Marshawn Lynch or the OL

Willis990

I would partially agree with zak,Its the O-line not holding the blocks long enough.

From what i see Marshawn is a friggin beast and freddy is a mini beast,both are doing an excellent job.

The fans sit back and think that because the Bills paid X amount of $ for a FA O lineman that the player should be great,not always the case.The fans hear that the Bills line is one of the biggest in the NFL,bigger is not always better!

When the Bills field a fully healthy line they do a fairly decent job,better pass blocking then run blocking this year it would appear. Then again Trent Edwards has been getting the ball out pretty quickly.

The things i notice are that the Bills don't seem to run many "miss direction" plays,they pretty much run their basic packages over and over and stick with that. i suppose that they need to because of the changes due to injuries.

I'm not a real big fan of the "zone" blocking scheme. I used to love watching the 90's Bills run the old redskins "counter trey".

The Redskins are currently using a new form of that,where the entire line starts moving one way and then shifts the other way. Clinton Portis can then cut back or take the hole,its working very very well for them.He is also the leading rusher in the NFL.

Think i remember the Bills sending Lee Evens on an end around that got some decent yardage in one game,they didn't run it again and then haven't seen it since,dunno why.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of tough to get a bunch of 100-yard games when he's averaging fewer than 18 carries per game, yes?

Lori's right.

With 18 carries he would need to average 5.5 yards per carry. The average for a great RB is approx. 4.3 yards per carry which requires approx. 23 carries to achieve. IMO, it's the running by committee approach being taken by the offense. It's not giving Marshawn enough time to get into a rhythm. Fred Jackson is great but one RB needs to be the dominant rusher during a game and I believe it should be Marshawn.

Kind of tough to get a bunch of 100-yard games when he's averaging fewer than 18 carries per game, yes?

Sal Maiorana (TBD front page) says the Dolphins have shown the rest of the league how to shut down Buffalo.

"Opponents can be expected to rush three or four men like Miami did and drop everyone else into coverage, making it that much tougher for Edwards to find anyone open."

My question is - if only 3 or 4 guys are rushing and the rest are back in coverage, would it be too much to ask the OL to open up a hole you could drive a truck through? :P

Run the damn ball!

Sal Maiorana (TBD front page) says the Dolphins have shown the rest of the league how to shut down Buffalo.

"Opponents can be expected to rush three or four men like Miami did and drop everyone else into coverage, making it that much tougher for Edwards to find anyone open."

My question is - if only 3 or 4 guys are rushing and the rest are back in coverage, would it be too much to ask the OL to open up a hole you could drive a truck through? :P

Run the damn ball!

OMG - he's right :blush:

I had not seen this stat, but makes an excellent reason why we don't get 100 yrd rushers. Apparently the only way it will happen will be to break a really big one off.

Guest dog14787
Lori's right.

With 18 carries he would need to average 5.5 yards per carry. The average for a great RB is approx. 4.3 yards per carry which requires approx. 23 carries to achieve. IMO, it's the running by committee approach being taken by the offense. It's not giving Marshawn enough time to get into a rhythm. Fred Jackson is great but one RB needs to be the dominant rusher during a game and I believe it should be Marshawn.

Marshawn lynch is averaging 3.7 yards a carry and 6.1 yards a catch. Fred Jackson is averaging 4.2 yards a carry and 8.6 yards a catch. Marshawns numbers have decreased from 2007 to 2008, Freddies have increased, then add the fact that fast Freddie gets less play time.

So for those of you who would like to see Marshawn Lynch run the ball more and Freddie Jackson get less touches, I fail to see the logic.

Freddie Jackson deserves to start, his stats and big play on the field suggests we need to get him the ball more, not less.

Want a 100 yard rusher? Action Jackson's your man.

note: Fast Freddie career average a carry, a lofty 4.7

Marshawn lynch is averaging 3.7 yards a carry, 6.1 yards a catch, Fred Jackson is averaging 4.2 yards a carry, 8.6 yards a catch so for those of you who would like to see Marshawn Lynch run the ball more and Freddie Jackson get less touches, I fail to see the logic.

Freddie Jackson deserves to start, his stats and big play on the field suggests we need to get him the ball more, not less. :nana:

Marshawn is the power back. He can really wear down a defense. Jackson should be on the field at the same time with Lynch a lot but once Lynch gets going he's really hard to stop. Jackson doesn't have the power Marshawn does. It was evident on the goal line stand on Sunday. When Marshawn is given a lot of carries he gets into a zone.

Marshawn lynch is averaging 3.7 yards a carry, 6.1 yards a catch, Fred Jackson is averaging 4.2 yards a carry, 8.6 yards a catch so for those of you who would like to see Marshawn Lynch run the ball more and Freddie Jackson get less touches, I fail to see the logic.

Freddie Jackson deserves to start, his stats and big play on the field suggests we need to get him the ball more, not less.

Want a 100 yard rusher? Action Jackson's your man.

You want 100 yard rusher....give one of your backs 20-25 rushes a game....its that simple....

Just alil stat for yall....

Jackson in the 1st half carries for 3.3ypc.....

In the 3rd quarter that jumps up to 7.4ypc....

Anyone wonder why that is??

You want 100 yard rusher....give one of your backs 20-25 rushes a game....its that simple....

Just alil stat for yall....

Jackson in the 1st half carries for 3.3ypc.....

In the 3rd quarter that jumps up to 7.4ypc....

Anyone wonder why that is??

Care to tell us what Lynch's average is? It's lower unless you want the Miami game to be the only game you measure. Jackson has played better rushing, catching, and on special teams. The Lynch loves comes down to adoring 1st rounders, which to me is the worst type of homerism. I want the best man playing.

Lori's right.

If Lynch got 23 carries he still wouldn't average 4.3, he's closer to ordinary than great, a lot closer.

Care to tell us what Lynch's average is? It's lower unless you want the Miami game to be the only game you measure. Jackson has played better rushing, catching, and on special teams. The Lynch loves comes down to adoring 1st rounders, which to me is the worst type of homerism. I want the best man playing.

Lynch carries for 3.6ypc in the 1st half....

jumps up to 4.1 in the 3rd quarter....There a quite a few reasons this happens....

Guest dog14787
Marshawn is the power back. He can really wear down a defense. Jackson should be on the field at the same time with Lynch a lot but once Lynch gets going he's really hard to stop. Jackson doesn't have the power Marshawn does. It was evident on the goal line stand on Sunday. When Marshawn is given a lot of carries he gets into a zone.

Power over yardage and that makes sense to you?

So use Marshawn on the goal line when we need one yard, he's great, but if you want big plays then Fred Jackson has proved he's the man for the job.

I actually like the idea of using both backs -- pound 'em with Lynch, then let Jackson come in and run by 'em -- but no matter who lines up behind Edwards, that $100 million O-line isn't giving Ralph his money's worth.

Just my opinion ...

I actually like the idea of using both backs -- pound 'em with Lynch, then let Jackson come in and run by 'em -- but no matter who lines up behind Edwards,
that $100 million O-line isn't giving Ralph his money's worth.

Just my opinion ...

Another way of saying that is ... The coaching staff isn't getting it out of them.

Power over yardage and that makes sense to you?

So use Marshawn on the goal line when we need one yard, he's great, but if you want big plays then Fred Jackson has proved he's the man for the job.

A lot of fans are sucked in by this 'beast mode' garbage.

Lynch goes out of his way to lay hits on the defense but the end result is what counts...YPC is far more important than any of this 'beast mode' .

The people should realize that Lynch ia nothing special to NFL defenses powerwise, these defenses have seen tougher then him.

It's far more effective to have a back like Thuman Thomas who can hit a seem and pick up big gain with ordinary blocking.

Lynch isn't the type of back that can make an average line look much better than average.

A lot of fans are sucked in by this 'beast mode' garbage.

Lynch goes out of his way to lay hits on the defense but the end result is what counts...YPC is far more important than any of this 'beast mode' .

The people should realize that Lynch ia nothing special to NFL defenses powerwise, these defenses have seen tougher then him.

It's far more effective to have a back like Thuman Thomas who can hit a seem and pick up big gain with ordinary blocking.

Lynch isn't the type of back that can make an average line look much better than average.

You're discounting that the pounding wears down the defense and makes them suck wind in the fourth quarter or before.

Simply because someone in this forum keeps saying Marshawn is only avg,that doesn't make it a fact.

In Sundays game against the Dolphins,the first series the bills had the ball to the five yard line first and goal.

First run-Fred Jackson up the middle to the four yard line.

second run-Fred Jackson up the middle to the one yard line.

Third run-Fred Jackson left side, no gain

Bills settle for a field goal. :devil:

No opening to run through,plain and simple...

Marshawn was on the bench and the trainers were looking at him for this series otherwise he would have been in there.

Would Marshawn have been able to push his way into the end zone? Doubtful the way the Bills line collapsed.Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage.

If Fred Jackson was the better back he would be starting,PERIOD!

I don't see Dick Juron playing any player simply because they were a higher draft choice. If that were the case Jason Peters would have never made the team because he would never get a chance to play in front of the high priced FA's and draft picks.This is exactly why JP is sitting and Trent Edwards is playing.

The bills seem to find themselves in 3rd and long a ton in every game mostly because they can't get decent yardage on first and second down running. Trent has to make the first down by passing.

Most teams think that if they can stop the run and force you into passing situations the percentages are then in their favor,and they are right. That is the plan that most teams go into a game with.

Anyway my take is the Bills have two excellent backs in Lynch and Jackson,they just need some holes to run through.