What must be fixed to make playoffs?!?

Biggwigg

After those lackluster wins and the beating Arizona gave us, what improvements must we make to be contenders? A few question the Bills need to answer.

1) What is up with the O-line. They were were supposed to be a strength, but are average at best. The run blocking is horrendous. Peters has to step it up, Fowler sucks, and Dockery is overpaid.

2) Were is the pass-rush? Why are we paying Kelsay and Schobel so much money? Were are the blitz packeges? Some of these question must be answered.

3)How good is our LB corps? We need Crowell more than we thought.

4) Will we ever have an offensive TE. I miss Riemersma so much.

A couple things I think we could do RIGHT NOW would be to replace Copeland Bryan with Chris Ellis and replace Melvin Fowler with Puke Preston. Even though I call him Puke his blocking has gotten better over the last two seasons and I think the only reason he hasn't replaced Fowler was because of his dissasterous shotgun snapping last season. If he has improved this, this should be the first move next practice. I gotta believe the Bills have no intentions of keeping Fowler around anyways, let's see what Preston has over the course of a few games after two weeks of practice with the first unit. As for Ellis, I'm hoping a lack of desire to play special teams isn't the reason he hasn't seen the field. He won't solve the lack of a pass rush problem, but should give it a little boost.

After those lackluster wins and the beating Arizona gave us, what improvements must we make to be contenders? A few question the Bills need to answer.

1) What is up with the O-line. They were were supposed to be a strength, but are average at best. The run blocking is horrendous. Peters has to step it up, Fowler sucks, and Dockery is overpaid.

2) Were is the pass-rush? Why are we paying Kelsay and Schobel so much money? Were are the blitz packeges? Some of these question must be answered.

Lackluster wins? They were pretty exciting to me. I figured after we lost a game people would over react around here.

I think the coaching is more of a concern the then talent. With the speed and youth the bills have at linebacker and d-back, how on earth could Fewell decide not to blitz that old war horse every single play? Fewell even shocked the Cardinals, because they came out with quick passes to offset the blitzing that Fewell would most certainly have the Bills doing.....right? WRONG. How hard could the Cards' coaches been laughing after the game as Warner beat the Bills with that quick pass game while the Bills didn't blitz anyway? Here's another question. With all those guys in pass coverage not blitzing, why were all those Cards running free playing catch with Warner unimpeded? So what was Fewell's game plan in the first place?

On offense, it's time to practice run blocking. These practices I read about in today's NFL are such a joke. They can only be 90 minutes long and there is not time to give your second string QB more then two lousy snaps all week? And how much time do those 300 lb behemouths really spend practicing their run blocking?? In todays' over coached NFL, all they seem to do is come out Wednesday and memorize the game plans the assistant coaches spend 105 hours a week schemeing for an hour and a half, and then the same for the defense for their hour and a half on Thursday , and the rest of the week what do they really do? Classroom study? Play video games? Get treatment? Where is Vince Lombardi making his team run plays over and over until they can't breathe until they get them right??

If Edwards needs more then these two weeks to recover, then the coaches had better find some "time" to drill the O-line's butt off on their run blocking, because Losman will need the running game to get through however many games he plays without losing them by bumbling around with his passing game.

Lackluster wins? They were pretty exciting to me. I figured after we lost a game people would over react around here.

Yeah. I was so excited to come from behind against Oakland and St Louis. We should be dominating these teams not scraping by. I am not over reacting because we lost a game. I am reacting because we bearly won 3 out our 4 wins and got crushed by Arizona.

1. true

2. true

3. true

4. true

5. get Edwards back in there

what must be done to make the playoffs?

Real simple... play some frickin "D"

This defense has no balls... The front seven flat out sucks. The DT's are not getting any penetration. The DEs are not applying any outside pressure. Mitchell is a slightly better than average OLB, but he's not that fast... Real disappointed in POZ... but that could be because the DT's suck. The other OLB position is clearly undermanned... we need a man over there... not the girly girl Ellison.

On O... I can't figure it out... Is it because the offensive line can't run block, or is Studesville incompetent as a RB coach?... then again you have rookie OC... another experiment.... is it all of the above?

The bottom line though, as I said... this defense sucks.... they should be ashamed of themselves.... 380 yards to the frickin Raiders and in 42 opportunities to sack Kurt Warner last week they whiffed miserably... zero sacks... that is horrid and sums up this team's problem. This defense is adequate when they face an undermanned or crappy offense... but when they face a team like Arizona, San Diego, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Dallas, or Denver.... they are unmasked and perform like cheap tissue.

Again.................

Before the season began, if we were asked if we would be happy being 4-1 before the BYE break would everyone be happy? EVERYONE on this board would be exstatic........

We are 4-1, you guys are acting like we are 1-4 or 2-3.....I dont get you guys.

I think if this team is going to make the palyoffs. Trent needs to play solid mistake free ball, Lynch needs to wear down defenders by hitting them in the face, Evans needs to make game changing plays, the special teams need to be solid at all phases, and the D needs to make stops when we need them.

So basically, the team needs to keep doing what it has been, with the exception of one of the first five games.

I think the coaching is more of a concern the then talent. With the speed and youth the bills have at linebacker and d-back, how on earth could Fewell decide not to blitz that old war horse every single play? Fewell even shocked the Cardinals, because they came out with quick passes to offset the blitzing that Fewell would most certainly have the Bills doing.....right? WRONG. How hard could the Cards' coaches been laughing after the game as Warner beat the Bills with that quick pass game while the Bills didn't blitz anyway? Here's another question. With all those guys in pass coverage not blitzing, why were all those Cards running free playing catch with Warner unimpeded? So what was Fewell's game plan in the first place?

On offense, it's time to practice run blocking. These practices I read about in today's NFL are such a joke. They can only be 90 minutes long and there is not time to give your second string QB more then two lousy snaps all week? And how much time do those 300 lb behemouths really spend practicing their run blocking?? In todays' over coached NFL, all they seem to do is come out Wednesday and memorize the game plans the assistant coaches spend 105 hours a week schemeing for an hour and a half, and then the same for the defense for their hour and a half on Thursday , and the rest of the week what do they really do? Classroom study? Play video games? Get treatment? Where is Vince Lombardi making his team run plays over and over until they can't breathe until they get them right??

If Edwards needs more then these two weeks to recover, then the coaches had better find some "time" to drill the O-line's butt off on their run blocking, because Losman will need the running game to get through however many games he plays without losing them by bumbling around with his passing game.

1. I agree 100% that Fewell was clueless

2. Right from the start when they picked up these free agents for the offensive line I smelled trouble with how big they are. Where did they get the idea that these 330 pound slobs could open up holes?

These elephants can't get out of their stance fast enough to get a run block off.

Guest dog14787
three things need to be fixed to make the playoffs,

1. Offensive Line

2. Offensive Line

3. Offensive Line

Couldn't have said it better, we have Marshawn Lynch and Freddie Jackson and we can't run the ball?

Is this the after effects of Fairchilds greatest show on turf disaster?

I don't put the blame on Turk Shonert for the previous offense he's been forced to adapt to, but I do expect Shonert to make the necessary adjustments in the next two weeks to help our running game get on track.

Couldn't have said it better, we have Marshawn Lynch and Freddie Jackson and we can't run the ball?

Is this the after effects of Fairchilds greatest show on turf disaster?

I don't put the blame on Turk Shonert for the previous offense he's been forced to adapt to, but I do expect Shonert to make the necessary adjustments in the next two weeks to help our running game get on track.

Agree completely.All off-season I kept hearing that there were going to be major changes in the passing game but the running game was staying basically the same. And I kept thinking WHY? We couldn't run effectively last year. Turk needs to take these two weeks and revamp the running game.These plays stink. We haven't been able to run the ball since Kent Hull retired.Run the occasional pitch-out and sweep.Varieyt Turk!