This guy is detached from reality

Jonah Goldberg? You're right. That guy is nuts. And is one of the biggest "party hacks" that he denigrates. :w00t:

The fact is a lot of blacks votes didn't get counted in Florida as they intended or tried to vote, and the blacks and democrats were and are pissed. The other fact is, the blacks and democrats need to shut up and take some responsibility and just make sure they know where to vote and how to vote. IF what they say is true, and that's a big if, then the number that wanted to vote and were "disenfranchised" will be counted this time and Kerry will likely win Florida. If not, tough luck.

Jonah Goldberg? You're right. That guy is nuts. And is one of the biggest "party hacks" that he denigrates.  :w00t:

The fact is a lot of blacks votes didn't get counted in Florida as they intended or tried to vote, and the blacks and democrats were and are pissed. The other fact is, the blacks and democrats need to shut up and take some responsibility and just make sure they know where to vote and how to vote. IF what they say is true, and that's a big if, then the number that wanted to vote and were "disenfranchised" will be counted this time and Kerry will likely win Florida. If not, tough luck.

80311[/snapback]

We'll see about that:

Check out This column, the author states:

This week, for example, they gave some eye-opening comments on the much-ballyhooed increase in voter turnout this year.

Gerry Daly of dalythoughts.com crunched some Harris Poll numbers to see what it would take for John Kerry to overtake President Bush due entirely to increased turnout. He found that Kerry will need 9.6 million new voters. And he doesn't mean new voters between the ages of 18-21 who've never been able to vote for president before. He means "nearly 10 million people, aged 22 and over, who did not vote in 2000 but are going to this year."

"Maybe," Daly writes, "there is such antipathy towards George W. Bush that will bring voters out even more than the candidacy of Ross Perot did [in 1992]. We'll know in less than two weeks. If there are, then the Harris poll suggests that Kerry is in the ballpark. If these votes do not materialize, the Harris poll suggests that it will be a short night a week from Tuesday."

I think Kery's not only going to lose this election, but if numbers hold up as they are in PA and MI, this election will be a rout for GWB.

You heard it here first. National polls mean nothing. Look to the states, Kelly. Look to the states.

We'll see about that:

Check out This column, the author states:

This week, for example, they gave some eye-opening comments on the much-ballyhooed increase in voter turnout this year.

Gerry Daly of dalythoughts.com crunched some Harris Poll numbers to see what it would take for John Kerry to overtake President Bush due entirely to increased turnout. He found that Kerry will need 9.6 million new voters. And he doesn't mean new voters between the ages of 18-21 who've never been able to vote for president before. He means "nearly 10 million people, aged 22 and over, who did not vote in 2000 but are going to this year."

"Maybe," Daly writes, "there is such antipathy towards George W. Bush that will bring voters out even more than the candidacy of Ross Perot did [in 1992]. We'll know in less than two weeks. If there are, then the Harris poll suggests that Kerry is in the ballpark. If these votes do not materialize, the Harris poll suggests that it will be a short night a week from Tuesday."

I think Kery's not only going to lose this election, but if numbers hold up as they are in PA and MI, this election will be a rout for GWB.

You heard it here first. National polls mean nothing. Look to the states, Kelly. Look to the states.

80369[/snapback]

I was just in Pennsylvania and spoke with a very politically active woman there for a couple days. She came from Washington to work on the Kerry campaign there. And I know her well, for 20+ years. She tells it straight, and I said don't sugarcoat it (she wouldnt anyway) and she says "it's all but a lock". They have more volunteers than they need. They think he's going to win by several points. Unless something drastic happens, I would bet you anything that Kerry wins PA.

I was just in Pennsylvania and spoke with a very politically active woman there for a couple days. She came from Washington to work on the Kerry campaign there. And I know her well, for 20+ years. She tells it straight, and I said don't sugarcoat it (she wouldnt anyway) and she says "it's all but a lock". They have more volunteers than they need. They think he's going to win by several points. Unless something drastic happens, I would bet you anything that Kerry wins PA.

80390[/snapback]

Well being a RESIDENT of the Lehigh Valley, I can assure you that the ABE region, not to mention the Philly Suburbs are HIGHLY likely to break for Bush. If that happens, it's gonna take shenanigans from Rendell in Harrisburg and Street in Philadelphia to deliver the state for Kerry.

What else would you expect a partisan to say? Bush has had an incredibly high profile here. He knows where his Pennsylvania bread is buttered...outside Philly and Pittsburgh. All he has to do is win the Lehigh Valley, the middle of the state and some of the far Northeast (around Scranton) and he WILL win the state.

If he does win the state, Kerry is dead.

Well being a RESIDENT of the Lehigh Valley, I can assure you that the ABE region, not to mention the Philly Suburbs are HIGHLY likely to break for Bush. If that happens, it's gonna take shenanigans from Rendell in Harrisburg and Street in Philadelphia to deliver the state for Kerry.

What else would you expect a partisan to say? Bush has had an incredibly high profile here. He knows where his Pennsylvania bread is buttered...outside Philly and Pittsburgh. All he has to do is win the Lehigh Valley, the middle of the state and some of the far Northeast (around Scranton) and he WILL win the state.

80400[/snapback]

Well, living in the Philly 'burbs and having just attended a political event, PA is not a lock for Bush. The Republicans know this, and are pushing hard. They know that it is possible to steal PA, but they know that victory is not certain. One of the issues they are concerned with, is absentee ballots namely absentee ballots for military personnel. Since the ballots were sent out so late (thanks Dems), the miltary personnel may not have the time to return their ballots before Nov. 2. Therefore, all of these votes will not be counted.

80400[/snapback]

You're absolutely right, if Kerry doesn't win PA he's dead. But that ain't gonna happen. Keep dreaming.

Kerry only has to break even in the Philly suburbs to win. I know this is hard to take but a Kerry win will have nothing to do with imagined shenanigans.

I know you see things differently but what else would we expect a partisan to say?

I know this is hard to take but a Kerry win will have nothing to do with imagined shenanigans. 

80424[/snapback]

Oh no, lying to black Philadelphians and hiring felons to help fill out the rolls in Philly aren't shenanigans. No, they're not the same old tried and true tricks.

BEAR IN MIND that Philadelphia NEARLY elected a Republican mayor last time around. There are votes there for Bush.

And I don't think Kerry will break even in the burbs. He'll have to hope that the black vote isinflated, as it's the one sure thing he does have in the state.

Oh, and as an aside, I'm no partisan. I don't work for either campaign.

Oh no, lying to black Philadelphians and hiring felons to help fill out the rolls in Philly aren't shenanigans. No, they're not the same old tried and true tricks.

BEAR IN MIND that Philadelphia NEARLY elected a Republican mayor last time around. There are votes there for Bush.

And I don't think Kerry will break even in the burbs. He'll have to hope that the black vote isinflated, as it's the one sure thing he does have in the state.

Oh, and as an aside, I'm no partisan. I don't work for either campaign.

80451[/snapback]

Not sure you want to debate the Republican shenanigans in the Philly race. They were shameful at best.

If by partisan I mean you don't want Kerry to win, then you're partisan. If you don't vote for Kerry you're voting for Bush.

Not sure you want to debate the Republican shenanigans in the Philly race.  They were shameful at best. 

If by partisan I mean you don't want Kerry to win, then you're partisan.  If you don't vote for Kerry you're voting for Bush.

80522[/snapback]

For all you know I could be voting for Ken Crippen.

I've never in my adult life voted for a Dem or A Republican for president.

In 92, I voted for Perot.

In 96 I voted Libertarian.

in 2000 I voted Libertarian.

This year will mark the first time since I turned 18 that I will vote for a republican for President. Why? Because the thought of John Kerry as president TERRIFIES me.

The thought that a man would subjugate our national interests to please the European community TERRIFIES me.

The idea that there's actually a Ivy-league educated person out there who believes hiking takes on the top 2% of Americans will save social security and get rid of the deficit REALLY TERRIFIES me because I know what will happen in the end: He'll raise my taxes.

As much as I hate Bush's overspending, at least he cut my taxes and by a good portion.

For all you know I could be voting for Ken Crippen.

I've never in my adult life voted for a Dem or A Republican for president.

In 92, I voted for Perot.

In 96 I voted Libertarian.

in 2000 I voted Libertarian.

This year will mark the first time since I turned 18 that I will vote for a republican for President. Why? Because the thought of John Kerry as president TERRIFIES me.

The thought that a man would subjugate our national interests to please the European community TERRIFIES me.

The idea that there's actually a Ivy-league educated person out there who believes hiking takes on the top 2% of Americans will save social security and get rid of the deficit REALLY TERRIFIES me because I know what will happen in the end: He'll raise my taxes.

As much as I hate Bush's overspending, at least he cut my taxes and by a good portion.

80626[/snapback]

You forgot giving health care to about 50,000,000 people.

80626[/snapback]

So as much as you hate the fact that Bush is spending money we don't have, you appreciate that he is further reducing our revenue, so you can spend the money on what that is more important than defending our country?

The idea that Bush feels we should start wars and bear no fiscal responsibility for them TERRIFIES ME.

Good luck living, great grand-kids, at least Ol' Great Grandpa Joe got to have a little more money in his pocket.

So as much as you hate the fact that Bush is spending money we don't have, you appreciate that he is further reducing our revenue, so you can spend the money on what that is more important than defending our country?

The idea that Bush feels we should start wars and bear no fiscal responsibility for them TERRIFIES ME.

Good luck living, great grand-kids, at least Ol' Great Grandpa Joe got to have a little more money in his pocket.

80676[/snapback]

Don't use "fiscal responsibility" and either of these buffoons in the same sentence.

Neither of these parties are even remotely responsible with our money. John Kerry's "plans" will bankrupt us with at least the same speed as the current administration.

BTW, Congress will have to act soon to increase the debt ceiling because we've already reached it. They'll probably try and hold off until after the election.

This year, $.06 of every dollar the behemoth steals goes to pay our foriegn creditors.

BTW, Congress will have to act soon to increase the debt ceiling because we've already reached it.  They'll probably try and hold off until after the election.

80692[/snapback]

Not just "already reached" it...Treasury is actually borrowing money from the government pension fund to pay the bills.

I'm amazed this board never picked up on that story...

Neither of these parties are even remotely responsible with our money.  John Kerry's "plans" will bankrupt us with at least the same speed as the current administration.

BTW, Congress will have to act soon to increase the debt ceiling because we've already reached it.  They'll probably try and hold off until after the election.

This year, $.06 of every dollar the behemoth steals goes to pay our foriegn creditors.

80692[/snapback]

I think you're proving my point here. I don't reasonably expect that most of our real problems will be solved under any of the next three administrations. Problems are systemic, neither of these candidates are revolutionary -- the media wouldn't deem them electable if they were -- and a lot of damage has been done. Kerry has said he would roll back some programs he holds dear he has to. Bush has said no such thing about his tax cuts even as we bankrupt ourselves and look at the prospect of an unending war.

The government is a behemoth and it's feeding its big brother OmniCorporation pretty well these days. Both are screwing us all.

edited. I screwed up earlier and DID use Bush and fiscal responsibility in the same sentence -- my mistake! :lol:

I think you're proving my point here.  I don't reasonably expect that most of our real problems will be solved under any of the next three administrations.  Problems are systemic, neither of these candidates are revolutionary -- the media wouldn't deem them electable if they were -- and a lot of damage has been done.  Kerry has said he would roll back some programs he holds dear he has to.  Bush has said no such thing about his tax cuts even as we bankrupt ourselves and look at the prospect of an unending war.

The government is a behemoth and it's feeding its big brother OmniCorporation pretty well these days.  Both are screwing us all.

edited.  I screwed up earlier and DID use Bush and fiscal responsibility in the same sentence -- my mistake!  :lol:

80713[/snapback]

You're wrong on your analysis. No Democrat or Republican administration is going to fix anything. And the populous is apparently too stupid or spineless to do anything about it.

You're wrong on your analysis.  No Democrat or Republican administration is going to fix anything.  And the populous is apparently too stupid or spineless to do anything about it.

80728[/snapback]

Yeah, like stand up and offer an alternative. God knows you won't see that kind of courage around here.

You're wrong on your analysis.  No Democrat or Republican administration is going to fix anything.  And the populous is apparently too stupid or spineless to do anything about it.

80728[/snapback]

We disagree in that I don't have a lot of faith in the system but I do think there are a few good politicians out there. Again I am not sure that Kerry is one of them but I think he would listen to them. I could see myself receding into complete cynicism with another Bush victory with a monolithic ruling party though.

As regards the populace, it is a combination of stupid, spineless, controlled and disenfranchised -- the latter in the sense that there are a lot of good people out there who know they wouldn't stand a chance against the larger evil. There was a great guy who ran a Wellstone-esque Congressional campaign against Amo Houghton a few years back. He didn't stand a chance against Houghton and his accumulated wealth and power. In turn good people like this just give up and don't even try, and try to make their small difference elsewhere. Where do we find real election reform to support these people if our elected officials won't give it to us -- honest question?