Reggie Corner vs Leodis Mckelvin

Didnt they say Reggie Corner outplayed Mckelvin during preseason? How come they dont give him a shot? Although it does look like he will get some playing time this week with Mcgee out and Youboty a gametime decision

One possibility is that with McKelvin you get a CB and returner out of 1 active player, thereby freeing up another active roster spot to spend at another position. Just a thought.

According to Bills Daily, McGee has been ruled OUT for Sunday. The Bills are awfully injured for the week following the Bye.

Expect Whitner to continue to prove why he is so valuable by playing a lot of defacto corner.

According to Bills Daily, McGee has been ruled OUT for Sunday. The Bills are awfully injured for the week following the Bye.

Expect Whitner to continue to prove why he is so valuable by playing a lot of defacto corner.

That's incredible wishful thinking. Whitner has no pass deflections or INTs. I hope this doesn't happen because he will give up a lot of yards over a guy like Corner. Whitner is very good against the run, but he below average in pass coverage.

That's incredible wishful thinking. Whitner has no pass deflections or INTs. I hope this doesn't happen because he will give up a lot of yards over a guy like Corner. Whitner is very good against the run, but he below average in pass coverage.

Whitner is a very decent cover safety and has played nickel corner for the Bills in the past. Because of injury issues to other players on D the past two years, Whitner has been filling different roles...playing wherever he was needed. Because of that, he doesn't have the opportunities to make the ESPN highlight plays some other safeties make, and it may have also stunted his growth, slightly, in any one particular area. However, he has never complained, and played at a fairly high level, at whatever he has been asked to do. For the record, Whitner is on the field for almost every defensive snap. That should tell you something.

Regarding this week:

Fortunately for defensive coordinator Perry Fewell he has one of the most versatile safeties in the league in Donte Whitner. Whitner has already worn a few hats this season playing in the slot in nickel packages in addition to his safety duties, which include both strong and free safety responsibilities.

“I enjoy it,” said Whitner. “I play some corner and strong and free safety. I’ll pretty much be playing every position in the secondary this weekend. So it’ll be fun. We’ll see what happens.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1...84-e80398a4043c

With respect to Whitner's responsibilities last year:

Entering his third season, Whitner is already established as one of the top strong safeties in the NFL. He has been consistently productive, topping 100 tackles in each of his first two years...

...The Bills wanted to turn Whitner into an all-purpose defensive threat last season. Fewell wanted to put Whitner in situations where he and free safety Ko Simpson would be interchangeable.

But those plans changed when Simpson was lost for the season with a broken ankle in the opener. Injuries also diminished depth at cornerback, linebacker and on the defensive line.

Because of the Bills’ struggles in stopping the run, Whitner had to play a lot at the line of scrimmage like an extra linebacker. He even lined up as the nickel cornerback on some passing downs.

“Because of all the injuries, we just didn’t have the pieces in place to do the things we wanted to do,” Whitner said. “I played in the box maybe more than I would have if we had all our guys on defense.

“I started at nickel back last year. There are not too many strong safeties you can put at nickel back. We were very limited in what we could do because we didn’t have the bodies.”

I have zero confidence in McKelvin's skills at corner right now

I would say that about Corner, as he has played very little, this year. McKelvin has shown some progress, this year...but he has a long way to go.

Didnt they say Reggie Corner outplayed Mckelvin during preseason? How come they dont give him a shot? Although it does look like he will get some playing time this week with Mcgee out and Youboty a gametime decision

This is my take. I could be wrong but here it is. Let's say that Leodis and Reggie are about on an equal level right now playing corner. There seems to be a chance that Youboty might not play. Maybe Reggie Corner is a better nickel player than Leodis? What do you guys think?

Just a thought...but I think other people that have posted have got it right. McKelvin is probably not yet a better CB than Corner, but he is more versatile with his PR and KR abilities. Additionally, it sounds an overused phrase, but the coaching staff probably believes McKelvin has "more upside." And, if you are going to spend millions of dollars on a 1st round pick, here is Buffalo's chance to find out quickly if McKelvin can turn into a 1st round pro. Keep in mind that Buffalo is probably a little wary of young defensive first round picks. The failed McCargo deal/experiment is probably another reason why Buffalo is so insistent on playing McKelvin to prove to ownership and fans that Buffalo made the right choice.

--Nightcrawler

Whitner is a very decent cover safety and has played nickel corner for the Bills in the past. Because of injury issues to other players on D the past two years, Whitner has been filling different roles...playing wherever he was needed. Because of that, he doesn't have the opportunities to make the ESPN highlight plays some other safeties make, and it may have also stunted his growth, slightly, in any one particular area. However, he has never complained, and played at a fairly high level, at whatever he has been asked to do. For the record, Whitner is on the field for almost every defensive snap. That should tell you something.

Regarding this week:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1...84-e80398a4043c

With respect to Whitner's responsibilities last year:

There you go again Dean, with your counter arguments quoting named sources backed up by factual information.

OhSweetJesus! Don't you ever learn?

He's hasn't been on SportsCenter's top 10 plays of the day EVER!!!

His Madden number are sickly.

He said The Bills are going to the Playoffs – "The Playoffs! – THE PLAYOFFS??!!!"

Whadda you - on wine?

He's clearly a bust - or the first cousin of a bust.

We're clearly BillsFanOne if they even think about playing him at Corner.

There you go again Dean, with your counter arguments quoting named sources backed up by factual information.

OhSweetJesus! Don't you ever learn?

He's hasn't been on SportsCenter's top 10 plays of the day EVER!!!

His Madden number are sickly.

He said The Bills are going to the Playoffs – "The Playoffs! – THE PLAYOFFS??!!!"

Whadda you - on wine?

He's clearly a bust - or the first cousin of a bust.

We're clearly BillsFanOne if they even think about playing him at Corner.

Guilty.

Sorry man, my bad.

Sorry, but if you consider the official website to be a credible source of information then there is no use. I'm not asking Whitner for any ESPN highlights, but I am asking anyone to show me that he's credible in the secondary against receiving threats.

I consider the official website the MOST credible website when it comes to what positions/assignments a player has played on this team. Do you have a better source (or ANY source, other than you) that suggests that Whitner hasn't played nickel corner for the Bills, in the past?

Sorry, but if you consider the official website to be a credible source of information then there is no use. I'm not asking Whitner for any ESPN highlights, but I am asking anyone to show me that he's credible in the secondary against receiving threats.

Watch the 2nd half of the Redskins game last year.....

They move him from saftey to nickel and he completely shuts down Cooley in the 2nd half....

Would you mind telling us exactly which website he SHOULD be using?

progress, really? I havent seen any

I'm not sure what to tell you, then. "Watch more closely", maybe?

I'm not suggesting he is a star CG, by any means, but he acquitted himself fairly well in the St Louis game with decent coverage (and forced a fumble, I think). Against Arizona, he struggled, as did the most of the defense, but he didn't stick out like a sore thumb, nor did he get torched for any huge plays, that I recall (perhaps my memory is fuzzy on that, though).

Corner, looked fairly good, for a rookie, in preseason. Of course, that was mostly against 2nd and 3rd stringers, and the like. This season, he has played in exactly ONE game, the debacle in Arizona.

So, I think the idea that Corner is ahead of Leodis, right now, is somewhat spurious. And, when compared to his early preseason performances, I think McKelvin has made some progress at CB.

Do you see something else? I'd love to hear your evaluation.