Millen done in DET

d_wag

FOXSports.com and WDFN (1130 AM) is reporting that the Lions have removed team president and GM Matt Millen from his post, ending one of the most criticized tenures in Detroit sports history.

Millen was informed of the move last night during a late-night high-level meeting. This morning several people within the building confirmed that he had large packing boxes in his office.

It is unclear if Millen was fired or removed himself from the equation but the news comes just days after Bill Ford, Jr. publicly stated he would have fired the GM if it was his decision but he lacked the authority to do so.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID...ORTS01/80924031

...it is reported the name at the top of Ford's list is Chris Mortenson. Mortenson was highly recommended by Millen and Tom Donahoe. After removing his tongue from Donahoe's ass Mort said he was very interested in the job. It is believed Millen recommended Mort because it would make people miss him as GM and make him look smart.

The questions that keeps coming up (in TV and radio commentary and such) are: Why did they decide to do this now? Isn't it disruptive to fire the GM mid-season? Won't this hurt the team, for this year?

What? It isn't the head coach, it's the GM. It's nowhere near the draft and I doubt there are any contracts that come due in the next month or two. Why would firing a GM, during the season, be detrimental to a team's performance?

Of course, this completely ignores the point that the impact of the subtraction of Matt Millen, has to be positive no matter when it occurs.

The questions that keeps coming up (in TV and radio commentary and such) are: Why did they decide to do this now? Isn't it disruptive to fire the GM mid-season? Won't this hurt the team, for this year?

What? It isn't the head coach, it's the GM. It's nowhere near the draft and I doubt there are any contracts that come due in the next month or two. Why would firing a GM, during the season, be detrimental to a team's performance?

Of course, this completely ignores the point that the impact of the subtraction of Matt Millen, has to be positive no matter when it occurs.

Deano, you are forgetting Matt Millen's best move ever...

Link

They could've fired him 10 seconds before the draft and been in a better position. 0:)

I don't think it's a coincidence that he's fired soon after Ford's son says he'd fire his ass if it was up to him. What happened after that I don't know. I'm guessing a conversation between father and son took place.

I'm not sure I even know about that incident. It sounds pretty fuc#ing good, though.

'86 AFC playoffs - the year the Bears/McMouth kicked NE's* ass in the SB. Pretty sure Howie Long was involved in that incident too - but the photo clearly shows Millen was the one that 'bloodied-up' the Sullivan punk.

Didn't see it posted, so sorry if a re-post.

After taking over a below average team and running it into the ground even more over the past 7 years, the Lions have finally punted Matt Millen. 0:)

It was about time too, as we all remember the non-stop drafting of WRs, lol. Hopefully they can turn it around over the next few years, it's not easy or fun supporting a perenial loser.

'86 AFC playoffs - the year the Bears/McMouth kicked NE's* ass in the SB. Pretty sure Howie Long was involved in that incident too - but the photo clearly shows Millen was the one that 'bloodied-up' the Sullivan punk.

I remember it. Truly awesome. Sullivan was taunting the Raider players, as I recall.

Didn't see it posted, so sorry if a re-post.

After taking over a below average team and running it into the ground even more over the past 7 years, the Lions have finally punted Matt Millen. 0:)

It was about time too, as we all remember the non-stop drafting of WRs, lol. Hopefully they can turn it around over the next few years, it's not easy or fun supporting a perenial loser.

Mark Schlereth was saying on ESPN that Millen should know the games are won and lost in the trenches and he was mystified by Millen's infatuation with receivers.

IMO, receivers are very important after building a great OL and finding a great QB and then building up the defensive line. Schlereth was also mystified by Millen trading away his only good defensive player to the Browns in the offseason.

I'd better stop now or this post will be 10 feet long in order to go over all of his stupid decisions. :lol: