Michael Huff Vs. Donte Whitner

But was it more of an insurance policy? IF JP doesn't work out, here's our fall back position. And maybe they felt there was a good chance the fall back position might work out better than JP, though I'd be real shocked if anyone thought he'd develop as fast as he has. What's happened with him kind of reminds me of how things started with Brady, except he played entire year, but not many other options as Bledsoe was still out. And he had a much better team around him.

I don't think they would have picked Trent, if they didn't believe he could be a quality starter in the NFL. By taking him late in the 3rd, though, they didn't have to position him as the "new QB of the Bills". That was the best situation for both guys, IMO, and one of the few times the Bills didn't screw up with their young QB (JP or Trent).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But was it more of an insurance policy? IF JP doesn't work out, here's our fall back position. And maybe they felt there was a good chance the fall back position might work out better than JP, though I'd be real shocked if anyone thought he'd develop as fast as he has. What's happened with him kind of reminds me of how things started with Brady, except he played entire year, but not many other options as Bledsoe was still out. And he had a much better team around him.

Yes, I think almost everyone is surprised how fast Trent has developed. I certainly am.

Yes, I think almost everyone is surprised how fast Trent has developed. I certainly am.

That Marv is a wiley one...I also love what Modrak has done for us so far. I'm OK with some of our top picks - but deep in the late rounds is where our scouting staff has shined. I really like Steve Johnson this year.

But man they sure whiffed on Wright the RB...

And someone mentioned earlier - good DTs are rare. So are good safeties. But a good DT will make an above average safety "look" great.

C

You didn't really put a kicker on that list, did you?

Of course not. Kickers are irrelevant players (Martin Grammatica) who hardly ever have any impact on the game's outcome (Scott Norwood). They cannot be relied upon (Steve Christie), wouldn't know the meaning of clutch if you spelled it out to them (Adam Vinatieri), have absolutely no toughness @ all (Lou Groza, George Blanda), and certainly have no business even being mentioned for the Hall of Fame (Jan Stenerud).

Of course not. Kickers are irrelevant players (Martin Grammatica) who hardly ever have any impact on the game's outcome (Scott Norwood). They cannot be relied upon (Steve Christie), wouldn't know the meaning of clutch if you spelled it out to them (Adam Vinatieri), have absolutely no toughness @ all (Lou Groza, George Blanda), and certainly have no business even being mentioned for the Hall of Fame (Jan Stenerud).

Nicely played.

Last two posts got a chuckle outta me.

I would have picked Ngrittya! The man is a beast and it was really plain to see before he was a pro. I also liked Cutler but doubted we needed him after 06 (think back).

I like Mr. Whitner though, it is all good (although I think there were other FA options and 2 drafts since that coulda been used for SS). All that being said, now I hope he is one of the best ever and we hold on to him for years. I think Huff is a good FS too BTW. Too bad good players have to go to bad teams.

I know there have been many threads dedicated to the selection of Donte Whitner at number 8 and whether or not he was/is worth it.

But three seasons later, isn't it odd to think about our defense if Huff actually fell to us and we selected him over Whitner? I'm not going to totally dog Huff because I can't imagine how difficult it must be to develop as a player in Oakland. But Whitner clearly has leadership ability that you don't find too often. I just keep feeling better and better about that pick, and I think we lucked out with Huff going to Oakland.

the bills would have taken whitner over huff anyway. they obviously targeted him and i think the deciding factor was that whitner is much more physical and multidimensional than huff is.