Biden taking it to the streets!

finknottle

Fierce words from the Delaware senator in his new road show they call 'Bush 44'

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13433.html

“John just doesn’t get it,” Biden continued. “John’s answer to your health care problems is — seriously, this is not a joke — John wants to, his answer is he’s going to give a tax credit, and the way he’s going to pay for that tax credit is to tax everybody who has health insurance.” The audience booed.

Can anyone explain to me how, if you substitute income for health insurance, this doesn't describe Obama?

Fierce words from the Delaware senator in his new road show they call 'Bush 44'

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13433.html

Can anyone explain to me how, if you substitute income for health insurance, this doesn't describe Obama?

Because as we saw in the last $400 billion give away to drug companies during medicare reform all anyone got was wasted tax payer money, increases in prices and very little new benefits. So unless you require it, it will only come back to haunt us and we as tax payers will be forking out more money to cover those that don't have coverage who show up at emergency rooms instead of their doctor or some clinic for some basic preventative medicine that could have avoided a more extensive problem.

If it is a targeted tax cut for the insuree for health care costs and it could reimburse states as well, I am all for it. Otherwise, such a tax cut does little for me right now. I have enough write-offs with where the stock market, the real-estate market and my business goes. I could use some state tax relief, because as Bush has cut taxes, states have raised them.

There was a much more thorough thread on health care earlier this spring/summer with some really good links. It died b/c everyone's too busy calling Obama a covert Muslim and saying there's nothing of substance or saying that JMac insults adolescents, has Alzheimer's and can't turn on a computer.

And then people (especially here) have the gall to bemoan that candidates campaign with vagaries. Well, hey, there WAS something of substance to discuss, and yet it was largely ignored, even in a place supposedly devoted to politics. Sad fact that they can't hold Americans' attention spans enough to explain even a modicum of detail, even to those who say they want to hear the details (hint: they really don't).

In fact, there was recently an update on the Romney & Massachusetts legislature mandatory health insurance plan that's now getting some positive reviews after some initial bumps in the road.

As I remember, McCain's plan essentially encourages businesses to drop health plans and pay people the difference in salaries (As with 'trickle-down' economics I have my doubts about that happening), at which point, people will buy plans on their own initiative and then be taxed for plans over $5,000 (see: everyone who has insurance will be getting a tax increase. Yeh, Republicans!). He also wants to cut service costs (good luck with that) before encouraging enrollment of the un/under-insured. My read is that basically, it doesn't do anything to help the current situation and his taxing plan will likely contribute to the number of people w/o insurance.

Obama, OTOH, wants to essentially allow/ensure people continue their employer plans, or get people enrolled (I forget if it'd be mandatory, but I doubt it) and pay into a govt plan, probably with a sliding scale, more or less a nationalization of the Mass. principle, but with certain differences. Then he wants to work on decreasing service costs. This augments the current situation and one would hope decreases the use of costly emergency rooms for routine problems... only question is cost (tho, that's a pretty important question) and if there is the political will in DC to enact this, even small-scale.

(Edited)

There was a much more thorough thread on health care earlier this spring/summer with some really good links. It died b/c everyone's too busy calling Obama a covert Muslim and saying there's nothing of substance or saying that JMac insults adolescents, has Alzheimer's and can't turn on a computer.

And then people (especially here) have the gall to bemoan that candidates campaign with vagaries. Well, hey, there WAS something of substance to discuss, and yet it was largely ignored, even in a place supposedly devoted to politics. Sad fact that they can't hold Americans' attention spans enough to explain even a modicum of detail, even to those who say they want to hear the details (hint: they really don't).

In fact, there was recently an update on the Romney & Massachusetts legislature mandatory health insurance plan that's now getting some positive reviews after some initial bumps in the road.

Which health care plan is better (and I think they both miss the key issue) is a topic meriting its own debate.

I just want to know why Bidens ridicule of the plan as a transfer from the haves to the have nots is supposed to be effective when it also describes Obama's income tax policy. Substitute income tax for health insurance and you have a typical Republican ad.

Is it an attention span problem, or a knowledge problem?

Yes.

The first largely feeding the second. Whence, people fall back on good ol' partisanship.

Actually, I think it was because the topics ran their course. Both plans are pretty well understood - they are what they are. There are a few areas of uncertaintity, like what Obama's penalty will be for businesses who can not offer coverage, but the core of the plans seem clear.

Yes.

The first largely feeding the second. Whence, people fall back on good ol' partisanship.

I believe it works the opposite way. People don't have a solid knowledge base on health care issues, and there aren't immediate and obvious benefits to them learning about health care issues as a matter of voting, which leads to ignoring the issue.

I believe it works the opposite way. People don't have a solid knowledge base on health care issues, and there aren't immediate and obvious benefits to them learning about health care issues as a matter of voting, which leads to ignoring the issue.

More like:

"Oh. Health care? Hmm. Uhhh.... Hmm. Lots of numbers here. Oh, look, a text message from Andy!...."

More like:

"Oh. Health care? Hmm. Uhhh.... Hmm. Lots of numbers here. Oh, look, a text message from Andy!...."

What is the incentive for someone to learn about the health care plans? Health Care, while seen as a problem, is actually fairly low on the totem poll according to the polls I've seen. I imagine this is due to the large number of people in the US with health care.

In addition, I suspect that many of the people without health care don't have the easy access to information that we do.

• 2 weeks later...
Joe is back, and he is on fire! This is one angry poilitician!

http://time-blog.com/real_clear_politics/2..._in_americ.html

Move over Al Gore - it turns out that Biden was the first to raise the alarm about global warming :nana:

I'm telling you, it's becoming increasingly clear; Biden is throwing the game so Obama can justifiably dump him to get Hillary on what is quickly becoming a losing ticket.

I'm telling you, it's becoming increasingly clear; Biden is throwing the game so Obama can justifiably dump him to get Hillary on what is quickly becoming a losing ticket.

Biden has had a long history of sticking foot in mouth disease. He was added for foreign policy credentials just as Sarah was added to appeal to woman and the right wing. Neither was a good choice just as neither of the candidates themselves are good choices.