Historical Game of the Week

KRC

The Historical GOTW has hit the big time: hosting on TBD. We are in the process of building the History section of TBD and the Historical GOTW is the first item in that section.

This week, I thought I would toss something out to the youngin's who remember the 1965 AFL Championship game.

1965 AFL Championship Game

This is the last game where I will be providing the box score and play-by-play. In the future, you will be able to access the boxscore in the TBD history section. It will take a little time, however, for this to be finished. I will let you know when it is done.

Box Score and Play by Play

You can access all of the GOTW articles here.

San Diego coach Sid Gillman was so confident of his victory, he told a Buffalo News reporter “You know, there is no way we can lose this game on Sunday…We’re going to win this game because Kemp has the maturity of a 10-year-old girl.”

Must be a Democrat.. :beer:

Great story Ken! Many may recall a titanic tilt a few weeks earlier at Boston, who had challenged us mightily for the East. The defense was again 'other-worldly' and a picture of the game made our first ever SI cover.

Congrats on hosting @ TBD! Your status is now legendary! :thumbsup:

how would have the 64/65 bills done against lombardi's packers ?

It's hard to say. The NFL has always been afraid of playing teams from other leagues. It is much easier to just dismiss them than to try to prove it on the field. Just look what the Browns did to the Iggles in 1950.

IMO, the 64 team would have done better than the 65 team. The 65 team had too many offensive weapons gone from the 64 lineup. They would have more difficulty scoring points.

It's hard to say. The NFL has always been afraid of playing teams from other leagues. It is much easier to just dismiss them than to try to prove it on the field. Just look what the Browns did to the Iggles in 1950.

IMO, the 64 team would have done better than the 65 team. The 65 team had too many offensive weapons gone from the 64 lineup. They would have more difficulty scoring points.

In 1961, the AFL Bills DID play the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in Hamilton and lost 38-21. :lol:

Have any other AFL or NFL teams played a CFL game?

Quote:"how would have the 64/65 bills done against lombardi's packers ?

I agree the '64 team was a match for anyone. That year, the Browns were the NFL champs -a rare off-year for the Pack. IMHO, the Bills would have held down Brown enough and would have been World Champions. '65 & '66 teams? Not so well against Lombardi's boys, me thinks..

In 1961, the AFL Bills DID play the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in Hamilton and lost 38-21. :lol:

Note, I said NFL. :lol:

Have any other AFL or NFL teams played a CFL game?

Possibly. I do not follow exhibition games too closely, so I cannot answer.