Obama Pastor Problems

What's the issue? Obama properly disassociated himself from Rev Wright and the church. Are we responsible for what O.J. did because we attended Bills games, even if we've disassociated ourselves from him?

Did OJ marry you and baptize your children, and serve as your mentor?

''I can no more disown [Wright] than I can disown my white grandmother,''

What's the issue? Obama properly disassociated himself from Rev Wright and the church. Are we responsible for what O.J. did because we attended Bills games, even if we've disassociated ourselves from him?

Yes, it would reflect badly on us if we were part of OJ's personal posse and turned a blind eye to trouble over the years, only disavowing him after it became convenient.

Because it's not about him associating with him now. It's about his long association with him in the past. Obama has made a point of saying that Wright was an important mentor of his and helped shape many of his core beliefs. Obama thought him a suitable godfather to his children and made him a close family friend. For those of us still trying to understand what Obama's core beliefs are, that makes his mentor fair game. It was Obama who singled out Wright's influence in his biography, not the media.

Yes, it would reflect badly on us if we were part of OJ's personal posse and turned a blind eye to trouble over the years, only disavowing him after it became convenient.

Because it's not about him associating with him now. It's about his long association with him in the past. Obama has made a point of saying that Wright was an important mentor of his and helped shape many of his core beliefs. Obama thought him a suitable godfather to his children and made him a close family friend. For those of us still trying to understand what Obama's core beliefs are, that makes his mentor fair game. It was Obama who singled out Wright's influence in his biography, not the media.

To be fair, Obama only had a relationship with the public persona of Wright.

He's not responsible for Wright's private actions, nor would I really expect him to be aware of this stuff. How well do you know your minister, even one you really connected with? For those who went to college, how well did you know your academic advisor/professors who helped you shape your own thoughts? Do you know what's under their mattresses or in their cupboards? In 20 years, if you find out that a friend of yours raped someone while you knew them, does that mean you have to take responsibility for what they did privately? Obama has publicly divorced from Wright b/c the dude went nuts when the spotlight shone on him and the public and the private sides melded to create a pretty disgusting figure. I've had a few 'I don't even know who you are anymore' moments myself.

Disclaimer: I'm not voting for Obama. I'm not voting for McCain. My only point here is to get us back to things that actually matter. Discuss actual policy. The health care thread a while back was a great example of this --- but judging from the general lack of interest shown in that thread, I'm forced to conclude that people would rather throw around vague boogey-man ex parte conspiracy theories about both campaigns... and then have the gall to bemoan the the lack of substantive debate!

*edited

To be fair, Obama only had a relationship with the public persona of Wright.

He's not responsible for Wright's private actions, nor would I really expect him to be aware of this stuff. How well do you know your minister, even one you really connected with? For those who went to college, how well did you know your academic advisor/professors who helped you shape your own thoughts? Do you know what's under their mattresses or in their cupboards? In 20 years, if you find out that a friend of yours raped someone while you knew them, does that mean you have to take responsibility for what they did? Obama has publicly divorced from Wright b/c the dude went nuts when the spotlight shone on him.

I'm not so sure. As Pastor, ok - that's a distant relationship. But wouldn't you be closer than that to someone you chose to be the godfather of your children? Obama's earlier accounts painted the relationship as that of a close family friend and mentor.

I'm not so sure. As Pastor, ok - that's a distant relationship. But wouldn't you be closer than that to someone you chose to be the godfather of your children? Obama's earlier accounts painted the relationship as that of a close family friend and mentor.

Exactly. Anyone who chooses this man to be a mentor, close friend, inspiration, God-father, and use his quote to pen an autobiography goes a little beyond the externals of friendship. I agree that Wright's affair has nothing to do with policy, but I also believe his anti-white diatribes, along with his perverted sense of justice is exactly how Obama believes, but won't say it.

For that reason alone he should be disqualified. Take the same connections Obama has with Rezko or Wright and his career would be over if he was a Republican, and that's not saying much since they sold out years ago.