WRGB in Albany

AJ1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From perusing the sports section of their Web site -- which, um, sucks -- I'm not entirely surprised. Get rid of the typos, 6albany; you're supposed to be professionals.

At any rate, POLITE calls to the station may help change their minds, since neither Indy nor Minny would seem to have a hometown presence there. I could see it if the game involved one of the Giants' NFC East rivals, but this selection doesn't make sense.

Edit: Harv, it's showing on their TV listings page. Colts-Vikes at 1, Pats*-Jest at 4.

http://www.cbs6albany.com/sections/tvlistings/

From perusing the sports section of their Web site -- which, um, sucks -- I'm not entirely surprised. Get rid of the typos, 6albany; you're supposed to be professionals.

At any rate, POLITE calls to the station may help change their minds, since neither Indy nor Minny would seem to have a hometown presence there. I could see it if the game involved one of the Giants' NFC East rivals, but this selection doesn't make sense.

Edit: Harv, it's showing on their TV listings page. Colts-Vikes at 1, Pats*-Jest at 4.

http://www.cbs6albany.com/sections/tvlistings/

I very calmly said that the Bills - Jags was a 1000 times more interesting.

Plus, who is going to call in support of their selection? One or two, max.

I was just on their site. I was hoping to e-mail them, but the only messages I could find were for news tips. So, I'll be calling them tommorrow when I get home since I don't want to call from work. I'm hoping I can keep my cool-that's why I would have preferred an e-mail. The hope is this is a mistake-one time a couple of years ago, the site had some ridiculous two midwest teams like this & when I called they told me they were showing the Bills. So until I hear it from them & tell them they are not showing a NY State team so they can show 2 teams with virtually no fans in the area, I'll hope the early listings are wrong.

I very calmly said that the Bills - Jags was a 1000 times more interesting.

Plus, who is going to call in support of their selection? One or two, max.

Yeah, I wasn't aiming that at you, AJ. Just pointing out that in general, if people call them while they're frothing at the mouth in anger (kind of like the post a couple below yours), it might not go over so well ...

Voicemail with office hours. 50 people call and we'll change this.

Call the number and hit '2' and you'll get the newsroom. Ask for the sports director and let him know your feelings. I just did.

Or you can wait until tomorrow.

Recovery Room if they don't change their mind???

Call the number and hit '2' and you'll get the newsroom. Ask for the sports director and let him know your feelings. I just did.

Or you can wait until tomorrow.

Recovery Room if they don't change their mind???

Talk to Program Director (if they have one), and/or the GM, Station Manager or even the General Sales Manager, as the news dept (where the sports director works) probably has zero input on this.

Talk to Program Director (if they have one), and/or the GM, Station Manager or even the General Sales Manager, as the news dept (where the sports director works) probably has zero input on this.

I figure one of those guys is an Indy fan. Trying to slip one past us. Let them know Bills' fans are the passionate ones of the Capital District (outside of the Giants).

I was just on their site. I was hoping to e-mail them, but the only messages I could find were for news tips. So, I'll be calling them tommorrow when I get home since I don't want to call from work. I'm hoping I can keep my cool-that's why I would have preferred an e-mail. The hope is this is a mistake-one time a couple of years ago, the site had some ridiculous two midwest teams like this & when I called they told me they were showing the Bills. So until I hear it from them & tell them they are not showing a NY State team so they can show 2 teams with virtually no fans in the area, I'll hope the early listings are wrong.

sherm@wrgb.com

I exchanged an e-mail with him regarding the last game of the 06 season. He said that CBS in NYC controls the selection. I just e-mailed him again (forwarded the old e-mail as a reminder). Maybe something will change but I doubt it. They are clueless.

The choice that was made this week makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Peyton Manning is Eli's brother and Eli plays for the Giants? That's about all I could fathom.

sherm@wrgb.com

I exchanged an e-mail with him regarding the last game of the 06 season. He said that CBS in NYC controls the selection. I just e-mailed him again (forwarded the old e-mail as a reminder). Maybe something will change but I doubt it. They are clueless.

The choice that was made this week makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Peyton Manning is Eli's brother and Eli plays for the Giants? That's about all I could fathom.

Station can petition and get it changed, can they not?

Who needs to watch more pained expressions from Peyton? Didn't we see enough to last a season on Sunday night? Earth to NYC. You didn't watch the Bills - Seahawks game, apparently, most assuredly.

Worse, the clown in charge probably doesn't realize the large number of bills' fans in the Albany market

The problem I see is that 95% of the people that want to see the game will just assume the Bills are on and then get angry at 1PM on Sunday. That will be too late. As it is now, the station will get planty of calls from dies hards that know on Tuesday night which game will air on Sunday, but most people won't know that.

One idea may be to contact a local radio guy, Paul Vandenburgh. A lot of people listen to his show in the morning. It is mostly politics, but he dabbles in everything and often discusses local TV stations and their positives and negatives. If he mentions the decision about Bills/Jags vs. Colts/Vikes on the air, the calls to the station will multiply. If you're from Albany, try e-mailing him. It's worth a shot.

http://www.talk1300.com/

Station can petition and get it changed, can they not?

Who needs to watch more pained expressions from Peyton? Didn't we see enough to last a season on Sunday night? Earth to NYC. You didn't watch the Bills - Seahawks game, apparently, most assuredly.

Worse, the clown in charge probably doesn't realize the large number of bills' fans in the Albany market

NFL Distribution Maps

This website is a great guide to what game is on where. The guy who runs it is a patsies fan, but the site is usually dead on with what game is being shown where.

Yes, the station can, typically, ask (and get) a different game from the one assigned. Depending on the clout of the station, the relationship of between the person at the station and the person at the network, and other assorted variables, it can be a fairly easy change, or a little bit of a war.

BB27, thanks for the link to the distribution map...I seemed to have misplaced it. But, as you can see, CBS is trying to make the Indy/Minn game their "big" early game. I'd bet that, due to certain sales arrangements, they have to deliver a sizable audience for that particular game.

Fortunately (kind of) for Bills fans, Albany is a smaller market and losing that market doesn't hurt the Indy/Minn delivery all that much, The flip side of being small, is you often have less intelligent and forceful people in charge at the stations, and less influential people as your contact at the network.

Best bet is to continue to call, email, etc. Use the radio, letter to the editor, whatever, to try and get the attention of the station and convince them to make the necessary phone calls/emails. The person at the station may come to their senses, and your letters/emails/calls will serve as evidence to CBS that the Bills' game is in the station's and network's best interest.

Another good approach is, if you own a business that does a lot of TV advertising (or are friends with someone who does), have them call the Local Sales Manager (or GSM) and offer to buy some spots in the game IF it is the Bills game.