Your the GM...What 12 Players on the team are not resigned or cut next

All great teams have depth.

The Giants' depth was so good on defense last year that the team countered the retirement of Strahan and the loss of Osi, an up-and-coming defensive star. This team still remains a top 5 team in the league even after trading Jeremy Shockey and the loss of Plaxico Burress for a game due to suspension. It is all about depth.

The same can be said for all good teams in all sports. The Jordan-led Chicago Bulls come to mind. So do the early 2000 Lakers teams. The same could be said for any dominating franchise, including the great Bills era between 1989-1994.

Buffalo will make the playoffs this year barring significant injury, but the team still has depth issues that need to be overcome if a championship is a possibility in the next 3-5 years. Obviously, free agency and the draft is the best way to build depth, so what positions need more depth on the Bills roster?

In my opinion, Buffalo has 12 dispensable players on their active roster of 53 players. I do think the organization will keep or resign some of these players, but replacing these 12 players with better talent and/or youth in the draft and free agency will launch Buffalo into the upper echelon of the AFC. Here is my ranking of the 12 most dispensable players on the current roster:

Note: Rankings go from 12-1. 12 is the first guy to go and 1 would be my last guy to let go. Lastly, I know it is cruel to say these are the 12 most dispensable players. After all, they are in the NFL and have more talent than you or me. Still, any good organization (football or whatever business) needs to keep stockpiling depth.

12. Corey McIntyre (FB) Buffalo doesn't use or need a fullback. And, if the Club wants one...draft one in round 6-7

11. Copeland Bryan (DE) He is just warming a spot for Ellis. Nice hustle...but a fringe player

10. Jason Whittle (OG) Blue-collar worker...he's either injured or not in game. also near end of career

9. Ryan Neill (LS/DE) One roster spot for a long snapper? Preston is the backup...teach him & Neill doesn't play DE

8. Justin Jenkins (WR) Admire his effort and ST play but he won't move into the top 4 in the next 2-3 years

7. Jon Corto (LB/S) Effort guy but he is our #6 LB and probably our #6 safety. A 2009 OLB in round 1-3 will replace him

6. John Wendling (SS) Special teamers dream but how often does the 3rd string SS get in the game. Him or Scott will go

5. Duke Preston (OG/OC) If you can't beat out Fowler, you must be bad. But, he does have long snapping capabilities

4. Melvin Fowler (OC) You can't let Fowler and Preston go, so keep one. Draft Mack or Luigs in round 1-2..future starter

3. John McCargo (DT) Yes...he is a 1st round bust...but he's 26. Just keep in perspective he is 3-5 DT on your team.

2. Derek Schouman (TE) I like Derek. It's just Royal, Schouman and Fine are not true starters. Bills need to find one

1. Ryan Denney (DE) A career backup player. I let Bryan and Neill go first but Denney is not a long-term help

So, with these thoughts...What should Buffalo look for this offseason and in free agency?

1. A veteran backup quarterback (think: Ferrotte, Warner, Garcia, etc.)

2. Offensive Lineman (Select Mack or Luigs at OC, resign Fowler or Preston to be a backup, find a veteran backup OG)

3. Defensive End (Draft DE in Round 1-2, let Bryan and Neill go (Preston can long-snap), Ellis more playing time)

4. OLB (Draft an OLB round 1-3, this will push Corto out and give the Bills Bowen, Ellison, and Digorgio as backups)

5. TE (Draft a TE to pressure Schouman and Fine...competition brings out depth)

6. WR (Find a true #2 wide receiver. If necessary trade a 1st round draft pick to get one)

7. Depth-Depth-Depth

I welcome other thoughts...you are a GM, what realistic strategy do you take to take a potential 9-7/10-6 Buffalo team and help them move to the 11-13 win team via free agency and the 2009 draft?

--Nightcrawler

The Giants' depth was so good on defense last year that the team countered the retirement of Strahan and the loss of Osi, an up-and-coming defensive star. This team still remains a top 5 team in the league even after trading Jeremy Shockey and the loss of Plaxico Burress for a game due to suspension. It is all about depth.

The same can be said for all good teams in all sports. The Jordan-led Chicago Bulls come to mind. So do the early 2000 Lakers teams. The same could be said for any dominating franchise, including the great Bills era between 1989-1994.

Buffalo will make the playoffs this year barring significant injury, but the team still has depth issues that need to be overcome if a championship is a possibility in the next 3-5 years. Obviously, free agency and the draft is the best way to build depth, so what positions need more depth on the Bills roster?

In my opinion, Buffalo has 12 dispensable players on their active roster of 53 players. I do think the organization will keep or resign some of these players, but replacing these 12 players with better talent and/or youth in the draft and free agency will launch Buffalo into the upper echelon of the AFC. Here is my ranking of the 12 most dispensable players on the current roster:

Appreciate the effort, but a self colonoscopy is ill advised.

Note: Rankings go from 12-1. 12 is the first guy to go and 1 would be my last guy to let go. Lastly, I know it is cruel to say these are the 12 most dispensable players. After all, they are in the NFL and have more talent than you or me. Still, any good organization (football or whatever business) needs to keep stockpiling depth.

12. Corey McIntyre (FB) Buffalo doesn't use or need a fullback. And, if the Club wants one...draft one in round 6-7

11. Copeland Bryan (DE) He is just warming a spot for Ellis. Nice hustle...but a fringe player

10. Jason Whittle (OG) Blue-collar worker...he's either injured or not in game. also near end of career

9. Ryan Neill (LS/DE) One roster spot for a long snapper? Preston is the backup...teach him & Neill doesn't play DE

8. Justin Jenkins (WR) Admire his effort and ST play but he won't move into the top 4 in the next 2-3 years

7. Jon Corto (LB/S) Effort guy but he is our #6 LB and probably our #6 safety. A 2009 OLB in round 1-3 will replace him

6. John Wendling (SS) Special teamers dream but how often does the 3rd string SS get in the game. Him or Scott will go

5. Duke Preston (OG/OC) If you can't beat out Fowler, you must be bad. But, he does have long snapping capabilities

4. Melvin Fowler (OC) You can't let Fowler and Preston go, so keep one. Draft Mack or Luigs in round 1-2..future starter

3. John McCargo (DT) Yes...he is a 1st round bust...but he's 26. Just keep in perspective he is 3-5 DT on your team.

2. Derek Schouman (TE) I like Derek. It's just Royal, Schouman and Fine are not true starters. Bills need to find one

1. Ryan Denney (DE) A career backup player. I let Bryan and Neill go first but Denney is not a long-term help

So, with these thoughts...What should Buffalo look for this offseason and in free agency?

2. Offensive Lineman (Select Mack or Luigs at OC, resign Fowler or Preston to be a backup, find a veteran backup OG)

3. Defensive End (Draft DE in Round 1-2, let Bryan and Neill go (Preston can long-snap), Ellis more playing time)

4. OLB (Draft an OLB round 1-3, this will push Corto out and give the Bills Bowen, Ellison, and Digorgio as backups)

6. WR (Find a true #2 wide receiver. If necessary trade a 1st round draft pick to get one)

7. Depth-Depth-Depth

I welcome other thoughts...you are a GM, what realistic strategy do you take to take a potential 9-7/10-6 Buffalo team and help them move to the 11-13 win team via free agency and the 2009 draft?

--Nightcrawler

I think Corto is undersized but he has shown the coaches some stuff or he wouldn't have made the team.

Plus I love the hometown boy made good angle, I also think he is an animal on STs (think Coy Wire) and we need to have some players like that even if they do take up roster space.

BTW thats why I'm not the GM hahaha

7. Depth-Depth-Depth

--Nightcrawler

Yours was an intelligent and well thought-out post. I agree with what you wrote, except with one apparent philosophical difference: I don't mind giving a few guys roster spots strictly because of special teams play. Take the Cardinals game, for example. I went back and counted the plays. Here's the breakdown of the number of plays each unit received:

Defense: on the field for 77 plays

Offense: on the field for 51 plays

Extra point attempts: 7 plays

Special teams other than extra point attempts: 18 plays

Extra points are pretty much automatic for both teams, so let's ignore those. But those other 18 plays represented punts, kickoffs and FG attempts, all of which are very important in determining the outcome of the game. Between the two of them, the offense and defense averaged 64 plays over the course of the game. The special teams unit's 18 plays (excluding extra point attempts) represent 28% of that. If that one game is representative of how much the special teams unit sees the field in general, one could argue that your special teams unit is 28% as important as your offense or your defense. The actual percentage is probably higher, because so many special teams plays are of a boom or bust nature. You either make that 47 yard FG attempt, or you watch it sail wide to the right. You either tackle the other team's return guy, or you watch him run down the sidelines in the last 16 seconds of play to give his team the so-called "Music City Miracle." While most special teams plays aren't as dramatic or game-changing as those two, a typical special teams play probably makes more of a difference than a typical offensive or defensive play. A good special teams unit can nonetheless be a significant advantage.

Toward that end, I think the Bills should retain Neil as well as other players who make solid contributions to the special teams effort. Above all, it's critical to retain our best special teams tacklers so as to prevent other teams' return units from exposing our coverage unit. Good blocking for our own coverage unit is also important so that we can take advantage of the talent of guys like McGee, Parrish, and McKelvin.

With that out of the way, I'll go through your list.

Veteran backup quarterback: I'm not sure if you labeled that 1) because you felt it was our most important need, or whether you assigned numbers at random. If the former, I'd disagree with you: our team has bigger needs than backup QB. But Losman will be gone after this season, and we clearly need to add a QB either via free agency or the draft.

Offensive lineman: I agree with you that we should draft a center with our first round pick. This is clearly our biggest weakness among our starters, and Fowler will be a free agent after the year is over anyway. The Bills should firmly resist the temptation to use that pick on a CB, FS, or even a LB.

Defensive end: I agree that a good defensive end would be a significant addition to our rotation. If there's a guy whom they've graded highly who's available with their second round pick, they should take him. But they shouldn't take a DE just to add another body. Doing that won't necessarily get them a significant upgrade over Denny. Better to use that second round pick on an OL position such as OG.

Outside LB: the Bills can't realistically expect a significant upgrade to Crowell unless they use a first or early second round pick on the position. Unfortunately for the Bills, those early picks are desperately needed elsewhere. The Bills would be better served using their first two picks on the lines, as mentioned above, and re-signing Crowell.

Tight end: I agree that this is a significant position of need, and I wouldn't be opposed to addressing it with our 2nd or 3rd round pick. But I'm not in love with the idea, and there's a chance we wouldn't bring in a guy who's much of an upgrade over the guys we have already. We may not be able to fill all our holes in just one off-season. Assuming the lines get addressed in the 2009 draft, I wouldn't be opposed to using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a TE in 2010.

WR: I disagree about the idea of trading away a first round pick for a veteran WR. I think that either Hardy or Steve Johnson can evolve into a possession type WR. We should use our first round picks on positions where we know there's a need, such as C.

Depth: I completely agree with what you've written about the importance of depth. This is especially true for rotational type positions such as defensive linemen.

Yours was an intelligent and well thought-out post. I agree with what you wrote, except with one apparent philosophical difference: I don't mind giving a few guys roster spots strictly because of special teams play. Take the Cardinals game, for example. I went back and counted the plays. Here's the breakdown of the number of plays each unit received:

Defense: on the field for 77 plays

Offense: on the field for 51 plays

Extra point attempts: 7 plays

Special teams other than extra point attempts: 18 plays

Extra points are pretty much automatic for both teams, so let's ignore those. But those other 18 plays represented punts, kickoffs and FG attempts, all of which are very important in determining the outcome of the game. Between the two of them, the offense and defense averaged 64 plays over the course of the game. The special teams unit's 18 plays (excluding extra point attempts) represent 28% of that. If that one game is representative of how much the special teams unit sees the field in general, one could argue that your special teams unit is 28% as important as your offense or your defense. The actual percentage is probably higher, because so many special teams plays are of a boom or bust nature. You either make that 47 yard FG attempt, or you watch it sail wide to the right. You either tackle the other team's return guy, or you watch him run down the sidelines in the last 16 seconds of play to give his team the so-called "Music City Miracle." While most special teams plays aren't as dramatic or game-changing as those two, a typical special teams play probably makes more of a difference than a typical offensive or defensive play. A good special teams unit can nonetheless be a significant advantage.

Toward that end, I think the Bills should retain Neil as well as other players who make solid contributions to the special teams effort. Above all, it's critical to retain our best special teams tacklers so as to prevent other teams' return units from exposing our coverage unit. Good blocking for our own coverage unit is also important so that we can take advantage of the talent of guys like McGee, Parrish, and McKelvin.

With that out of the way, I'll go through your list.

Veteran backup quarterback: I'm not sure if you labeled that 1) because you felt it was our most important need, or whether you assigned numbers at random. If the former, I'd disagree with you: our team has bigger needs than backup QB. But Losman will be gone after this season, and we clearly need to add a QB either via free agency or the draft.

Offensive lineman: I agree with you that we should draft a center with our first round pick. This is clearly our biggest weakness among our starters, and Fowler will be a free agent after the year is over anyway. The Bills should firmly resist the temptation to use that pick on a CB, FS, or even a LB.

Defensive end: I agree that a good defensive end would be a significant addition to our rotation. If there's a guy whom they've graded highly who's available with their second round pick, they should take him. But they shouldn't take a DE just to add another body. Doing that won't necessarily get them a significant upgrade over Denny. Better to use that second round pick on an OL position such as OG.

Outside LB: the Bills can't realistically expect a significant upgrade to Crowell unless they use a first or early second round pick on the position. Unfortunately for the Bills, those early picks are desperately needed elsewhere. The Bills would be better served using their first two picks on the lines, as mentioned above, and re-signing Crowell.

Tight end: I agree that this is a significant position of need, and I wouldn't be opposed to addressing it with our 2nd or 3rd round pick. But I'm not in love with the idea, and there's a chance we wouldn't bring in a guy who's much of an upgrade over the guys we have already. We may not be able to fill all our holes in just one off-season. Assuming the lines get addressed in the 2009 draft, I wouldn't be opposed to using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a TE in 2010.

WR: I disagree about the idea of trading away a first round pick for a veteran WR. I think that either Hardy or Steve Johnson can evolve into a possession type WR. We should use our first round picks on positions where we know there's a need, such as C.

Depth: I completely agree with what you've written about the importance of depth. This is especially true for rotational type positions such as defensive linemen.

Excellent thoughts! I always appreciate well-thought opinions. Totally agree. I'm probably undervaluing special teams, which is our best of the Bills three units. Totally agree as well that offensive and defensive line should be our first two priorities in the draft. I'd like to see Buffalo resign Crowell, but I think he wrote himself off of the team with his unusual "end of season" injury a few days before the first game.

Regarding the quarterback situation, I only listed it first as I think most consider it the most important position on a team, but you are right, it is not Buffalo's number 1 priority whether through free agency or the draft. I still think Buffalo needs to get a backup quarterback through free agency. A late round draft pick or Gibran Hamdan is not really going to step-in and lead Buffalo toward an AFC East crown or make a playoff push should Edwards go down.

Again, great thoughts. Thanks!

Excellent thoughts! I always appreciate well-thought opinions. Totally agree. I'm probably undervaluing special teams, which is our best of the Bills three units. Totally agree as well that offensive and defensive line should be our first two priorities in the draft. I'd like to see Buffalo resign Crowell, but I think he wrote himself off of the team with his unusual "end of season" injury a few days before the first game.

Regarding the quarterback situation, I only listed it first as I think most consider it the most important position on a team, but you are right, it is not Buffalo's number 1 priority whether through free agency or the draft. I still think Buffalo needs to get a backup quarterback through free agency. A late round draft pick or Gibran Hamdan is not really going to step-in and lead Buffalo toward an AFC East crown or make a playoff push should Edwards go down.

Again, great thoughts. Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words and the quick response. It looks like we're more or less on the same page about just about everything except Crowell. I think that you're probably right about what will happen with respect to this player: it will be decided that he abandoned the team, and that he should be gotten rid of. The problem with that is that the Bills will replace him either with a first round pick or by using their 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up and take an OLB they like.

Personally, I'd rather have Crowell at OLB plus upgrades at C and G, as opposed to a new OLB and just one upgrade on the line. Crowell has been a solid member of the team up until this injury thing. And in his defense, he may have felt that a) playing on that injured foot might have seriously jeopardized his long-term career, or b) that with the foot injury, he might not have been much more useful to the team than a healthy Ellison.

I freely admit that part of the reason I'm giving Crowell the benefit of the doubt on this is because I'm tired of watching the Bills neglect the offensive line on draft day, only to field a line that either can't pass protect or can't run block. This year's line can't do either, except in the fourth quarter. If Ellison's contract demands are moderate, then I feel that re-signing him represents a calculated risk: a calculated risk justified by the fact it would free up draft day resources for use elsewhere.

mcintyre - stays, but if he doesn't they'll bring in another FB

bryan - goes, i'd cut him today and i don't understand how he still sees the field over ellis

whittle - stays, preston and fowler are likely gone, so whittle should be retained for continuity

neill - stays, does his job just fine

jenkins - stays, ST contributions are important

corto - stays, ST contributions are even more important, but he will be competing with bowen for a roster spot next year

wendling - stays, like you said, ST dream

preston - goes, will leave in FA, creating a need for C/OG backup

fowler - goes, good as gone

mccargo - goes, likely cut in the off-season, which is a shame

schouman - goes, royal and fine are locks, so schouman is the odd man out as the position needs to be addressed

denney - stays, important in the locker room

so of your 12, i agree with 5 of them.......this creates needs for the following roles:

DE#5

top backup at OC/OG

starting OC

DT#4

TE#1

other guys who will go:

jp - bridge has been burned

greer - UFA will generate good interest and the bills won't make a big effort to resign him

chambers - UFA would be welcomed back, but probably will get a chance to compete for a job elsewhere

costanzo - need to add some competition for ellison and digiorgio/corto are more important

so to the above needs we add:

backup QB

#5 CB (assuming mckelvin, youboty, and corner all get bumped up a spot)

top backup at OT

backup OLB

i would address them as follows:

starting OC - free agency - if jason brown is available, the bills need to pull out all the stops and make him their #1 FA target. next alternative would be matt birk. someone would need to be signed regardless to mask the need heading into the draft.

backup QB - free agency - i like jeff garcia, but there should be lots of options as always.

top backup at OT - free agency - not easy to find, but hopefully chambers can be resigned or a similar option can be found

backup OLB - free agency - LB's are usually fairly cheap on the free agent market, and a vet should be targeted to compete with ellison

TE#1 - 1st rounder - it is time to finally address this big need on the bills. receiving option puts royal in his rightful role as the blocking TE (and a very good one at that)

top backup at OC/OG - 2nd rounder - even if a legit starting OC is found in free agency i would still address the depth issues in the OL early

DT#4 - 3rd rounder - need a rotational player who offers insurance if one of the top 3 go down.

DE#5 - 4th rounder - depth player, would likely not dress unless injury occurs

#5 CB - 5th rounder - depth player, would likely not dress unless injury occurs

bills are in good shape (only need to replace one starter) and won't have to spend a lot in free agency to set themselves up for a nice draft

TE#1 - 1st rounder - it is time to finally address this big need on the bills. receiving option puts royal in his rightful role as the blocking TE (and a very good one at that)

I agree on the strong need for a real TE in the draft. The free agents they brought in were a joke and Schouman and Fine have upside but they are both smaller, more of the H-Back style. I do not agree on spending a #1 pick on one though as the track record is likely worse than finding WR's that make an impact. The Bills would have had many choices in the 2nd round into the early third last year. This year the first two are working out well though so maybe that proves me wrong.

Here's this years results so far with their draft positions:

Dustin Keller TE PURDUE 1st 30(30) New York 6-84-2TD

John Carlson TE NOTRE DAME 2nd 7(38) Seattle 16-190-1TD

Fred Davis TE USC 2nd 17(48) Washington 1 catch-6 yards

Martellus Bennett TE TEXAS A&M 2nd 30(61) Dallas 3-57

Brad Cottam TE TENNESSEE 3rd 13(76) Kansas City NO CATCHES

Craig Stevens TE CALIFORNIA 3rd 22(85) Tennessee NO CATCHES

Jermichael Finley TE TEXAS 3rd 28(91) Green Bay NO CATCHES

Martin Rucker TE MISSOURI 4th 12(111) Cleveland NO CATCHES

Jacob Tamme TE KENTUCKY 4th 28(127) Indianapolis 1 catch-6 yards

Derek Fine TE KANSAS 4th 33(132) Buffalo NO CATCHES

Gary Barnidge TE LOUISVILLE 5th 6(141) Carolina NO CATCHES

Kellen Davis TE MICHIGAN STATE 5th 23(158) Chicago NO CATCHES

mcintyre - stays, but if he doesn't they'll bring in another FB

bryan - goes, i'd cut him today and i don't understand how he still sees the field over ellis

whittle - stays, preston and fowler are likely gone, so whittle should be retained for continuity

neill - stays, does his job just fine

jenkins - stays, ST contributions are important

corto - stays, ST contributions are even more important, but he will be competing with bowen for a roster spot next year

wendling - stays, like you said, ST dream

preston - goes, will leave in FA, creating a need for C/OG backup

fowler - goes, good as gone

mccargo - goes, likely cut in the off-season, which is a shame

schouman - goes, royal and fine are locks, so schouman is the odd man out as the position needs to be addressed

denney - stays, important in the locker room

so of your 12, i agree with 5 of them.......this creates needs for the following roles:

DE#5

top backup at OC/OG

starting OC

DT#4

TE#1

other guys who will go:

jp - bridge has been burned

greer - UFA will generate good interest and the bills won't make a big effort to resign him

chambers - UFA would be welcomed back, but probably will get a chance to compete for a job elsewhere

costanzo - need to add some competition for ellison and digiorgio/corto are more important

so to the above needs we add:

backup QB

#5 CB (assuming mckelvin, youboty, and corner all get bumped up a spot)

top backup at OT

backup OLB

i would address them as follows:

starting OC - free agency - if jason brown is available, the bills need to pull out all the stops and make him their #1 FA target. next alternative would be matt birk. someone would need to be signed regardless to mask the need heading into the draft.

backup QB - free agency - i like jeff garcia, but there should be lots of options as always.

top backup at OT - free agency - not easy to find, but hopefully chambers can be resigned or a similar option can be found

backup OLB - free agency - LB's are usually fairly cheap on the free agent market, and a vet should be targeted to compete with ellison

top backup at OC/OG - 2nd rounder - even if a legit starting OC is found in free agency i would still address the depth issues in the OL early

DT#4 - 3rd rounder - need a rotational player who offers insurance if one of the top 3 go down.

DE#5 - 4th rounder - depth player, would likely not dress unless injury occurs

#5 CB - 5th rounder - depth player, would likely not dress unless injury occurs

bills are in good shape (only need to replace one starter) and won't have to spend a lot in free agency to set themselves up for a nice draft

I like your ideas and this thread. A still a little too early in the season to do this though.

I would not put a need for a TE as the #1 priority. For some reason rookies TE's seem tough to project. Also Shouman was out last year due to injury and Fine was out at the beginning of this year for the same reason. We should give them some time to improve. But i would bring in some form of competition.

I really think we need to improve our pass rush. i would look to daft a DE or DT that could add speed and power. A dominating DE changes the defensive game.

All these ideas depend what is available in the draft or free agency though.

Does anyone predict we would make a huge splash as far as trades or veteran free agents?

7. Depth-Depth-Depth

--Nightcrawler

I'm sure you put a lot of time into this post. I think one of the differences with those teams that you mentioned in the early 90's, Buffalo's team's, the Chicgao Bulls, etc. was that they had a few superstars who could actually carry the team if the situation called for it. Depth is important no doubt, but unless you have some superstars who have proved it and can carry a team in tight games, I am not convinced that it matters too much.

I'm sure you put a lot of time into this post. I think one of the differences with those teams that you mentioned in the early 90's, Buffalo's team's, the Chicgao Bulls, etc. was that they had a few superstars who could actually carry the team if the situation called for it. Depth is important no doubt, but unless you have some superstars who have proved it and can carry a team in tight games, I am not convinced that it matters too much.

For this reason, I wonder how much longer Schobel is going to stay around. He's making a ton of money and is not exactly a game changer. Although, we really don't have anybody to replace him. We need QB pressure. We haven't had anybody that could single-handedly change the face of a game on defense since Bruce. Kelsay is also making too much money, but we also have no one decent to replace him either.

For this reason, I wonder how much longer Schobel is going to stay around. He's making a ton of money and is not exactly a game changer. Although, we really don't have anybody to replace him. We need QB pressure. We haven't had anybody that could single-handedly change the face of a game on defense since Bruce. Kelsay is also making too much money, but we also have no one decent to replace him either.

I absolutely agree. If the Bills landed a capable DE or two somewhere in the draft over these passed i could honestly see Kelsay or Schobel gone. Possibly even both of them. All o the best defenses have at least one great pass rusher. We need that guy who is going to put the team on his back if need be.

We are pretty good in our depth right now. It is starters that we need to upgrade.

We need upgrades at TE, C, RG, OLB. Since you can't find all four in a draft, you have to sign a FA at one or more of these positions. Maybe Gonzalez will be willing to come here next year; if not, we need some kind of big FA signing, so we can then concentrate on drafting the others positions in rounds one to three.

In addition, of course, we also need that FA QB you talk about.