The Earliest Date Making Sense for Bledsoe cut

I know a lot of fans want to see him gone yesterday, but if you support JP Losman as the QB of the future and the Bills prospects for 2005 then cutting Bledsoe now would be a bad idea.

By waiting until after June 1, 2005 Bledsoe becomes a cap casualty whose salary bonus is allocated over 3 seasons rather than 2. Even with a cut then (as I think the deal for him was a four year contract) we still have some significant but doable dead space for the 2006 season. However, if you cut him now, then that entire load plus is allocated to next season and just as the accelerated cap hit that the Pats suffered in the 2002 season was probably part of why they missed the playoffs both before and after SB wins, so to would an immediate cutof Bledsoe set this team back and guarantee that next year is a rebuilding year.

We will have Bledoe to kick around for quite a while yet though much if it will see him warming the bench and haging out in Montana next off-season.

I know a lot of fans want to see him gone yesterday, but if you support JP Losman  as the QB of the future and the Bills prospects for 2005 then cutting Bledsoe now would be a bad idea.

By waiting until after June 1, 2005 Bledsoe becomes a cap casualty whose salary bonus is allocated over 3 seasons rather than 2.  Even with a cut then (as I think the deal for him was a four year contract) we still have some significant but doable dead space for the 2006 season.  However, if you cut him now, then that entire load plus is allocated to next season and just as the accelerated cap hit that the Pats suffered in the 2002 season was probably part of why they missed the playoffs both before and after SB wins, so to would an  immediate cutof Bledsoe set this team back and guarantee that next year is a rebuilding year.

We will have Bledoe to kick around for quite a while yet though much if it will see him warming the bench and haging out in Montana next off-season.

85432[/snapback]

I don't know stevestojan about that, but I do know this HAS to be the shortest post I've ever seen from you.

Right now, Bledsoe is a below-average QB, but there are worse starters out there. Granted, his play against Baltimore was terrible, but he's had some decent--not great, but decent--games this year.

The plan was to let Bledsoe manage the game, make a few big plays, and win by running the ball and playing defense. Against Jacksonville, New England, and the Jets, Bledsoe managed the game and made a few big plays. Problem was, we didn't run the ball well in those games, and our defense let us down.

That said, I think we should focus on doing what we need to do to get Losman ready for that first snap of the 2005 season.

Maybe we could trade him.  Would somebody take him off our hands if we threw in a 2nd round pick?

85529[/snapback]

Trades also result in an immediate accelerated cap hit of all the bonus paid out (this is why the trade of Bledsoe to the Bills was so devastating to NE and probably cost them even making the playoffs between their two SB victories.

I'm not sure what Rico means with his 2004 date as Bledsoe must be cut after June 1, 2005 in order to spread his remaining cap hit over 2006 and 2006. If he were cut right now (or anytime beofre June of 2004)then the entire remaining bonus would be assigned to next years cap and reduce greatly our ability to sign FAs.

My understanding was that when he redid his contract it was specifically structured so that he would remain here thru 2005. I think that even those (rational) who view his abilities at the worst will concede that he's still a better backup than probably 20 other teams have. This being the case, it would be fiscally imprudent to cut him even next year.

sorry, we're not cutting bledslow.

we'll keep him here next year as a back-up, he has all throwing technique and no pocket presence.

Losman doesnt have great technique yet. well, i havent personally seen him play in a little while, but where he was before was still sub-par for the nfl.

Yes, its the coaches job to teach that but i wouldnt mind drew around to teach him some pocket-passing as well. As much as we need a mobile QB, he's still gonna have to be able to stand in the pocket and chuck it. with both feet on the ground.

Losman + Bledsoe's Arm = Favre