My take on Barack Obama's Election

Barack Obama will be my President come January 20.

I know that it may be difficult to read those words, especially coming from a confirmed Republican, but they are true. I will support our new President when he is sworn into office. I may disagree with his politics, I may disagree with the new Commander in Chief from time to time. But let it be known that I will give him the respect that the office deserves. Remember that Obama defeated McCain by more than 7 million votes. If that is not a mandate for change, I don't know what is.

Sixteen years ago, I made a mistake with Bill Clinton. I endlessly mocked the man after he was elected, figuring he was neither dignified enough nor professional enough to be President, due to his many indiscretions. In time, we found that Clinton let those indiscretions prevent him from becoming a great President. I should have respected the office more. A friend of mine said to me, in my depressed days after the 1992 election, that "the office controls the man". He could not have been more right. I am sorry that I acted the way I did so long ago.

I often long for the days of the late 90s; even though we had an impeachment of an American President over sex (which never should have happened), those days seem almost quaint to me now after 9/11, a war in Iraq (that we never should have gotten into in the first place) that has lasted longer than World War II, a bipolar stock market, subprime lending crisis, Katrina, oil prices...the list goes on and on. We have far too many people in this country concerned with American Idol and bad words on TV and not enough concerned with the corporate arrogance, hubris, and outright theft that killed Enron, Adelphia and Worldcom, among other companies.

I don't think George W. Bush is a bad man; after all, I voted for him twice. In retrospect, he was a man in over his head, and he let the neocons (who are not truly conservative) talk him into a war that should never have been fought. President Bush is going to wind up in history similar to LBJ, a President who became unpopular largely because of an unpopular war. Yet, I think where President Bush really lost the American people was his handling of Hurricane Katrina. Let us never forget that we nearly lost a major American city over how this crisis was handled, and that must never happen again.

I also want to salute John McCain, a man who has given of himself to this great nation over and over again. Thank you for running, and thank you for the grace and dignity that you showed in your concession speech last night. I wish, as you probably do, that people in the crowd didn't boo when you mentioned Obama by name.

To those who are wishing for a Messiah in Barack Obama: be prepared to be immensely disappointed. President-Elect Obama is a man. That is all he is. Do not expect miracles from him starting on January 21. Do not expect for him to wave a magic wand and make everything better right away, because it is simply not going to happen. We are in a world of hurt right now, economically, spiritually, and socially. Barack Obama's not going to make anyone's mortgage or car payments, contrary to the famous YouTube video.

President-Elect Obama will have a chance to select probably three judges for the Supreme Court. Justices Stevens (age 88), Ginsburg (age 75 and in poor health) and Souter (age 69 and wanting to go back to New Hampshire) will probably retire soon. I anticipate Justices Stevens and Ginsburg will finish out this term and retire next summer. These three justices are probably the three most liberal justices on the Court, and they will probably be replaced by liberal justices. I do not anticipate that Roe v. Wade will be overturned, partially for this reason, but this gives pro-lifers an opportunity to educate people on the effects of abortion, to promote adoption and (yes) birth control, and see to it that as few as possible are performed. Even President-Elect Obama wants abortion to be rare, albeit safe and legal. That's probably what we're going to have to shoot for right now. I know James Dobson, Pat Robertson and his crew don't want to hear that, but I believe it is true.

Yet, despite the fact that many of the President-Elect's policies differ from my own; I am hopeful, very hopeful, for the future of this nation.

Why?

Consider this: my parents were married in 1962 in Virginia. They just celebrated their 46th wedding anniversary. In 1962 in Virginia, couples of different races could not marry. Segregation, although beginning to take its dying breaths, was still functioning in Virginia and all of the other Southern states.

Contrast that with the fact that President-Elect Obama won Virginia on Election Night.

In the short span of 46 years, the length of my parents' marriage, we have gone from a nation where segregation was practiced and the Civil Rights Movement had not reached its peak, to electing an African-American as President. I believe that is nothing short of remarkable, and it gives me so much hope that this country is still viable, still hopeful, still the best land in the world.

I did not vote for Barack Obama, but it is not because I hate the man. In fact, I like him. I disagree with several of his policies, which is why he did not get my vote.

It is my strongest wish and desire that he do well for this country as its leader. You have my prayers, Mr. President-Elect. You are going to need them. As Eleanor Roosevelt said to Harry Truman upon his swearing-in as President, you are the one in trouble now.

Mike Murphy

North Olmsted, Ohio

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that it may be difficult to read those words, especially coming from a confirmed Republican, but they are true. I will support our new President when he is sworn into office. I may disagree with his politics, I may disagree with the new Commander in Chief from time to time. But let it be known that I will give him the respect that the office deserves. Remember that Obama defeated McCain by more than 7 million votes. If that is not a mandate for change, I don't know what is.

Sixteen years ago, I made a mistake with Bill Clinton. I endlessly mocked the man after he was elected, figuring he was neither dignified enough nor professional enough to be President, due to his many indiscretions. In time, we found that Clinton let those indiscretions prevent him from becoming a great President. I should have respected the office more. A friend of mine said to me, in my depressed days after the 1992 election, that "the office controls the man". He could not have been more right. I am sorry that I acted the way I did so long ago.

I often long for the days of the late 90s; even though we had an impeachment of an American President over sex (which never should have happened), those days seem almost quaint to me now after 9/11, a war in Iraq (that we never should have gotten into in the first place) that has lasted longer than World War II, a bipolar stock market, subprime lending crisis, Katrina, oil prices...the list goes on and on. We have far too many people in this country concerned with American Idol and bad words on TV and not enough concerned with the corporate arrogance, hubris, and outright theft that killed Enron, Adelphia and Worldcom, among other companies.

I don't think George W. Bush is a bad man; after all, I voted for him twice. In retrospect, he was a man in over his head, and he let the neocons (who are not truly conservative) talk him into a war that should never have been fought. President Bush is going to wind up in history similar to LBJ, a President who became unpopular largely because of an unpopular war. Yet, I think where President Bush really lost the American people was his handling of Hurricane Katrina. Let us never forget that we nearly lost a major American city over how this crisis was handled, and that must never happen again.

I also want to salute John McCain, a man who has given of himself to this great nation over and over again. Thank you for running, and thank you for the grace and dignity that you showed in your concession speech last night. I wish, as you probably do, that people in the crowd didn't boo when you mentioned Obama by name.

To those who are wishing for a Messiah in Barack Obama: be prepared to be immensely disappointed. President-Elect Obama is a man. That is all he is. Do not expect miracles from him starting on January 21. Do not expect for him to wave a magic wand and make everything better right away, because it is simply not going to happen. We are in a world of hurt right now, economically, spiritually, and socially. Barack Obama's not going to make anyone's mortgage or car payments, contrary to the famous YouTube video.

President-Elect Obama will have a chance to select probably three judges for the Supreme Court. Justices Stevens (age 88), Ginsburg (age 75 and in poor health) and Souter (age 69 and wanting to go back to New Hampshire) will probably retire soon. I anticipate Justices Stevens and Ginsburg will finish out this term and retire next summer. These three justices are probably the three most liberal justices on the Court, and they will probably be replaced by liberal justices. I do not anticipate that Roe v. Wade will be overturned, partially for this reason, but this gives pro-lifers an opportunity to educate people on the effects of abortion, to promote adoption and (yes) birth control, and see to it that as few as possible are performed. Even President-Elect Obama wants abortion to be rare, albeit safe and legal. That's probably what we're going to have to shoot for right now. I know James Dobson, Pat Robertson and his crew don't want to hear that, but I believe it is true.

Yet, despite the fact that many of the President-Elect's policies differ from my own; I am hopeful, very hopeful, for the future of this nation.

Why?

Consider this: my parents were married in 1962 in Virginia. They just celebrated their 46th wedding anniversary. In 1962 in Virginia, couples of different races could not marry. Segregation, although beginning to take its dying breaths, was still functioning in Virginia and all of the other Southern states.

Contrast that with the fact that President-Elect Obama won Virginia on Election Night.

In the short span of 46 years, the length of my parents' marriage, we have gone from a nation where segregation was practiced and the Civil Rights Movement had not reached its peak, to electing an African-American as President. I believe that is nothing short of remarkable, and it gives me so much hope that this country is still viable, still hopeful, still the best land in the world.

I did not vote for Barack Obama, but it is not because I hate the man. In fact, I like him. I disagree with several of his policies, which is why he did not get my vote.

It is my strongest wish and desire that he do well for this country as its leader. You have my prayers, Mr. President-Elect. You are going to need them. As Eleanor Roosevelt said to Harry Truman upon his swearing-in as President, you are the one in trouble now.

Mike Murphy

North Olmsted, Ohio

Good post.

....snip

Mike Murphy

North Olmsted, Ohio

Barack Obama was elected largely due to the fact that the majority of the US population is so fed up with the way things are that they would have voted for nearly anyone who was the Democratic Candidate. People want "change" without realizing that change for the sake of change is not necessarily a good thing. Things can "change" for the worse just as easily as things can "change" for the better. In other words, "Be careful what you wish for". Dont ever say, "Things can't possibly get any worse". Obama repeated that McCain represented the last 8 years and McCain wasn't able to convince voters otherwise.

It remains to be seen if Obama can live up to his promises. I do hope that he can steer this country to better times.

Why?

Mike Murphy

North Olmsted, Ohio

Very well said. I get the feeling that many Republicans on this board are actually hoping bad things happen to America so that they can say "I told you so." At least, that's how they're acting right now. Glad to see you aren't one of them.

Barack Obama was elected largely due to the fact that the majority of the US population is so fed up with the way things are that they would have voted for nearly anyone who was the Democratic Candidate. People want "change" without realizing that change for the sake of change is not necessarily a good thing. Things can "change" for the worse just as easily as things can "change" for the better. In other words, "Be careful what you wish for". Dont ever say, "Things can't possibly get any worse". Obama repeated that McCain represented the last 8 years and McCain wasn't able to convince voters otherwise.

It remains to be seen if Obama can live up to his promises. I do hope that he can steer this country to better times.

I agree with much of what you said, except that all the problems that ail the country politically are because of a consumption based GDP instead of production based. The biggest issue we have is that issue. Obama wants to fix it by making us more consumption based and less production based. Now that he has the Dem Congress they will push for the same mistake and push us further in the hole.

The problem with the GOP is that it is no longer conservative. They can't say they are about cutting programs, or cutting government, pro-USA manufacturing anymore. Most people who supported them on those issues, really their core voters, are dissatisfied with everything they have done. It says a ton that McCain got so many protest votes, because Obama should have won with 78% of the vote as most people don't think when they vote, but vote on sentiment.

All of the moral questions that each side addresses is nothing more than window dressing to their core constituents. They like to make them issues rather than push their agenda into law.

Dangit there is more to america than abortion. Stop voting on that one single issue.

That's something I don't do; I use the abortion argument as an example b/c of how important it is to many Christians.

Very well said. I get the feeling that many Republicans on this board are actually hoping bad things happen to America so that they can say "I told you so." At least, that's how they're acting right now. Glad to see you aren't one of them.

I don't want the country to get worse to say "I told you so" and I'm not a Republican, but Obama and this version of the Democrats are going to run this country down financially. As much as the markets are manipulated by bankers the problems we face are from GOP liberal policies in spending.

I don't have to say I told you so, I'm telling you it will be without a doubt. Their mentality economically is insane.

mike nicely done :oops:

Did you send that to any paper? If not, you should.

Thanks for the suggestion and the kind word. I just sent it via e-mail to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. It's too long for their opinion page; maybe it will be posted on their opinion blog.

I don't want the country to get worse to say "I told you so" and I'm not a Republican, but Obama and this version of the Democrats are going to run this country down financially. As much as the markets are manipulated by bankers the problems we face are from GOP liberal policies in spending.

I don't have to say I told you so, I'm telling you it will be without a doubt. Their mentality economically is insane.

I wasn't really talking about you, as you usually post intelligently. I was talking about the types that are already tearing Obama apart for offering Chief of Staff to Emmanuel and the "Obama is a lying communist fraud" types. They seem to be chomping at the bid to criticize our President-elect and I get the feeling that (even if its on a subconscious level) they want to see him fail.

Why?

Mike Murphy

North Olmsted, Ohio

Nice post. Now tell us how you feel :oops:

I agree with much of what you said, except that all the problems that ail the country politically are because of a consumption based GDP instead of production based. The biggest issue we have is that issue. Obama wants to fix it by making us more consumption based and less production based. Now that he has the Dem Congress they will push for the same mistake and push us further in the hole.

The problem with the GOP is that it is no longer conservative. They can't say they are about cutting programs, or cutting government, pro-USA manufacturing anymore. Most people who supported them on those issues, really their core voters, are dissatisfied with everything they have done. It says a ton that McCain got so many protest votes, because Obama should have won with 78% of the vote as most people don't think when they vote, but vote on sentiment.

All of the moral questions that each side addresses is nothing more than window dressing to their core constituents. They like to make them issues rather than push their agenda into law.

I'm not sure what ails the country politically. I'm not sure there IS a political ailment. But greedy institutions lending money to people who can't pay it back seems to be one helluvan economic ailment.

I disagree. Barack, more than McCain demonstrated his desire to create a new American infrastructure and stated that the obvious target for doing so is energy.

I think that developing a new infrastructure around energy (if this is the ONLY thing that happens during Obama's 4/8 years I'll be one happy camper) kills about a dozen birds with one stone. It puts people back to work, decreases the cost of energy, secures an American-based "product" that can't be outsourced in ANY phase of production, it eliminates our dependency on foreign oil (god I"m getting sick of that phrase), and one can reasonably assume it will help the environment.

It also has the capability of re-inventing the auto industry, and the transportation industry at large. IMO we need to stop regarding automobiles as accessories and use them for tools. Buy one, keep it for twenty years. IMO we need more travel-by-rail, and we SHOULD have a high speed network in place already.

If Obama makes good on this promise to develop a new energy infrastructure, he will fundamentally CHANGE America and its future.

Sorry for veerring this thread, Buckeye, the words you have written command the utmost respect. Props.

You mean like the Democrats did in 2000 and 2004?

You mean like many on the left who wanted us to fail in Iraq? Look up the comments of Reid, Murtha and the like. They make me sick.

You mean like many on the left who wanted us to fail in Iraq? Look up the comments of Reid, Murtha and the like. They make me sick.

Are Reid and Murtha on this board? And no, most liberals did not want us to fail in Iraq. We wanted a quick withdrawal because we felt it was an unjust war to begin with.