Let's Talk O line

shadowdog69

Last week the O line was the best that i have seen them in what seems like years. Honestly, when they can hold of guys like Taylor, Bowans and company than they r doing awsome. I'm not huge on stats, but i don't even think taylor got a sack. On some plays Bledsoe had all day to throw the ball!! Willis was also getting a few nice blocks by this line and they were creating holes. We always cut the O line up when we r sucking, but i think they were a huge contributor last game and deserve the props. Mcnally might have started the process of leaving his mark. Any thoughts or thoughts on how they'll do this week?

It is a testament to how horrible this O-line is that an average performance is rated as awesome.

They definitely played a solid game on Sunday. Inexplicably, the Miami D did not blitz much. In previous games, this O-line could not block 4 rushers with 6 blockers. Sunday they were able to do that.

There were not many holes for Willis to run through. All of his yards were after he got hit by at least one tackler. Willis refused to go down, and made the O-line look like they were actaully doing something.

The only thing I was impressed with was that the over-rated Jason Taylor didn't do a thing. That was solid.

This line still has not demonstrated the ability to 1) Open a hole on 3rd and 1 2) Handle pressure and blitzing up the middle 3) Handle stunts and other plays designed to screw up the protection

I hope they continue to improve but the #1 reason this team has been mediocre and worse for the last 10 years (save 1 playoff appearance) has been the unwillingness of our GMs to address the O-line seriously.

RunTheBall

The way I see it, If they are able to hold up even reasonably well (@2 sacks, 1 INT, 3.5 ypc) this weekend on the road against the Ravens D, then it will show that there is not a defense in the league that this line can't atleast move the ball against.

It is a testament to how horrible this O-line is that an average performance is rated as awesome.

They definitely played a solid game on Sunday. Inexplicably, the Miami D did not blitz much. In previous games, this O-line could not block 4 rushers with 6 blockers. Sunday they were able to do that.

There were not many holes for Willis to run through. All of his yards were after he got hit by at least one tackler. Willis refused to go down, and made the O-line look like they were actaully doing something.

The only thing I was impressed with was that the over-rated Jason Taylor didn't do a thing. That was solid.

This line still has not demonstrated the ability to 1) Open a hole on 3rd and 1 2) Handle pressure and blitzing up the middle 3) Handle stunts and other plays designed to screw up the protection

I hope they continue to improve but the #1 reason this team has been mediocre and worse for the last 10 years (save 1 playoff appearance) has been the unwillingness of our GMs to address the O-line seriously.

RunTheBall

80474[/snapback]

That's one of the big mysteries from last week's game: why didn't Miami blitz the heck out of Bledsoe, who has difficulty handling blitzes, when they blitzed the heck out of Brady, who beats blitzes all the time, the week before? Very puzzling.

Even so, I was impressed at how well the offensive line did against Miami. I hope they continue to improve and develop into a solid unit that can be relied upon.

That's one of the big mysteries from last week's game:  why didn't Miami blitz the heck out of Bledsoe, who has difficulty handling blitzes, when they blitzed the heck out of Brady, who beats blitzes all the time,  the week before?  Very puzzling. 

80495[/snapback]

Uh...because they suck? :lol: Real train-wreck of a team at this point.

As for the Bills O-line...their improvement is encouraging. I can't help wondering how much of the improvement in pass blocking had to do with having Henry on the bench and McGahee in, though. McGahee's blitz pickup isn't perfect...but he's so obviously better than Henry that it's doesn't excatly say much about Henry's game...

That's one of the big mysteries from last week's game:  why didn't Miami blitz the heck out of Bledsoe, who has difficulty handling blitzes, when they blitzed the heck out of Brady, who beats blitzes all the time,  the week before?  Very puzzling. 

Even so, I was impressed at how well the offensive line did against Miami.  I hope they continue to improve and develop into a solid unit that can be relied upon.

80495[/snapback]

Evans might have backed them off a bit. After watching him get deep the three previous games, and then burning the defense on the overthrow to start the game, he might have been enough to hold back the blitz.

Moulds is also having a great season. It's hard to blitz when you need to double two receivers.

Campbell is also catching more passes lately, which will also help to counter the rush.

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday

Even so, I was impressed at how well the offensive line did against Miami.  I hope they continue to improve and develop into a solid unit that can be relied upon.

80495[/snapback]

It's obvious, actually - the reason they didn't blitz is because they had NO respect for our o-line - they figured they'd be able to generate consistent pressure with only their d-linemen. Clearly, they overrated their d-linemen.