Question about deferring

You choose to defer, so you can have choice at the beginning of the 2nd half. This means that the Bills can still get the ball in the 2nd half, where if they elected to kick the ball (at the beginning), the Raiders can choose to receive in the 2nd half (as well)

Whats the point of deferring? why not just pick to receive or something? I dont get this new rule.

This rule is the same as high school now (and I believe college).

If you elect to receive, then the other team receives in the 2nd half.

If you elect to kickoff, then the other team gets the ball in BOTH halves (because they make the choice in the 2nd half).

If you elect to defer, then you get to elect to receive/kickoff in the 2nd half instead.

I really dont know why they felt the need to make it that complicated...you win the toss you elect to kick or receive and get the opposite to start the second half....i dont get it

why is that complicated?

Wrestling has had that since the 80's (the coin flip after the 1st period). I'm sure if high school wrestlers can figure it out - an NFL coach can keep track of it.

I really dont know why they felt the need to make it that complicated...you win the toss you elect to kick or receive and get the opposite to start the second half....i dont get it

It allows you to bank on weather. So, if you know that the rainstorm will subside by the end of the 1st half, then defer and take the ball in the 2nd half

Its about the weather, mostly. Deferring allows you to make the choice during the second half. Depending on which way the wind is blowing, you can choose the side that gives you the advantage if you need to kick a field goal at the end, or put the wind in the face of the opponent if they need to kick. Playing at the Ralph, deferring is the best option.

Also, if your team is getting smacked, or wants to "make a statement" on the first drive of the second half, deferring gives you the option to receive.

Deferring enables you get have the chance of getting an extra possession during the game. If the other team has the last "real" possession (not simply a kneel down to finish the half) deferring has no benefit but if your team ends up with the last possession of the 1st half then your team can get two straight possessions (as you will again get the ball to begin the second half.) Having a 50/50 shot of an extra possession each game makes deferring worth while Imo.

Guest dog14787

Its about attitude, stop them on the first drive and you have turned the tide in your favor. If you are ahead at half its a double wammy, if behind it gives you a boost coming out of the gate in the 2nd half.

Deferring to me is a wise choice :thumbsup: