Support the troops

I kinda disagree with you here...Training is important...Very important...Could money be spent more wisely..Absolutely. As much as I hate to admit it...I'll agree with Molson...End of quarter money had to be spent..ASAP...We didn't want to have our funding cut for the next fiscal year. Was and still is the mindset.

The issue is whether the DOD is deserving of being singled out as being bloated and inefficient, and if it stands out from the social programs.

I'm all for Education. But - absent this thread - if I asked you how much the Federal Government spent on education and training programs in comparison to overall military spending, would you really guess one sixth? Would you say we spent as much on that as we do in Iraq and Afghanistan? Do you see enough impact around you that you would guess we spend $100 billion dollars a year?

Maybe they should have their budget cut in half to 'get efficient.' No, wait a minute - I heard President Obama two days ago promising a surge in federal spending to support the hiring of new teachers...

I remember hearing in the early 90s that only about 33 % of the welfare money actually got to the people that needed it- the rest was bureaucratic waste. Probably down to 25% by now.

Not to mention how much is going to illegal aliens.

Yes.

Care to elaborate?

The Dept of Education alone gets over $56 billion dollars - this in a country in which education is funded locally. That's 50% more than the budget of Homeland Security, twice the budget of the Department of Energy, and more than three times NASA's budget. Tell me - what do you think they are doing that is in line with what they are spending?

What do we have to show for the $56 billion dollars?

Care to elaborate?

The Dept of Education alone gets over $56 billion dollars - this in a country in which education is funded locally. That's 50% more than the budget of Homeland Security, twice the budget of the Department of Energy, and more than three times NASA's budget. Tell me - what do you think they are doing that is in line with what they are spending?

Let me get this straight...your argument against the Pentagon's HR budget is that Education is over-funded?

No, I don't care to elaborate. You're an idiot.

Let me get this straight...your argument against the Pentagon's HR budget is that Education is over-funded?

No, I don't care to elaborate. You're an idiot.

No, Retard. I made it clear that I think bloat and inefficiency goes hand in hand with all large organizations, and I'm simply calling out the hypocracy of those saying the DOD can do what it does efficiently on half the budget while ignoring the likewise bloated programs for social services. You are the one defending $100 billion a year for education and training, and said that you see $100 billion a year in impact. So what is it exactly that you see?

Care to elaborate?

Haha NASA? Do you really consider that important? Space...the final frontier...we came, we saw, we left. Of course it's all very scientifically interesting, but it's funny that you would list it among things like homeland security, energy, and education.

Besides, space exploration ought to be privatized.

Haha NASA? Do you really consider that important? Space...the final frontier...we came, we saw, we left. Of course it's all very scientifically interesting, but it's funny that you would list it among things like homeland security, energy, and education.

My point in listing it is not to judge importance, but simply to provide benchmarks for comparing budgets. Remember, the issue is bloat and inefficiency in organizations. We provide three times as much money to education and training at the Federal level than NASA. Do you see three times the output? Regardless of whether you think NASA's missions are worth doing in the first place (and I agree about privatization of space), you have to admit that they actually get a lot done with their money in comparison to other agencies.

Care to elaborate?

That is too much, but it really is the Republican's responsibility for not cutting it. They had all the power and did nothing to this stupid Department when they could have easily made an argument for it being cut. But the GOP by the time Bush was elected didn't care, they were stagnent by then. Hopefully the Dems will come in and shuffle money about in a smarter way until they too become totally stagnant.

My point in listing it is not to judge importance, but simply to provide benchmarks for comparing budgets. Remember, the issue is bloat and inefficiency in organizations. We provide three times as much money to education and training at the Federal level than NASA. Do you see three times the output? Regardless of whether you think NASA's missions are worth doing in the first place (and I agree about privatization of space), you have to admit that they actually get a lot done with their money in comparison to other agencies.

Ok I'll agree with you on that, even though we all know America never REALLY put a man on the moon and that the whole thing was just shot in a basement in Hollywood. (I've got a buddy who actually believes that haha)

Obligatory defense of NASA list. I would argue that no government organization has been a successful and beneficial as NASA over the years. It has paid for itself many times over and is the last place you should look when trying to trim our bloated government budget.

Who's contributed more to our society?

http://www.thespaceplace.com/nasa/spinoffs.html