Back To Life....Back To Reality

R. Rich

Well, the fun's over, I'm back @ work, and Baltimore still sucks.

The tailgate was a lot of fun as usual. Great food (I can't wait for some more stromboli!!!!) and great fun w/ good friends. Thanks to everyone who helped set it up. It was nice seeing all of my friends and it was nice meeting those of you who I haven't met before.

As for the game....

1. I was perhaps most impressed by the constant pressure from our interior D linemen. I can't recall a time where we saw that kind of heat from the inside guys before. It was wonderful to see. But...

2. There were moments when the middle was soft vs the run. No way Maurice Morris and/or Julius Jones should be ripping off big gains right up the gut. That is something that will need to be shored up quickly.

3. Trent looked awful @ times, especially early on. I saw a lot of off target throws, even the ones that were completions. I think he did settle down and find some sort of rhythm though. He made some excellent throws , like that bomb to Evans. I like how the game plan wasn't conservative, as if they were afraid to let the guy throw the ball down the field.

4. We need a LOT more out of the DEs and the LBs in terms of pass rush (DEs) and coverage (LBs). Seattle moved the ball a bit once they figured out our LBs had trouble covering the pass. Let's hope that gets worked on this week.

5. Special teams! Outstanding. Not only in the creativity (the fake FG), but also in their execution and toughness (nice hit by Ko that forced the fumble). Burleson did have some decent returns, but overall, this was an incredible job by the Bills best unit.

What a way to start the season! It sure made my 6 plus hour drive home enjoyable. There's a lot to be optimistic 'bout w/ this team. Let's hope it only gets better from here.

2. There were moments when the middle was soft vs the run. No way Maurice Morris and/or Julius Jones should be ripping off big gains right up the gut. That is something that will need to be shored up quickly.

I missed this part. The Seahawks had 11 rushing yards in the 1st half, with no run longer than 5 yards. When the game was still in the balance, the Seahawks always seemed to be in 3rd & 8. They punted a franchise-record 11 times. Getting gashed up the middle from the opening whistle and losing the time of possession and field position battles (and probably the game) is one thing. Giving up a few bursts when you're winning by 24 is not a major cause for concern, IMO. Especially when you consider the way the D-Line was in Hasselbeck's face disrupting the passing game all day...Once they got the lead, they likely were licking their chops a bit and anticipating pass, leaving themselves susceptable to the draw play.

FWIW, it seemed that Poz wasn't as active as he was in his short stint last year, which was somewhat surprising.

I missed this part. The Seahawks had 11 rushing yards in the 1st half, with no run longer than 5 yards. When the game was still in the balance, the Seahawks always seemed to be in 3rd & 8. They punted a franchise-record 11 times. Getting gashed up the middle from the opening whistle and losing the time of possession and field position battles (and probably the game) is one thing. Giving up a few bursts when you're winning by 24 is not a major cause for concern, IMO. Especially when you consider the way the D-Line was in Hasselbeck's face disrupting the passing game all day...Once they got the lead, they likely were licking their chops a bit and anticipating pass, leaving themselves susceptable to the draw play.

True, it did not happen very often (hence the term, "there were moments"). Still, we cannot afford to give up running plays up the gut as the linemen decide to just cut loose. That worked on a team w/ no viable running game....it will not work against a team like Jacksonville, who will attempt to run the ball 'tween the tackles often.

FWIW, it seemed that Poz wasn't as active as he was in his short stint last year, which was somewhat surprising.

I thought he was active enough, but in terms of coverage, he looked lost. I think the LBs as a group really need to work hard this week to get that straightened out.

I thought he was active enough, but in terms of coverage, he looked lost. I think the LBs as a group really need to work hard this week to get that straightened out.

Funny you say that; I thought Poz played MUCH better in coverage than I expected. He was in on at least two pass breakups and didn't appear to be a liability at all.

Interesting how two people can see something completely opposite.

Funny you say that; I thought Poz played MUCH better in coverage than I expected. He was in on at least two pass breakups and didn't appear to be a liability at all.

Interesting how two people can see something completely opposite.

He did have a really nice breakup late in the game, but there were too many instances when any of the LBs just couldn't diagnose and get to the play in time. Hopefully, it was a glitch. If not, teams will be throwing a lot of passes their way this season.

I really hope that Trent figures out his issues with inclement weather... He did settle in nicely... it could have been some jitters at the start too, so he gets a pass from me on the early performance.

With the LB play... let's not forget what happened on FRIDAY before the game, it had to change things up with putting Crowell on IR and throwing a different starting LB in there with so little notice. I would expect to see improvement as they get more playing time together. This is a completely new LB unit... A Backup, A rookie off of IR, and a FA acquisition... + a new DL and the standing up scheme too... They did very well, and I expect they'll improve as they work together.

That was a "Special" game in terms of ST... It was great to watch, but they cannot depend on that type of performance week in and week out... we have great ST, but they aren't always going to Win the game on their own (14 + TD off a turnover). Fortunately, the offense seems to play better so we won't need that type of performance... they were just plain awesome. Get Well Roscoe... hope those Ribs don't keep him out of the Jax game - if they do, I wonder if McKelvin get's a shot at PR?

5. Special teams! Outstanding. Not only in the creativity (the fake FG), but also in their execution and toughness (nice hit by Ko that forced the fumble). Burleson did have some decent returns, but overall, this was an incredible job by the Bills best unit.

My only correction is that it was Corto that forced the fumble on the Kickoff. Corto was a madman last Sunday. Great blocks on returns. Two great hits on coverage -- one that forced the fumble, one stuff on the next kick return.

As for the game....

4. We need a LOT more out of the DEs and the LBs in terms of pass rush (DEs) and coverage (LBs). Seattle moved the ball a bit once they figured out our LBs had trouble covering the pass. Let's hope that gets worked on this week.

Sorry for doing this, but they are what We thought they were. We'll get more sacks, and be far more versatile on defense this year, because of the presence of Stroud, Mitchell, healthy Poz, improved secondary. However outside of schobel, the ends themselves aren't gonna beat down doors anytime soon. It's a weakness, that can be covered up for the year, but will need to be addressed in next years draft. Mitchell has always been a bit of a stiff in coverage, so it's expected. The guy offers good size decent speed, and plays the run and blitzes well. I don't ever remember Poz being good in coverage, but I think Ellison will be a bright spot there. I still dont trust the guy over the long haul against the run, but we'll see.