eball's stat o' the week

eball

...as in, the difference in TOP between the Bills and Chargers. This is the equivalent of 2-3 extra drives, my fellow Bills' fans. The ability of this offense, under the tutelage of Schonert and execution of Edwards, to move the chains and eat up clock is so friggin' huge. Once again Schonert called a balanced game (32 runs, 30 passes), and Edwards distributed the ball to 8 different receivers.

This Buffalo defense is still, in my opinion, a work in progress. They're better than average, but they're not great and they can't really dictate to an offense. The benefit gained from relieving them of the responsibility of defending an extra 2 or 3 drives per ball game can't be emphasized enough.

...as in, the difference in TOP between the Bills and Chargers. This is the equivalent of 2-3 extra drives, my fellow Bills' fans. The ability of this offense, under the tutelage of Schonert and execution of Edwards, to move the chains and eat up clock is so friggin' huge. Once again Schonert called a balanced game (32 runs, 30 passes), and Edwards distributed the ball to 8 different receivers.

This Buffalo defense is still, in my opinion, a work in progress. They're better than average, but they're not great and they can't really dictate to an offense. The benefit gained from relieving them of the responsibility of defending an extra 2 or 3 drives per ball game can't be emphasized enough.

Right on. Two touchdown drives last week are two touchdown drives Arizona doesn't score. Much closer game with a time-possession offense.

Actually, I'd contend that the diff is only 5:29. There's 60 min in a game; if we lose 5:29, it goes to them & then TOP is equal. Certainly having your QB complete > 80% of his passes, most of them not of the Pennington variety (& no sacks) helps tremendously.

Actually, I'd contend that the diff is only 5:29. There's 60 min in a game; if we lose 5:29, it goes to them & then TOP is equal. Certainly having your QB complete > 80% of his passes, most of them not of the Pennington variety (& no sacks) helps tremendously.

Huh?

I was in a bar in Newport Beach with a co-worker who's a big Charger's fan. I sat there from probably the seven minute mark forward whispering in his ear "tick, tick, tick, tick." Drove him crazy. There were four Charger fans at the bar. I left to go to the bathroom at the two minute warning. I came back and they were gone. Left their full drinks on the bar. I loved it!

Obviously the time of possession advantage was huge, as was Trent's ability to masterfully execute the passing game. But you've brought up something that bugs me. When the offensive line pass protects, as it did against San Diego, the Bills are very good at passing the ball. But they haven't been good at running the ball, mostly because the run blocking hasn't been there either this season or last. So why should the Bills use more than half their plays on doing something they're very bad at, while using less than half on something they're good at?

I went through the play by play, and I counted 19 running plays on first down and only 9 passing plays. That's a little more predictable/Fairchild-like than I'd like to see. There were two cases of run-run-pass. The first resulted in a 3rd and 6, the second resulted in 3rd and 7. Fortunately for Schonert, Trent bailed the offense out of both of those situations, but I don't see why it was necessary to have created them in the first place.

When we played the Cardinals, their passing game was working a lot better than their running game. They responded by calling a lot more passing plays than running plays. That worked out okay for them. If we have a Cardinals-like passing game--which we do, at least when the line pass protects--why dilute its effectiveness by squandering so many downs on running plays?