Phillies Win

Wacka

I wanted the Rays to win, but I had no idea Iwamura was going to spend the entire series killing his own team. Nice drop to start the night, pal. :ph34r:

The Phillies have an awesome team. I like just about all their players so I'm happy for them anyway.

Awesome. for over 2 miles, people pour into the streets and there are 5 overturned cars (by reports), some broken wondows, and 1 store broken into.

That's like a broken plate at a party.

The people of Philly were great last night. It was a fun and relatively peaceful HUGE party, with a few nimrods who would be present in any group.

As to whether Philly is a true sports town, I also don't know what to say. There are maybe 10 really great sports citeis in the US. Philly is in the top 5. They eat their own but they LOVE their teams. Try to criticize them as an outsider and you'll probably get a punch in the face and deserve it.

But they'll buy you a beer if you hate the team as an insider.

I wanted the Rays to win, but I had no idea Iwamura was going to spend the entire series killing his own team. Nice drop to start the night, pal. :blink:

The Phillies have an awesome team. I like just about all their players so I'm happy for them anyway.

I think that was a tough, tough play. The infield was playing very shallow and it was pretty windy. Not a routine catch at all, IMO. And furthermore, he made up for it with that absolutely vicious ground ball snag the next inning. That was a gold glove stop.

Not saying he had a great series, but he played a good Game 5. And if not for an epic play by Chase Utley, he might have had the game winning RBI.

Not saying he had a great series, but he played a good Game 5. And if not for an epic play by Chase Utley, he might have had the game winning RBI.

That Utley play was awesome. Faking to first (where he had no play) baited the runner to try for home--one of the smartest plays you'll see someone make.

That Utley play was awesome. Faking to first (where he had no play) baited the runner to try for home--one of the smartest plays you'll see someone make.

I assumed the runner had already turned the corner thinking Utley would certainly go to first. I think it was a good decision by the runner to force the action, but absolutely a heads up play and great throw by Utley.

I assumed the runner had already turned the corner thinking Utley would certainly go to first. I think it was a good decision by the runner to force the action, but absolutely a heads up play and great throw by Utley.

I think Utley faked the throw so the runner rounding third would commit, knowing he could never get Upton at first. If Utley had caught the ball and looked at the runner rounding third, he would never have gone home. The fake baited him.

I think Utley faked the throw so the runner rounding third would commit, knowing he could never get Upton at first. If Utley had caught the ball and looked at the runner rounding third, he would never have gone home. The fake baited him.

I'm not sure; if the runner was still at or close to 3d when Utley made the fake, I don't think the play would have been as close as it was at home. Either way, very good play by Utley. The Phillies dominated Sept and Oct and certainly are a deserving champ, as much as that hurts this Mets fan to say.

I'm not sure; if the runner was still at or close to 3d when Utley made the fake, I don't think the play would have been as close as it was at home. Either way, very good play by Utley. The Phillies dominated Sept and Oct and certainly are a deserving champ, as much as that hurts this Mets fan to say.

It was a great play by a great player. It was also a fantastic example when teaching Little Leaguers. When you're coaching the tykes, you ask "If the ball comes to you, what are you going to do?" You know CU had it in his mind that if it was hit up the middle he'd have little chance of getting Iwamura (not Upton) at first and he'd have to check Bartlett for rounding 3rd. I'm sure Rollins was yelling instructions at the time, too.

In baseball, it's often the little things. And most folks just don't get it.