3rd Down Defense

NobesBLO13

One of things I felt we look great in through 4 games is 3rd down defense. I decided to look it up and we're number 1 in the nfl with 19.2%. Last year it was something like 45%. Remember how frustrating it was last season (and beyond) when the D would set up 3rd and longs only to give up the big play for a 1st? The defense is getting off the field and it really puts into perspective how far our defense has come since last year.

One of things I felt we look great in through 4 games is 3rd down defense. I decided to look it up and we're number 1 in the nfl with 19.2%. Last year it was something like 45%. Remember how frustrating it was last season (and beyond) when the D would set up 3rd and longs only to give up the big play for a 1st? The defense is getting off the field and it really puts into perspective how far our defense has come since last year.

That's a great stat, but it all starts with 1rst and 2nd downs, and that is what is setting them up, there were lots

of times over the last couple of years were the opponent would face third and long, and we would give up the first,

we were not getting any pressure, and opponents knew that they could take their time and spot the open

reciever, they do not have that same luxury this year. It just seems like we have them in third and long

a lot more this year, but the differnce is we are making them pay now.

Go Bills!

This is another of those "which came first, the chicken or the egg" sort of statistics, but the offenses the Bills have faced thus far rank 10th (JAX), 21st (SEA), 31st (OAK), and 32nd (STL) in third down offense.

Arizona ranks 7th at 43%, so this week will be a good test indeed.

This is another of those "which came first, the chicken or the egg" sort of statistics, but the offenses the Bills have faced thus far rank 10th (JAX), 21st (SEA), 31st (OAK), and 32nd (STL) in third down offense.

With only 4 games down, "the chicken, or the egg" is exactly the reason. The Bills virtually shut down Seattle and St Louis on 3rd down and that blatantly has resulted in their 3rd down offense.

That being said, these numbers still don't reflect my nerves on 3rd down. Especially after that Oakland play where they scored off the slant (albeit a lucky play on their part), and our long history of giving up third and long has led me to maintain some doubt.

well, i feel that our 3rd down defense % is going to float a little towards the median, a. we're better than we were before and b. we're going to finish way above avg imo