Anyone watch Fringe?

rovey1961

I gotta admit I liked it way more than I thought I would. I usually don't care for SCIFI stuff, but it had enough of a Lost-type feel that I was decently into it. I'll take Tgreg99's advice and give it another few episodes. Nothing brilliant, but promising.

I know there's not a tie in to Lost ... they just loved Lance on the show so they put him in Fringe.

Fringe really takes till episode 3 to take off. But it's worth the wait.

I didn't watch it, but the previews kind of looked like a takeoff on Threshold a one season series from a couple years back?

Thought it sucked. Idiotic plot and pitiful acting.

I'm a Sci-fi guy and am used to scenarios that are "out there" - As a matter of fact, the more, the better. But this was just plain...I dunno...awful is the best word I can use. Like: ok we'll just let the insane scientist out of the state hospital with a roque FBI agent so he can restablish his illegal lab at an Ivy league university. Come on.... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thought it sucked. Idiotic plot and pitiful acting.

I'm a Sci-fi guy and am used to scenarios that are "out there" - As a matter of fact, the more, the better. But this was just plain...I dunno...awful is the best word I can use. Like: ok we'll just let the insane scientist out of the state hospital with a roque FBI agent so he can restablish his illegal lab at an Ivy league university. Come on.... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

These situations happen in real life more than you could imagine. Do you think our government or any other government plays by the rules when you're not looking?

Just got done watching the first two episodes. So far I'd say, not bad. Not great, but enough that I'll give it a shot. Some thoughts:

- Obviously reality is completely blown out of the water. Hopefully that's the "plan", because if their intent is to be a bit more X-Files-ish (completely unrealistic, but done and explained in a way that actually makes you think it could possibly happen), they are WAY off base. If it's planned, and you know what you're getting into at the beginning, it's alright. It's okay to watch a show that creates it's own world, but I can't tell yet if that's what they are trying to do. There are too many cues to the contrary, which worries me.

- The acting seemed to be much better in the second episode. The old guy is good. He does the mentally unstable thing in a pretty convincing way. I don't mind the Pace (sorry, too lazy to look his name up) character so far, but it's going to get old real quick. Hopefully the writers don't try to stick with the "sarcastic disbelief" thing for too long. After seeing the things he has seen in just the first two episodes, he should have a completely open mind very quickly. The Scully character worked once, it won't work again, not in his character anyway. The woman? While gorgeous, she's not convincing me yet. I"m holding off judgment on her. Her boss is a horrible character and hopefully they have plans to give him some growth very quickly. The no emotion bit character NEVER works. Hopefully they make him a part of the story and give him something decent to work with.

- They seem to have taken the Star Trek way out of plot lines. No matter what the problem is, in this world there is a technology that can conquer it. Not sure if that's a good thing.

- I think the show has promise and could be good if it's done right. Since it's on FOX, I have every expectation it will never get that chance.

- All the points above are obviously based on just the two episodes, and most will probably get cleared up (for better or worse) during the first 6-8 episodes or so.

Not too bad... I thought ep. 1 was really pretty good.

The start reminded me of Alias and figured the guy was gonna get it as soon as he said "I love you." I thought was going to be wrong for a little while, though.

Episode 2 spoiler:

Episode 2 started with a dead old guy who's a newborn, covered in blood and with umbilical cord was still moist, all due to rapid aging. The guy's father dies later, but his hair turns gray. Either that hair has to grow really fast and long or you leave it dark. Turning it gray while keeping it short is not even close to believable.

The other thing is the secret files Agent Dunham had at her home would put her in jail. I have worked with secret documentation and you never bring stuff like that home. You don't even keep it in your office without a secure container that gets periodically checked by security.

IMDB spoiler for the first 13 episodes:

Crazy old guy is only in four episodes. :thumbsup: He's great!