Wall St. Journal Article Claims Bills Fans are Some of the Worst Behav

yall

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122393578191630373.html

Mark Yost penned an article about how the Eagles are combating rowdy fans. One of the methods mentioned was a text message system, similar to the rowdy-fan hotline in place at the Ralph. Of course Yost takes the opportunity to slam the Bills a bit, by making it not only appear that the Bills have no such system in place (they do - the hotline), but by making the claim that Bills fans are "some of the worst-behaving fans in all of sports."

I would like to know by what metric we are being judged that makes us the worst. Does he simply have the opinion that we are amongst the worst? Is he basing this on arrest reports, surveys, NFL statistics? It reeks of poor research, also evidenced by the fact that he got some dates wrong too.

Don't get me wrong, I do think we are a rowdy bunch, but if a national publication going to assert that we are among the worst when it comes to behavior, I think t should be backed up by facts.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the exception of Eagles fans, I would agree with the statement. I certainly wouldn't be bringing my son to the ralph for a game until he's old enough to understand the language and behavior that goes on there.

I will say that Bills fans in general whine and over-react more than just about any other fan base. Just sample the daily retard rollercoaster on TSW after one loss to verify that factoid...

How many other NFL stadiums have you been to?

I've been to a dozen, including Philly last year. I took a lot of abuse tailgating in my Bills jersey and walking around outside the stadium, but once inside, practically nothing. It doesn't hurt that the place is crawling with security. I also went to Foxboro, which has a bad rep, and not much there either.

I would say the Ralph is the worst because the fans drink the most. Maybe it's a side effect of having the best tailgating, but it needs to be controlled.

Best fans were definitely Pittsburgh and Green Bay.

Its funny though, when you get a real football fan, even from another team to come and experience a game at the Ralph, my experience is that they almost always have a great time. Not a completely family-friendly environment, but if you want to make it that way, sit in the family section and don't tailgate.

To a pencil-pushing, know it all Jets fan from NYC, I'm sure we are "bad fans", but what's his idea of good football fans? Jacksonville's retired librarian crowd?

I've been to several other NFL stadiums and the fan behavior towards opposing fans is nowhere near the level of RWS. In addition, nowhere did I see the numbers of "out of their mind" drunks that is seen at RWS. From what I have seen and read, I think the "atmosphere ranking" in terms of treatment of opposing fans seems fair.

PS That being said, I have not been to Philly or some of the other notorious venues for opposing fans to enter.

Oops...wrong thread. I meant to post this in the thread with the SI poll..

I've been to a dozen, including Philly last year. I took a lot of abuse tailgating in my Bills jersey and walking around outside the stadium, but once inside, practically nothing. It doesn't hurt that the place is crawling with security. I also went to Foxboro, which has a bad rep, and not much there either.

I would say the Ralph is the worst because the fans drink the most. Maybe it's a side effect of having the best tailgating, but it needs to be controlled.

Best fans were definitely Pittsburgh and Green Bay.

It's definitely a perspective thing: I spoke with Raiders fans at the last game that couldn't believe how well they were treated.

I guess I was just looking for some empirical data to support his notion that Bills fans were "some of th worst". What does that even mean? Vulgar? Violent?

Of course Yost takes the opportunity to slam the Bills a bit, by making it not only appear that the Bills have no such system in place (they do - the hotline), but by making the claim that Bills fans are "some of the worst-behaving fans in all of sports."

I would assume great tailgating = very drunk people = disorderly conduct in the stadium = worst-behaving fans.

A blue-collar town is great, but you have to take the good with the bad. And a lot of people in the Ralph on game day are drunk slobs with a penchant for stirring things up.

I would assume great tailgating = very drunk people = disorderly conduct in the stadium = worst-behaving fans.

A blue-collar town is great, but you have to take the good with the bad. And a lot of people in the Ralph on game day are drunk slobs with a penchant for stirring things up.

Well said.

With the exception of Eagles fans, I would agree with the statement. I certainly wouldn't be bringing my son to the ralph for a game until he's old enough to understand the language and behavior that goes on there.

I will say that Bills fans in general whine and over-react more than just about any other fan base. Just sample the daily retard rollercoaster on TSW after one loss to verify that factoid...

I take my son to Kids day. They have it during preseason, its a good time. Usually the loud mouth drunks are limited. Ive never had a problem on kids day!

I think many of you are missing the point. "Worst" implies that there has been some comparison (at least in the mind of the author). I'm stating that to write an artcile and make such a claim, that there should be some facts to back it up. I'm not questioning the veracity of the statement (as I think it may be close to the truth) but from a journalistic standpoint, you should provide more substance than "Bah - these guys are the worst!"

In other words, how did the author come to this conclusion?

I don't know why people care about this "problem" with out of town fans. Can't take a little abuse? Guess what? Don't come to the Ralph! How about that for advice. I've gone to Philly and I've gone to the Meadowlands (both Jets and Giants games) and I knew going in their would be verbal abuse and the like. I thought it was hilarious, yelled a little back, and smiled at all the bastards when our team scored.

I'm the first to admit that I treated the Pitt fans in front of me like sh-- at that finale a couple years ago, and I hope they went home and said so. The reason: Don't come back to Buffalo next time!

Obviously the drunken behavior that turns violent needs to be curbed, but I'm all for the verbal assaults. Once again, don't come to our stadium if you can't handle a little fun.

I don't know why people care about this "problem" with out of town fans. Can't take a little abuse? Guess what? Don't come to the Ralph! How about that for advice. I've gone to Philly and I've gone to the Meadowlands (both Jets and Giants games) and I knew going in their would be verbal abuse and the like. I thought it was hilarious, yelled a little back, and smiled at all the bastards when our team scored.

I'm the first to admit that I treated the Pitt fans in front of me like sh-- at that finale a couple years ago, and I hope they went home and said so. The reason: Don't come back to Buffalo next time!

Obviously the drunken behavior that turns violent needs to be curbed, but I'm all for the verbal assaults. Once again, don't come to our stadium if you can't handle a little fun.

Verbal abuse is fine, but when it goes over that line and drunken idiots do things like toss lit cigarettes in the direction of opposing fans or throw beer on them, that's stupid. Too many times I've seen that kinda crap @ Bills games.

If someone wants to verbally tease my wife (a Bills season ticket holder, by the way) when she attends Bills games in her Steeler gear, that's okay. I don't recommend it going any further than that though.

RWS is bad. Really bad. Never, ever bring someone under 18 to the Ralph. It is a zoo. Period. If tickets were $75 minimum, you wouldn't see it as much, but WNY is pretty much a blue collar town where getting bombed and going to the game is a big big deal... abuse of other teams fans is in bad taste and inhospitable to those who come and spend a lot of money in our town, but who said 50% of those in attendance had much in the way of taste to begin with.

I've been to several other NFL stadiums and the fan behavior towards opposing fans is nowhere near the level of RWS. In addition, nowhere did I see the numbers of "out of their mind" drunks that is seen at RWS. From what I have seen and read, I think the "atmosphere ranking" in terms of treatment of opposing fans seems fair.

PS That being said, I have not been to Philly or some of the other notorious venues for opposing fans to enter.

Oops...wrong thread. I meant to post this in the thread with the SI poll..

I agree with the drinking part. I have been to 13 different Stadiums & the drinking that goes on in the Ralph Stadium Parking lot before the game is by far & away more then any other stadium I have went to. I am not looking down on it, I am there at 8am drinking with everybody else. I am just saying if you think the amount of drinking at other stadiums on game day compares to the Ralph, I think your wrong.

With that being said, I have been a season ticket holder for 12 years. I have probably missed about 6 or 7 games in that time. Maybe it is because I sit in a decent section(109) or whatever, but I have never had a problem with the behavior that other people have experienced. Me & my friends are not thugs, but we are not choir boys either. None of us have ever come close to getting into a fight in the stadium. I just have not experienced the problems that other people report on this board.