The Miami Game In Toronto Did Not Phase Me At First

BuffaloBaumer

Yeah, if you have any kind of pride whatsoever in your body, this should piss you off. Not to mention every other teams fans calling us the Toronto Bills......the International Bills........The Canadian Bills...........or the USA Today this Monday having a small article about the Bills clicking at the perfect time while in serious flirtations with Toronto about moving there.

The whole thing really pisses me off.

Big Tree, all the hotels, Danny's and all of the other bars, eateries, hotels, and citizens should be pissed that the money making Bills are actually taking more money OUT of Buffalo to have the fuggin game in Canada.

UGH! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

!@#$ the NFL sometimes!

But still, Go Bills!

Agreed.

But, if this gambit helps to keep the Bills in Buffalo, after Ralph takes the dirt nap, then it will have all been worthwhile. One weekend a season, for many more seasons, is a pretty good trade.

Obviously, if it doesn't help keep the Bills in Buffalo, it won't be looked at. as kindly. Still, I think it is a bold, and aggressive move that is misinterpreted by small minds, and the inherently suspicious.

"Bold and aggressive"? redundant?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the only good thing coming from the Bills playing a game in Toronto is this......and I've seen alot of it lately from the real Bills fans in Canada.

MOST, not all, of the true blue Bills fans in Canada want the Bills to remain in Buffalo because of the atmosphere at the Ralph. I actually met 4 fans from Ottawa at my hotel for the opener who bought season tickets to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

This past weekend, we were at Danny's on Saturday Night with block of 6 Bills fans from Quebec and two from Toronto who did the same thing. If the Bills have great year this season, and the NFL with it's popularity so large now, I have no doubt we will push season tickets to around 65,000 next season. When we get closer and closer to a waiting list, that will be just more pressure to keep the team here.

It won't be full proof, but pressure will be created on the NFL, especially by politicians.

Hey, you met my friends! (The guys from Ottawa). If it weren't for uncertainty at work I would have joined them. Next year, I'm thinking of getting a pair and making the trip down at least 6 times (I usually do about 3-4 a year).

As for Canadian fans of the Bills, almost all want the Bills to stay in Buffalo. We don't want the amazing tailgate atmosphere of the Ralph sterilized by Ted Rogers and his merry band of idiots.

Yes, it sucks that a game is in TO this year, but the Bills have made a fortune from this deal and if these kind of deals help keep the Bills in Buffalo, then we should ALL be for it. Yes, the Bills make money but not near what other teams in the league do. Sadly, this is a business first.

Agreed.

But, if this gambit helps to keep the Bills in Buffalo, after Ralph takes the dirt nap, then it will have all been worthwhile. One weekend a season, for many more seasons, is a pretty good trade.

Obviously, if it doesn't help keep the Bills in Buffalo, it won't be looked at. as kindly. Still, I think it is a bold, and aggressive move that is misinterpreted by small minds, and the inherently suspicious.

"Bold and aggressive"? redundant?

Those of us who are small minded remember Cleveland and Baltimore. We also feel for the Buffalo business owner (who could use some of that NFL cash, especially when their taxes pay for some of the tab at the Ralph) who is losing out on major money on football weekends.

Any way you look at it, it's a schitty deal for the city of Buffalo. Doesn't seem too bold and aggressive to most business owners, I wouldn't think!

Oh well, it's the way it goes I guess. I just hope the Bills are sincere in their intentions. Every quote I see coming from the Toronto group does NOT act like they are just happy to have a couple games every now and then.

Hey, you met my friends! (The guys from Ottawa). If it weren't for uncertainty at work I would have joined them. Next year, I'm thinking of getting a pair and making the trip down at least 6 times (I usually do about 3-4 a year).

As for Canadian fans of the Bills, almost all want the Bills to stay in Buffalo. We don't want the amazing tailgate atmosphere of the Ralph sterilized by Ted Rogers and his merry band of idiots.

Yes, it sucks that a game is in TO this year, but the Bills have made a fortune from this deal and if these kind of deals help keep the Bills in Buffalo, then we should ALL be for it. Yes, the Bills make money but not near what other teams in the league do. Sadly, this is a business first.

Yeah, I almost wish the Canadian contingent who come to Bills games would start a huge Bills backers club up there, and make it heard loud and clear that they want to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

That would also help. It's amazing, but there are alot of you up there, who want to keep the team in Buffalo. A little noise about that wouldn't hurt.

:thumbsup:

Those of us who are small minded remember Cleveland and Baltimore. We also feel for the Buffalo business owner (who could use some of that NFL cash, especially when their taxes pay for some of the tab at the Ralph) who is losing out on major money on football weekends.

Any way you look at it, it's a schitty deal for the city of Buffalo. Doesn't seem too bold and aggressive to most business owners, I wouldn't think!

Oh well, it's the way it goes I guess. I just hope the Bills are sincere in their intentions. Every quote I see coming from the Toronto group does NOT act like they are just happy to have a couple games every now and then.

I actually didn't think you were among the small minded, but now I am not so sure. :thumbsup:

Why would you care what the press out of TO says? I chuckle every time I read one of their articles. I pat attention to the words, and actions, of the people actually involved, or have some influence, in the operation. The Bills, Goodell, Senator Schumer, etc have made it clear that this is a move devised to help expand the BUFFALO Bills influence in the Toronto market as a way to help increase their continued viability in Buffalo. A careful look at it, from a business perspective reinforces that, I believe.

I certainly understand the fear that the Bills might leave the area, but nothing like this ever happened in Cleveland and Baltimore before those teams left. This is a public and dynamic move to try to maximize the chances the team will remain here, after Ralph's passing. What similar moves did the teams in Cleveland and Baltimore make to improve their viability in those markets, that makes those situations comparable to the current Bills situation?

As I said, in my earlier post, I feel for the local businesses, and understand this is a hardship. However, I think those business would rather give up one game a year, for a few years, than lose the Bills forever.

About the only good thing coming from the Bills playing a game in Toronto is this......and I've seen alot of it lately from the real Bills fans in Canada.

MOST, not all, of the true blue Bills fans in Canada want the Bills to remain in Buffalo because of the atmosphere at the Ralph. I actually met 4 fans from Ottawa at my hotel for the opener who bought season tickets to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

This past weekend, we were at Danny's on Saturday Night with block of 6 Bills fans from Quebec and two from Toronto who did the same thing. If the Bills have great year this season, and the NFL with it's popularity so large now, I have no doubt we will push season tickets to around 65,000 next season. When we get closer and closer to a waiting list, that will be just more pressure to keep the team here.

It won't be full proof, but pressure will be created on the NFL, especially by politicians.

The crowd has been a HUGE factor this year and THAT is my favorite part of the day. I can't remember the last time (well Dallas) that the crowd has been so fired up. There is nothing better than being a part of that and even ONE game less in that atmosphere is one too many.

I actually didn't think you were among the small minded, but now I am not so sure. :devil:

Why would you care what the press out of TO says? I chuckle every time I read one of their articles. I pat attention to the words, and actions, of the people actually involved, or have some influence, in the operation. The Bills, Goodell, Senator Schumer, etc have made it clear that this is a move devised to help expand the BUFFALO Bills influence in the Toronto market as a way to help increase their continued viability in Buffalo. A careful look at it, from a business perspective reinforces that, I believe.

I certainly understand the fear that the Bills might leave the area, but nothing like this ever happened in Cleveland and Baltimore before those teams left. This is a public and dynamic move to try to maximize the chances the team will remain here, after Ralph's passing. What similar moves did the teams in Cleveland and Baltimore make to improve their viability in those markets, that makes those situations comparable to the current Bills situation?

As I said, in my earlier post, I feel for the local businesses, and understand this is a hardship. However, I think those business would rather give up one game a year, for a few years, than lose the Bills forever.

Cleveland and Baltimore didn't have a problem with fan support. And where would Cleveland and Baltimore try to expand to? There is no other city around that isn't in anyone elses territory like Toronto. They wanted new stadiums. They both wanted to also generate new revenue a stadium would bring. Both eventually got them, just not before they moved.

I'm pissed because I think Buffalo gives up way too easily. Maybe if Donte Whitner was mayor, he'd actually have enough to pride to get something done up there to turn around the economy. It just pisses me off that no one has figured out how to develop the waterfront into cash, or Niagara Falls into something special. If people can afford hockey games, they can afford football. Raise prices. Bring us up to par. Then, take that extra cash and BLITZ the Toronto, south ontario area with marketing. But to get rid of a game.........it's just prideless, IMO.

How in the HELL, could you have what used to be one of the wonders of the world on your door step and the city of Niagara Falls be such a dump? It just boggles my mind. And like the original poster said, after attending the first two games this year, it absolutely SUCKS that we'll be missing a game late in the season!

I'm just frustrated that magazines, people who don't live there, media, and everybody else sees ways that Buffalo can improve itself........yet, the ignorant ass politicians up there don't get it. It just worries me. A lot!

Cleveland and Baltimore didn't have a problem with fan support. And where would Cleveland and Baltimore try to expand to? There is no other city around that isn't in anyone elses territory like Toronto. They wanted new stadiums. They both wanted to also generate new revenue a stadium would bring. Both eventually got them, just not before they moved.

I'm pissed because I think Buffalo gives up way too easily. Maybe if Donte Whitner was mayor, he'd actually have enough to pride to get something done up there to turn around the economy. It just pisses me off that no one has figured out how to develop the waterfront into cash, or Niagara Falls into something special. If people can afford hockey games, they can afford football. Raise prices. Bring us up to par. Then, take that extra cash and BLITZ the Toronto, south ontario area with marketing. But to get rid of a game.........it's just prideless, IMO.

How in the HELL, could you have what used to be one of the wonders of the world on your door step and the city of Niagara Falls be such a dump? It just boggles my mind. And like the original poster said, after attending the first two games this year, it absolutely SUCKS that we'll be missing a game late in the season!

I'm just frustrated that magazines, people who don't live there, media, and everybody else sees ways that Buffalo can improve itself........yet, the ignorant ass politicians up there don't get it. It just worries me. A lot!

I understand all that and agree almost completely. The only thing I take any exception to, is the idea that Buffalo doesn't have fan support. They have PLENTY of fan support. What they are missing is support of large businesses that can spring for Suites and big $$ packages. That's where the Toronto strategy comes in.

The money they are paying the bills will make up for it. Also, I think most of the people in the stands will be bills fans. I would have liked to play our division rivals at home in the winter, but if it keeps the bills in buffalo I will live with it. At least it will still be cold, and maybe even snow :devil:

Guest dog14787
I actually didn't think you were among the small minded, but now I am not so sure. :devil:

Amen to that,

I'm kind of excited about the Toronto game because its just going to end up bringing in more football fans to the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. However, if I lived in Buffalo and attended all the home games, i would probably be a little ticked off.

You do realize that there's more than one city in Canada right? (Just setting myself up for Crayonz....)

Just ridiculous....Toronto is a Bills haven. They have as many Fin fans as they do Colt fans, Patriot fans, Charge fans etc...

How many Dolphin season ticket holders reside in Toronto....?

By your logic, people in Toronto love the Cancun Crushers of the Mexico Football League because a lot of them go there for vacation.....

There is only one CITY in Canada - Toronto, the rest are small towns that like to call themselves Cities.

Somebody above mentioned that we should raise prices for tickets - if we can support the sabres than we can support the bills too. I feel everybody that complains about the high prices already, but we do have the lowest prices in the league. The Pats are the highest ($117) and the Bills are the lowest with $51. The thing is though, if the Bills raised every game ticket price about 10 or 20 bucks (on average), we would be in the middle of the pack. Think about it - 8 games (with preseason) with a ticket raise of anywhere between 80 to a 160 bucks. I know how bad that might sound, and it screws over those fans that spend every once of savings on season tickets. But if you want to be with the Big Boys in the Biggest League there is, you gotta shell out the bucks. It really is the only way we can think (in my opinion) of keeping this team without corporate support.

Tampa Bay this year is the second highest ticket in the league at 90 a game. Obviously, Tampa and Buffalo are both cities going in completely different directions (not to mention corporate influence) but they are still considered a small market team. I believe they also have a waiting list, and you can't really say they have a die hard fanbase like the bills (Giants playoff game last year anyone? Giants fans filled that stadium).

And the Giants (who historically have had the same families passing seats down from generation to generation) now have to pay Personal Seat Licenses, when their seats are anything but personal! They have to split them with Jets fans! Obviously the Giants play in New York, and those seats will go no matter what, but they are losing out on their blue collar fan base that had gone to games for 40 years. Imagine having to pay $30,000 (or more) to sit in a seat you have sat in for 40 years, plus pay for every game ticket. So honey, do pay for Suzie's college this year or pay for Giants season tickets?

I personally would take a 200 dollar hit a year if I knew the Bills could say. I know a lot of people would disagree. But I would frankly cut off my leg to see this team win a Super Bowl.

Do you guys agree or disagree? The one hole in my argument I can see is IF the influx of 10-20 bucks a seat would do any good WITHOUT solid corporate support. Dallas is selling their suites at 250,000 a pop, while Buffalo is lucky to get 8-10,000. It seems like Dallas and Washington and New York could make more money than the bills in one year on 200 corporate suites alone compared to 10 years of 71,000 paying fans.

Yeah, I noticed in the USA Today a couple of weeks ago, that one of the wtiters used

The "Toronto Bills", at least he picked us to win, they are all jumping on the band wagon now,

what sheep!

I guess they just can't wtite anything good about the Bills without throwing a jab in there.

we get no respect, again, it will be that much sweeter. At least we won't have to hear

people boast about how they picked us to shine, before the season began, nobody did.

It really is too bad that out of all seasons, they had to take away a home game this year. These Sundays have been such a blast and to think that I will be on the couch instead of hosting a tailgate is hard to swallow. I hope the Toronto folks won't be sitting on their hands all day.

On a side note, Whitner is just an awesome leader on this team!! He better stay a Bill till the end...

I am more po'd that they get to play in the dome versus the outdoor elements

Does anybody know (or think) that there might be a chance that the Toronto game would open the dome? I would feel a lot more comfortable about the game if they at least kept the weather as close to Orchard Park as possible. I mean, Canadians are Canadians after all, and they know cold just like us. I am assuming it is Rogers has the final say. But does anyone remember the preseason game? I am pretty sure I read all over that it was Jauron's decision to close the dome to prepare the team for the same environment come December. You think he might have a say for the Miami game?

Somebody above mentioned that we should raise prices for tickets - if we can support the sabres than we can support the bills too. I feel everybody that complains about the high prices already, but we do have the lowest prices in the league. The Pats are the highest ($117) and the Bills are the lowest with $51. The thing is though, if the Bills raised every game ticket price about 10 or 20 bucks (on average), we would be in the middle of the pack. Think about it - 8 games (with preseason) with a ticket raise of anywhere between 80 to a 160 bucks. I know how bad that might sound, and it screws over those fans that spend every once of savings on season tickets. But if you want to be with the Big Boys in the Biggest League there is, you gotta shell out the bucks. It really is the only way we can think (in my opinion) of keeping this team without corporate support.

Tampa Bay this year is the second highest ticket in the league at 90 a game. Obviously, Tampa and Buffalo are both cities going in completely different directions (not to mention corporate influence) but they are still considered a small market team. I believe they also have a waiting list, and you can't really say they have a die hard fanbase like the bills (Giants playoff game last year anyone? Giants fans filled that stadium).

And the Giants (who historically have had the same families passing seats down from generation to generation) now have to pay Personal Seat Licenses, when their seats are anything but personal! They have to split them with Jets fans! Obviously the Giants play in New York, and those seats will go no matter what, but they are losing out on their blue collar fan base that had gone to games for 40 years. Imagine having to pay $30,000 (or more) to sit in a seat you have sat in for 40 years, plus pay for every game ticket. So honey, do pay for Suzie's college this year or pay for Giants season tickets?

I personally would take a 200 dollar hit a year if I knew the Bills could say. I know a lot of people would disagree. But I would frankly cut off my leg to see this team win a Super Bowl.

Do you guys agree or disagree? The one hole in my argument I can see is IF the influx of 10-20 bucks a seat would do any good WITHOUT solid corporate support. Dallas is selling their suites at 250,000 a pop, while Buffalo is lucky to get 8-10,000. It seems like Dallas and Washington and New York could make more money than the bills in one year on 200 corporate suites alone compared to 10 years of 71,000 paying fans.

I would easily pay more. Lower bowl tickets in Buffalo are a steal. Absolute steal. I know the money is in the suites.....however, 65,000 season tickets next year at 10 or 20 more is a hell of a lot more money too per game. Anything helps. 1.5 mor million from regular tickets closes that 4 million dollar gap per game they are getting in Toronto.

With those prices? Hell no....Just like the Leafs games.....nothing but "suits" will be there!

Yea I know that is the whole point of keeping the game in "optimal conditions." The NFL doesn't want another London game where the teams scored a total of 10 points. But as I said, they are Canadians, they know what cold feels like. Do you think Dick has any say?

Guest dog14787
Does anybody know (or think) that there might be a chance that the Toronto game would open the dome? I would feel a lot more comfortable about the game if they at least kept the weather as close to Orchard Park as possible. I mean, Canadians are Canadians after all, and they know cold just like us. I am assuming it is Rogers has the final say. But does anyone remember the preseason game? I am pretty sure I read all over that it was Jauron's decision to close the dome to prepare the team for the same environment come December. You think he might have a say for the Miami game?

Just what we need, do you guys realize TE does not play well in bad weather, we have one of the most accurate QB's in the league so lets throw some wind and snow on the situation to even the playing Field out, GEEESH :nana: