Ch 4 may get dropped from Time Warner?

Beerball

I don't like either TW or LIN. Your statement that I quote is an entirely inaccurate characterization of what I have said.

First, the issue is not over "a penny to carry a major broadcast affiliate." It's slightly less than a penny per subscriber PER DAY, which amounts to a vast sum of money per subscriber base PER YEAR as discussed in my prior post and will be referenced below. Anyone who can't comprehend how that money adds up is likely to blame for the national economic crisis in which we're now mired.

Second, this is a national question involving tens of millions of dollars and future negotiations with other local broadcast affiliates in other markets. In other words, the question isn't about today's Bills/Cardinals game, it's about whether TW is forced to pay for programming that is broadcast over the air by these affiliates. I'm not taking sides; just pointing out the facts.

The way for consumers to deal with this problem is to ditch Time Warner and, for those of you who meter, ignore Channel 4. Enough canceled ad buys will surely soften LIN's position (remember, LIN pulled its programming from TW). Likewise, although it will probably take a little while longer, enough new FIOS and DISH users should cause TW to think about its approach to this negotiation.

I tell you what, if Lin is asking for more than 30 cents/subscriber/month (for each of their two stations in Buffalo), then they are, likely, asking for far too much. I have a hard time believing that is the number that is being tossed around.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell you what, if Lin is asking for more than 30 cents/subscriber/month (for each of their two stations in Buffalo), then they are, likely, asking for far too much. I have a hard time believing that is the number that is being tossed around.

One penny a day is indeed the number. Conflicting reports on what the deal b/w TW and Channel 29 was; I believe the BNews had the arrangement as barter - TW buys time on Channel 29 and whatever the sister station is (UPN? 49?); other report had a smaller amount of money per subscriber changing hands.

After watching the game today, I'm starting to lean toward Channel 4 needing TW more than TW needs Channel 4. LIN is going to take a hit on canceled ads if they haven't already and has no way of adequately reaching TW homes. Moreover, FIOS can't keep up with those who want to jump ship on TW. The wait for FIOS is apparently six months right now; the dish is obviously a separate deal, but it still seems like TW has an advantage from the standpoint that the other providers can't handle an exodus right now.

One penny a day is indeed the number. Conflicting reports on what the deal b/w TW and Channel 29 was; I believe the BNews had the arrangement as barter - TW buys time on Channel 29 and whatever the sister station is (UPN? 49?); other report had a smaller amount of money per subscriber changing hands.

After watching the game today, I'm starting to lean toward Channel 4 needing TW more than TW needs Channel 4. LIN is going to take a hit on canceled ads if they haven't already and has no way of adequately reaching TW homes. Moreover, FIOS can't keep up with those who want to jump ship on TW. The wait for FIOS is apparently six months right now; the dish is obviously a separate deal, but it still seems like TW has an advantage from the standpoint that the other providers can't handle an exodus right now.

I have been involved in these types of negotiations for many years, and in many markets. That number, as cash, seems out of line to me. But, I admit, it's been several years for me. I wouldn't trust the News as a source for the info, though.

The other stuff is complicated, and the momentum of who has the upper had, can change quickly. Right now, TW probably does have the upper hand, so takes the brunt of the blame, too. It will be interesting to see the ratings impact on the Bills game, today. Actually, today's game might not be a good indicator. Since many households installed rabbit ears, or changed providers in the past few days, those with Nielsen meters will be "off line", most likely today. The new devices are unlikely to have been calibrated by Nielsen, so the "unidentified viewing" for many households should be very high. Even if there are enough "in tab" meters for Nielsen to produce a rating, Lin (if they know what they are doing) should have someone (like me) on the horn with Nielsen examining the representative breakdown of those functioning meters producing usable data. It is possible that Nielsen will be unable to produce a usable rating for Buffalo's viewing today.

<CL cover your eyes> How are the negotiations going? Its real f***ing convenient when you want to watch Ch. 4 news. F*** LIN, F*** TW and F*** your goodwill gesture of handing out .25 cent antennas.

I don't give a sh-- if FIOS costs more than TW. As soon as it is available in my area, I'm switching.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Latest message from WIVB GM...

October 17th Letter to Time Warner Cable Subscribers:

Dear Time Warner Cable Subscribers,

By way of an update, we continue to devote tremendous time and resources to our negotiations with Time Warner Cable, with the hopes of reaching a fair deal. I assure you we are working days, nights and weekends and our efforts are focused on securing a contract. Unfortunately, we can not predict if, or when, we will reach a deal. In the meantime, it is important for you to know that you can still access our station's programming. Time Warner subscribers can receive our station's analog and high-definition signals over the air by using an antenna or through another multi-channel provider. As you know, we have reached deals with all other major cable, satellite and telecommunications companies, all of whom recognize that they must pay for a product that they resell to their customers for a profit. Thank you for all of your tremendous support. Our stations provide a valuable product and we are proud of what we can offer the local community.

Christopher A. Musial

President and General Manager

WIVB-TV and WNLO-TV CW23

Dear Chris,

Hear that flushing sound? It's your advertising revenue going down the toilet. A continued FU to LIN & TW.

LB

PS Stop patronizing me with your rabbit ear antenna crap. This is 2008, not 1950. :thumbsup:

October 17th Letter to Time Warner Cable Subscribers:

Dear Time Warner Cable Subscribers,

By way of an update, we continue to devote tremendous time and resources to our negotiations with Time Warner Cable, with the hopes of reaching a fair deal. I assure you we are working days, nights and weekends and our efforts are focused on securing a contract. Unfortunately, we can not predict if, or when, we will reach a deal. In the meantime, it is important for you to know that you can still access our station's programming. Time Warner subscribers can receive our station's analog and high-definition signals over the air by using an antenna or through another multi-channel provider. As you know, we have reached deals with all other major cable, satellite and telecommunications companies, all of whom recognize that they must pay for a product that they resell to their customers for a profit. Thank you for all of your tremendous support. Our stations provide a valuable product and we are proud of what we can offer the local community.

Christopher A. Musial

President and General Manager

WIVB-TV and WNLO-TV CW23

Dear Chris,

Hear that flushing sound? It's your advertising revenue going down the toilet. A continued FU to LIN & TW.

LB

PS Stop patronizing me with your rabbit ear antenna crap. This is 2008, not 1950. :thumbsup:

Is this you Cablelady??? :thumbsup:

24 days until my FIOS TV hook-up, goodbye TW :D

You know with Fios you will lose the Sabres home games in HD.

I hope they told you that before you signed up.

Only DirecTv and TW offer home MSG games in HD.... and TW has no WIVB......

so.....

LB

I know your pain. Last month, a windstorm swept through and knocked out the power for several days. I own a battery-operated 5" tv - but it took me 2 minutes to find and hook up rabbit ears that I already owned.

<CL cover your eyes> How are the negotiations going? Its real f***ing convenient when you want to watch Ch. 4 news. F*** LIN, F*** TW and F*** your goodwill gesture of handing out .25 cent antennas.

I don't give a sh-- if FIOS costs more than TW. As soon as it is available in my area, I'm switching.

:thumbsup:

Again, I know you are a Sabres fan, FIOS does not offer MSG in HD.... if that's important to you, you may want to consider that.

I have been involved in these types of negotiations for many years, and in many markets. That number, as cash, seems out of line to me. But, I admit, it's been several years for me. I wouldn't trust the News as a source for the info, though.

The other stuff is complicated, and the momentum of who has the upper had, can change quickly. Right now, TW probably does have the upper hand, so takes the brunt of the blame, too. It will be interesting to see the ratings impact on the Bills game, today. Actually, today's game might not be a good indicator. Since many households installed rabbit ears, or changed providers in the past few days, those with Nielsen meters will be "off line", most likely today. The new devices are unlikely to have been calibrated by Nielsen, so the "unidentified viewing" for many households should be very high. Even if there are enough "in tab" meters for Nielsen to produce a rating, Lin (if they know what they are doing) should have someone (like me) on the horn with Nielsen examining the representative breakdown of those functioning meters producing usable data. It is possible that Nielsen will be unable to produce a usable rating for Buffalo's viewing today.

Did you see the reference to Channel 4's revenue dip in the BNews recently? I though Pergament had the numbers at 100k to 150k per week. If that's the case, LIN would have to have its proposal accepted in full (if you believe the News's numbers and extrapolate to all other affected markets) to make up for one year's worth of lost revenue if those goes on through Thanksgiving. TW's loss of 1,000 customers per week, although certainly pricey, brings it (I think) to about 1% of its subscriber base in this market. What a mess.

It seems like this might go on for awhile unless the sales folks and talent with incentive-based pay (they must be a chipper bunch right now) pull a mutiny. I guess the new book could encourage LIN to back off a bit, too, but at this point, who knows . . . .