm sure that trading a high first rounder for two lower first rounders is a sound strategy much of the time. This however was a lopsided deal - pick "20" for pick (say "1-15") + a 2nd and a fifth. If he got back a 2nd and a fifth, it would be just about right.

Losman has all the tools to be a good NFL QB - maybe even a great one.  They aren't exactly growing them on trees these days.  Packaging a couple of picks and freeing up some future cap room at the same time for a chance at a guy like that is pretty smart.  Time will tell.

85522[/snapback]

Donahoe must be giving out some sweet Kool-Aid. This was not about the long term. This is about a GM desperate to hang onto his job because he knows the clock is ticking, so he decided a bird in hand was worth two in the bush. If he was worried about future cap money, he would have cut Drew and taken the hit for this year. Instead, he renegotiated him and moved some of his cap hit out into the future. Again - the strategy seems to be that Donahoe wanted every possible angle covered so he could survive this year.

He's killing the franchise.

Saying that no player picked in the first round in the last 15 years played above and beyond his cap number is inaccurate.

If this were true - if there was ever an NFL team that outright preferred to be in the bottom part of the draft rather than the top part - then some team at some point would have made a trade reflecting that - an even up swap of 1st round picks in the same year. It has never happened.

85593[/snapback]

Except I didn't say that. I said the percentages are vastly against getting a guy in the first round who plays to his number. That's it.

Personally, I'd much rather have a veteran like Takeo Spikes than ANY rookie available. That's the whole point.

No team is going to trade the 5th pick in the draft for the 20th, that is so ludicrous it doesn't bear more than a sentence. It makes no sense and the agent of the 20th pick would argue his client would be worthy of the same money regardless of regular slotting because the deal was even up.

We've already had this discussion over on the college football board. Yeah, it would be nice to have a top 5 pick. Kyle Orton looks like a solid college QB but will come at a hefty cap price. The bills saw Losman work out right after Eli Manning, and they were more impressed with JP then Eli. Who knows how it will turn out. JP loves to be here and is not breaking the bank. Give the guy a chance and see what happens.

BTW i still need webmaster help for

JPLosman.org

JPLosman.info and

EliManningSucks.net

PM me if interested.

No team is going to trade the 5th pick in the draft for the 20th, that is so ludicrous it doesn't bear more than a sentence.  It makes no sense and the agent of the 20th pick would argue his client would be worthy of the same money regardless of regular slotting because the deal was even up.

85629[/snapback]

If you meant that 33% play to or above their number, than I apologize AD, although I'm not sure I agree with your numbers.

But...if you agree trading the 5th for the 20th is ludicrous, then how can you defend the Losman trade? That's looking like it is exactly what TD did (except he threw in a 2nd and a 5th to boot!).

I love veteran players (and Spikes). Of course you sign a guy like that - he's a leader and a great player. I think though that a mix of youth and veterans is what teams strive for. Carolina and New England had a lot of rookies contribute last year.

Some franchises spend DECADES looking for the right player at that position. Ask any Cincinnati fan about the succession after Ken Anderson who played in the early 80's;other than Boomer Esiason, the list is WEAK! The string of failures in that town would make your head spin! Akili Smith and David Klingler were very high draft picks who simply were horrid.

Please consider the possibility of a tradedown for extra, less costly picks.

I think that it was a stupid trade and would rather have the pick, but I hope to be proven wrong.

85484[/snapback]

Hindsight isn't fair Bill. If you didn't like it from day 1 I can respect that, but you can't use the crystal ball on this one. We need a QB and we have one. Now it's time to find out whether he can play the game.

Personally, I'd much rather have a veteran like Takeo Spikes than ANY rookie available.  That's the whole point.

85629[/snapback]

Perhaps. But to make a more apples to apples comparison, I would rather have TWO low first round prospects than a veteran like Takeo Spikes. Both those players can be had for about what Spikes makes now (probably much less) and they can become solid contributors, if not stars.

Case in point, Philadelphia traded up in the first round to nab guard Shane Andrews. Not only have they plugged him in as a starter right off the bat, he has held is own and played great on a contending team. Getting a veteran guard of similar quality would cost millions. Ask the Lions and Bills what they paid Damien Woody and Ruben Brown at the prime of their careers.