Two Surprising Stats

BillsNYC

1) "Evans caught the 30th touchdown pass of his career in last week's come-from-behind victory against the hapless St. Louis Rams. He also moved into seventh place on the Bills charts for career yardage (4,059), and if he maintains this pace through the next 12 games, he'll climb to fourth in career receptions, trailing only Reed, Eric Moulds, Thurman Thomas and Pete Metzelaars."

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/articl...3/810050383/tbd

2) "During the course of covering this story, I had a conversation with a source close to negotiations, who compared Evans to Andre Reed in terms of numbers at the start of his career.

For what it's worth, it's interesting.

Through the first four years, Andre Reed caught 229 passes for 3,096 yards and 22 TD's. Evans numbers are better slightly better through that same time frame - 233 receptions for 3,727 yards and 29 touchdowns."

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=61192

1) Metzelaars is number 4 in receptions on the team? Didn't realize the red head had that many catches.

2) Very interesting that Evan's numbers are a touch better than Reed's over first 4 years considering how terrible this offense has been through his career.

1) "Evans caught the 30th touchdown pass of his career in last week's come-from-behind victory against the hapless St. Louis Rams. He also moved into seventh place on the Bills charts for career yardage (4,059), and if he maintains this pace through the next 12 games, he'll climb to fourth in career receptions, trailing only Reed, Eric Moulds, Thurman Thomas and Pete Metzelaars."

2) "During the course of covering this story, I had a conversation with a source close to negotiations, who compared Evans to Andre Reed in terms of numbers at the start of his career.

Through the first four years, Andre Reed caught 229 passes for 3,096 yards and 22 TD's. Evans numbers are better slightly better through that same time frame - 233 receptions for 3,727 yards and 29 touchdowns."

1) Metzelaars is number 4 in receptions on the team? Didn't realize the red head had that many catches.

2) Very interesting that Evan's numbers are a touch better than Reed's over first 4 years considering how terrible this offense has been through his career.

That is interesting. However, Reed was on some bad teams to start his career too. Plus, the league is more pass-happy now than they were before so that probably helps explain some of it as well.

That is interesting. However, Reed was on some bad teams to start his career too. Plus, the league is more pass-happy now than they were before so that probably helps explain some of it as well.

The league may be more pass happy, But our Bills certainly have not been very pass happy with Evans here. We have been very run oriented, and at best I would say we are Balanced.

I look at it as sorta apples to oranges. The '90s teams were so stacked that the ball was distributed to a lot of guys beyond 'Dre--TT, Metz, Lofton, Beebe. Evans has been essentially the only passing target here over his tenure. His stats are impressive no doubt, but Reed's are no less so because his chances were limited by an embarressment of riches...

[/i]

He could have cited The Dean, on TSW, also making that very comparison. :lol:

I'm just sayin...

Just remember that Andre's first four years were 1985. 86, 87, 88, 89.

The team was just getting together: Kelly and Metz arrived in 86, Thurman in 88, Lofton and Beebe in 89. It took time for the team to develop its offensive identity. In that way, Andre and Evans faced similar problems.

The real interest will compare Evans' next four years to Andre's monster years of 90-93.

The most suprising bills related stat to me. Is still that no Bills receiver has ever had back to back 1000 yard seasons. For as much as people harp on the passing game. That stat to me stands alone, as a sobering reminder.That to win late season football games in Buffalo. You have to be able to control the clock, and the overall game with your rushing attack.

If Evans continues his reception pace and ends up behind Reed, Moulds, Thomas, and Metzelaars, wouldn't that put him at 5th in career receptions? :lol:

The league may be more pass happy, But our Bills certainly have not been very pass happy with Evans here. We have been very run oriented, and at best I would say we are Balanced.

Total Percentage of Passing Plays

1990: 45.7%

1991: 48.9%

1992: 46.8%

1993: 46.1%

Avg: 46.9%

2004: 47.0%

2005: 49.4%

2006: 48.0%

2007: 48.4%

2008: 48.6%

Avg: 48.3%

This current group is a little more pass heavy than the SB Bills, but they're definitely more balanced.

Total Percentage of Passing Plays

1990: 45.7%

1991: 48.9%

1992: 46.8%

1993: 46.1%

Avg: 46.9%

2004: 47.0%

2005: 49.4%

2006: 48.0%

2007: 48.4%

2008: 48.6%

Avg: 48.3%

This current group is a little more pass heavy than the SB Bills, but they're definitely more balanced.

Dunno if this is relevant, but Reed's first four years were 1985-1988.

Dunno if this is relevant, but Reed's first four years were 1985-1988.

I was addressing another point.

Total Percentage Of Passing Plays

1985: 53.2%

1986: 51.8%

1987: 50.7%

1988: 44.9%

Avg: 50.2%

1988 was so low because that was when Thurman Thomas arrived onto the scene. So the pre-1988 Bills were a lot more pass heavy than the SB Bills and the current Bills. That's because the Bills in the two latter groups had Thomas, Henry, Mcgahee and Lynch at RB.

1988 was so low because that was when Thurman Thomas arrived onto the scene. So the pre-1988 Bills were a lot more pass heavy than the SB Bills and the current Bills. That's because the Bills in the two latter groups had Thomas, Henry, Mcgahee and Lynch at RB.

and in those first four years reed had Jerry Butler, Greg Bell, Rob Riddick, Chris Burkett, Ronnie Harmon, and the last year Metz as passing options aside from him. Reed didn't take over as a great receiver until his 4th year, which coincided with the arrival of TT

that said, Lee Evans has been the better receiver to this point, imo.

shhh... Stop introducing facts to TSW, the place may implode. :)

I still stand by my "distribute the ball' point about Reed, particularly from '86 to '88...although I admit I had a brain cramp on Lofton and Beebe. :beer: (sooo many years ago...sigh)

1985:

Bell--58 catches

Reed--48 catches

Butler--41 catches

1986:

Kelly was 4th in passes completed (8th in attempts).

Reed--53 catches

Metz--49 catches

Riddick--49 catches

Harmon--22 catches

1987:

Kelly was again 4th in completions and 4th in attempts.

Reed--57 catches

Harmon--56 catches

Burkett--56 catches

Metz--28 catches

1988:

Kelly was just 6th in completions :lol: and 8th in attempts.

Reed--71 catches

Harmon--37 catches

Johnson--37 catches

Metz--33 catches

Riddick--30 catches

TT--18 catches

thurman barely played in his rookie year. so the low passing in 88 had next to nothing to do with him

yeah, but those were the days before a two back system happy league. most starting runnging backs had a lot more carries per game than do today's backs.

wasnt 88 ronnie harmon's year as a starter?

He was a backup. He played in all 16 games, but only started 1 game. He only averaged a few carries per game.

Those high percentages may also have had to do with the scoreboard saying we needed to play catch-up...