Political Passion, but only every 4 years

It's always exciting during a Presidential election. Everybody loves talking about it, but after the elected candidate's inauguration, most people stop caring. For the average American, the Presidential race is more of a water cooler topic. People talk about Presidential elections in the same way they talk about last week's episode of Lost.

Meanwhile, local elections take place every year that probably have MORE of an immediate impact on lifestyle, and nobody really seems to care. I find this VERY VERY FRUSTRATING. The other day on the Today Show I heard Ann Curry say something about how it's so great to see people get excited about politics "every two years". So even Ann Curry fails to realize that there are elections every year.

Whether Obama, McCain, Nader, Ron Paul, etc. get elected has no immediate impact on MY LIFE. I still have to work hard, spend below my means, and live my life. Now, if some chode is elected to be my Congressman, or state senator, or county executive, I would argue that I would see a more immediate impact on my life. I wish people were as passionate about local politics as they were about national politics.

Out of all of you partisan axe grinders here on PPP, how many of you vote EVERY YEAR in primaries and general elections? If you didn't vote last year, then I think all of your arguments on this message board lose their credibility.

It's always exciting during a Presidential election. Everybody loves talking about it, but after the elected candidate's inauguration, most people stop caring. For the average American, the Presidential race is more of a water cooler topic. People talk about Presidential elections in the same way they talk about last week's episode of Lost.

Meanwhile, local elections take place every year that probably have MORE of an immediate impact on lifestyle, and nobody really seems to care. I find this VERY VERY FRUSTRATING. The other day on the Today Show I heard Ann Curry say something about how it's so great to see people get excited about politics "every two years". So even Ann Curry fails to realize that there are elections every year.

Whether Obama, McCain, Nader, Ron Paul, etc. get elected has no immediate impact on MY LIFE. I still have to work hard, spend below my means, and live my life. Now, if some chode is elected to be my Congressman, or state senator, or county executive, I would argue that I would see a more immediate impact on my life. I wish people were as passionate about local politics as they were about national politics.

Out of all of you partisan axe grinders here on PPP, how many of you vote EVERY YEAR in primaries and general elections? If you didn't vote last year, then I think all of your arguments on this message board lose their credibility.

Thank you for espousing the idiotically narrow view that political discussion must ONLY be about elected officials. Now go away.

I did not say that.

Yes you did.

Now go away.

Yes you did.

Now go away.

So are you saying you didn't vote last year?

political discussion must ONLY be about elected officials.

Does not equal:

With posters here from the 50 states and the 5 continents i don't think a thread about the city elections of East Aurora 'd have much success anyway...

And to anwser to your question: I vote each time i have the opportunity to...

I wasn't suggesting that the discussion on PPP should be focused on local elections, I was just pointing out something I observe throughout my interaction with people.

Feel better now that you mounted your high horse?

The presidential vote is the most important single vote that everyone here (or anywhere in the US) participates in. So guess what: it gets more talk and coverage. I can turn to any American and talk about it because it affects us all. For the most part, the guy next to me at the Phillies game may not know Allison Schwartz.

Now that I have said my piece, go away.

Google some stories Ollie. Voter registration fraud. Its happening all over our Country.

Have they checked the voting machines this time?

Those frauds stuff are not very good for the USA PRs IMO... Some guys don't buy that "greatest democracy on Earth " thing anymore (and since the Florida fiasco 8 years ago) ... That could be a good idea to have clearer results this time...

P.S. I too vote at every opportunity as my civic duty. I just don't spend as much time thinking about the overall economic theory of a person at the local level. Mostly it is about reining the mutts in, changing the time on the traffic signals, figuring out how folks feel about property taxes and if they are paying the bills on time and not absconding with any of the funds.

Wait those are national issues too <_<