Worrying about the Jets

This is a huge game for the Bills; bigger than the Miami game given the Jets record. Given that they have to play at NE the next week, the Jets game could prove to be key in determining whether they make the playoffs. If they lose, they may very well be 5-4 and in third place with seven games to go. Here's what worries me:

1) our cornerback situation is a disaster, and Favre may well shred it even more than Pennington. The Cards were undermanned against him due to injury, and it was ugly.

2) They have a very good pass rush (24 sackes total to our 11). Moreover, the Bills have had a great deal of trouble in four of the past five games (Oakland, St. Louis, Arizona, and Miami) blocking good rushers. Interestingly, Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas have four sacks apiece, and short-lived Bill David Bowens has three. Bowens alone alone has three times more than any lone Bills DE, and as many as all of our DEs combined.

3) Thanks to Kris Jenkins, who is playing very well, they are giving up 3.2 yards per run. The Bills struggle to run as it is.

4) Partly because of the addition of Alan Faneca, they're averaging 4.6 yards per rush.

Obviously, the Bills need to win the turnover and special teams battles.

I agree this game is huge. We still have a lot to prove to the rest of the NFL IMO. We are 5-2, but have not dominated anyone since the opening game. (We did play very well against San Diego though) Also, in our two losses, we looked horrible on defense, and our offense turned the ball over too much.

The Jets are a decent team, but not great by any means. They almost lost to a horrible Chiefs team, but that is the NFL this year. Playoff caliber teams win their home divisional games hands down. I think the Bills will come out with a very strong effort. With TE we have a large upside on offense. Our defense worries me some. We look far from dominant, especially in the front seven. How can you get to the playoffs without any semblance of a pass rush from your front four is the big question? I think Kawika Mitchell could be our best pass rusher.

I agree this game is huge. We still have a lot to prove to the rest of the NFL IMO. We are 5-2, but have not dominated anyone since the opening game. (We did play very well against San Diego though) Also, in our two losses, we looked horrible on defense, and our offense turned the ball over too much.

The Jets are a decent team, but not great by any means. They almost lost to a horrible Chiefs team, but that is the NFL this year. Playoff caliber teams win their home divisional games hands down. I think the Bills will come out with a very strong effort. With TE we have a large upside on offense. Our defense worries me some. We look far from dominant, especially in the front seven. How can you get to the playoffs without any semblance of a pass rush from your front four is the big question? I think Kawika Mitchell could be our best pass rusher.

Mitchell is clearly our best pass rusher.

I think we will see some different things out of the Bills this week to give the Jets some fits. In the last few weeks it just seems like what we did was getting predictable. I'm guessing some odd formations like the one used when most d linemen are standing and then some drop back and play linbacker while we rush some linebackers. Maybe a trick play or two on offense to get Kris Jenkins moving around and try to tire him out.

After the performance in Miami I think the coaches will challenge the players to go out there and prove they are the team to beat in the AFC East.